Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ElsieR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on how to get my Arlo pro to trigger sooner than it does.  I installed 3 cameras yesterday, two indoors and one outside. It's the outside camera that is giving me problems. As you can see from the photo below (camera eye view) it covers the yard and the back door.  Problem is it doesn't trigger until you reach the bird feeder on the right of the picture, therefore completely missing anyone coming in the gate and going in the back door. 

I have the motion set to 90% but still no joy. The camera is at the edge of the wifi range (it does have a stable connection in live view), could this be the issue or is it the camera's view that is causing the problem. 1523370974097.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can't see pic yet till the mod approves it...

Yes the low signal can cause delays sometimes as the camera sees a trigger event and sends notice to the base, the base responds back with a record event

But , you can still increase you sense level and make sure the traffic is going accross the FOV if possible.

Another "trick" is to use the pan/zoom feature and reduce the picture view by 15-20%.  Since the PIR detector covers the entire FOV even if smaller picture, the trigger event happens out side of the view... it now appears that the camera reacts faster.

This work best for smaller areas.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can't see pic yet till the mod approves it...

Yes the low signal can cause delays sometimes as the camera sees a trigger event and sends notice to the base, the base responds back with a record event

But , you can still increase you sense level and make sure the traffic is going accross the FOV if possible.

Another "trick" is to use the pan/zoom feature and reduce the picture view by 15-20%.  Since the PIR detector covers the entire FOV even if smaller picture, the trigger event happens out side of the view... it now appears that the camera reacts faster.

This work best for smaller areas.

ElsieR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  The problem is now solved. I upped the sensitivity to 100%  and repositioned the camera by just a few degrees to the right. It now picks up as soon as the gate starts opening or someone comes out of the door. I still have a full view of the yard from the outbuildings where the camera is located. The signal strength is up now too, due to me turning off the old router to my previous camera system - the old router was on 2.4g and situated between the arlo base and this camera. I am using rules for all three cameras, and schedules,  which once I'd got my head around how to use them is brilliant. On the whole I am delighted with how easy these cameras are to install and operate.

I've noticed that due to signal strength the yard cam is consuming more battery than the others, so I will consider the solar charger. Not sure how affective it will be in the UK during winter though. Maybe a spare battery and charger might be the best option - I'm undecided.

Once again thank you for the advice.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe a spare battery and charger might be the best option - I'm undecided.

I lean toward a couple of spare batteries ... reason is the solar does not charge on cloudy days nor when temp is below 32d F ( bttery will not charge below freezing as possible damage can occur ).

Also charge your batteries in a charge tube ( Pro/ Pro2 ) as they will get a true 100% charge. ( if charged in camera they get an 80% charge ( that will read as 100% ) so as not to cause damage from overcharging