Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Bobm470
Aspirant
Aspirant
For some reason the camera on my front door doesn't always work. Sometimes it will pick up people walking up and coming in and leaving and walking off. Sometimes it will just pick them up and record when they are walking up but not when they walk out and leave. Sometimes it doesn't show them walking up coming in but it will get them when they leave. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

What sensitivity setting have you got the camera set for?

PIR motion sensors work best when the subject moves across the field of view. Objects moving towards or away from the camera are far more difficult to pick up. With this, you may need to reconsider the position of your camera to get the optimal response. Alternatively, you could do what I've done and have a second camera at 90 degrees to the first camera and have each camera trigger themselves to record as well as triggering each other. This requires a custom recording mode and additional rules.

Also, the Arlo Pro has a much better motion sensor than the original Arlo Wirefree.

Bobm470
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is set at 80% the way it came. I have had the system around 3 months. It has just recently started this. I do have the Arlo Pro. I can't see how to put a picture on here of it's positioning.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

My recommendation is to set the sensitivity at 100. Then each time you get a false alert (notification / recording) within 30 minutes of a previous one, turn the sensitivity down by 1. Eventually you'll get to a point where the sensitivity setting is great for capturing what you want captured and there are minimal false alerts. I generally find it's in the low 90s but YMMV depending on the location. The added bonus of having it fine tuned is that your batteries also last longer. Try to avoid having a lot of trees of bushes that sway in the wind in the frame if you can

Bobm470
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am not getting false readings. When it records something is there. Sometimes it will get them coming and then not leaving. Sometimes it will not get them coming but will get them leaving. Sometimes it will get them coming and leaving.
I will try setting the sensitivity and see if that helps. Thanks for the help Steve.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. You shouldn't get false alerts when your sensitivity is as low as the stock standard 80. Hopefully you'll find a higher level that will get them coming and going consistently

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can insert images using the share feature when viewing a video from your library or by using the Insert image icon just above the text box when replying here (looks like a mountain with the sun/moon).  You can also host it from an Internet site like Dropbox, etc. and post the link here.