Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
dansta
Tutor
Tutor

Hello there, 

I was wondering in terms of motion detection, is there any future planned updates to give you the ability to draw out a detection area? That way you could have a view of the road at the end of the driveway, but it wouldn't trigger until an object entered say the driveway, as an example. 

From my understanding now, the camera will record upon detection of anything within its field of view, please do correct me if I am wrong as I am trying to research as much as possible before investing in this system. 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
AFAIK, there's no plans to have zones for the wireless cameras. The Q cameras do have this due to a different detection scheme. I use a small piece of black plastic electrical tape to mask the PIR detectors from unwanted areas of detections. Lo-tech but it works.
dansta
Tutor
Tutor

any pictures you could show me of this solution? I guess its a great low tech interm thing but having such a programmable area for detection would be pretty great. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'll see if I can get a couple tomorrow. You may need to remind me.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's two different cameras - you'll have to wait for them to be approved. Ignore the cobwebs - they're gone now 🙂 :

cam1.jpg

cam 2.jpg

dansta
Tutor
Tutor

thanks for that. I will have to look into implementing something of that nature also I guess. 

dfwald
Tutor
Tutor

The motion detection has a max range so I highly doubt it would pick up traffic at the end of a driveway if mounted on a house unless the driveway is pretty short.  If it does, you could always dial down the sensitivity and that could function as a defining of a detection distance.

Budman1
Tutor
Tutor

My motion detector is set to 1% and I get messages every 2 minutes from both cameras.  One is aimed at an empty front porch and one is aimed at the street 75 ft away.  When it was on 80% it easily saw every car but missed the main part of the driving and only caugt the last 1/3 of the recording.

Now that it is on 1%, it just alerts every 2 minutes.  and the other one also.

I am a novice.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Take the camera into a quiet room and let it sit pointed at a blank wall with no shadows moving. If it still does this, try reinserting the battery to reset it. Last resort is to swap at the store or open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.