Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Triggering Constantly

Discussion stats
abesai
Guide
Guide

I have set motion sensitivity to 1 and I am getting a notification every 10-30 seconds even though there is no real motion going on.

HELP!

This is driving me insane. My phone is constantly going off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Bad camera. Contact support.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where did you set the sensitivity?  Not in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Motion Detection Test, I hope.  It should be set in the Mode tab.  Click on your base and edit your modes (Armed by default). Be sure to save changes.

If it's set correctly and still doing this, temporarily move the camera to an area where no motion should be happening and test.  It's possible it's a bad camera.

Phlier
Star
Star

There are a ton of threads talking about this. Here's one of them.

abesai
Guide
Guide

I've set it to 1 using the Modes.

I've moved it from the garage, to the driveway, to the basement facing a wall.

Here is an example of the "motion" that is detected:

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Disarming then arming stopped the false notifications for me sensitivity level at 100 android. Is this happenin during the day? My issue was just at night false notifications after live view or a real triggern 4 false ones a minute apart
abesai
Guide
Guide

It seems like it happens more at night. like every 10-30 seconds.

In the day it's like every 1-5 minutes, facing a wall.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Bad camera. Contact support.
kingpro
Tutor
Tutor

I get the same thing. This is my second camera after I had to return one with the exact same issue. It seems that after chcecking Live View it triggers something that then sends notifications ALL NIGHT LONG. In the morning I have a dead battery and 600 10 second recorded clips of nothing. By nothing I mean I have a clip of my back yard but nothing in the recording that would trigger the record.

I've tries multiple locations, multiple full system resets, and multiple sensitivity and motion settings. Same thing.

All that being said, I bought a two camera system and the camera on my front porch works perfectly.

lwhitty
Tutor
Tutor

Having the exact same problem. I've had a support ticket open for about a week, even though the issue happens in a completely dark, vacant room with the camera facing the wall. After I perform a live view and wake up the camera, or after a legitimate motion is detected, Arlo proceeds to record hundreds of videos until the battery dies. Very frustrating.

rmwill77
Tutor
Tutor

same problem with me!!!  Looks like a trend, time for support to address this or we all need to send our cameras back.  Mine is mostly at night but during the day at times.  This is instane, $250 for a single camera and this is how it works?  WOW!

kingpro
Tutor
Tutor
Seems like a bad batch of PIR camera sensors made it through QC.
Time to step up to the plate Netgear. Like I said, one of my cameras works perfectly. I just expect my second camera to do the same.
I really want to like this product and think has good potential. I just don't want to have to spend so much time troubleshooting a product that should be set and forget. I feel like a beta tester.
Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had one of my exchanged and the behavior moved to a different camera. Once you get a real or live view false notification try disarming and rearm the system to prevent the constant false notifications.... it works for me. A hastle yes but I believe Netgear will push a fix I'm a second gen owner Arlo users and eventually they will fix it
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue. Can you confirm you still see the same behavior when audio is disabled for the camera?

Consider disabling or reducing audio sensitivity and test to see if you get the same results:

How do I change the audio sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Audio Settings > toggle off speaker and microphone

JamesC

rmwill77
Tutor
Tutor
I took mine back and got a nest.
abesai
Guide
Guide

I got a replacement camera.

However, why would audio sensitivity effect motion detection? Cat LOL

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine was armed with motion only exchanged mine and the behavior moved to another camera. So at night when the false notifications start I disarm wait a few secs and arm system. This usually stops the notifications. A hassle yes but I can live with it til a fix is pushed out.

I do remember an issue with the original Arlo when you would log onto the app the false notifications would start.... there was a fix do for that so it's just a matter of figuring out the issue and pushing out the fix. Good Boy Arlo
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update with more information as soon as I can. We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

tgabtg
Guide
Guide

Add me to the list of customers with issues as well.

I have 2 Arlo Pro cameras.  One in the frontyard one in the backard they are activated via schedule from 9:00PM - 5:00AM.

The front yard camera once triggered via Live View or motion will then continue to record due to motion until the battery runs out or I disable it.  The back yard camera has performed better in that once it is triggered it will usually record around 5 times in a row but eventually settles down.

I'm going to swap the cameras front to back today and see if the issue follows the camera or stays with the location.

I really want to love these things but so far I'm disappointed.  I'm rooting for the engineering team to come up with a fix!

Jhambrook
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue! Starting to hate this product.... or even an option to just tell it to take a image every minute or so so I can review the file... taking the product back and getting a normal webcam.
Chesto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there soon a fix for this issue, JamesC?. Or replace the camera? I have Arlo Pro for a few days now. 1 camera at the front and 1 in de backyard. 1 of the camera's triggering constantly. Last night 465 clips of 30 seconds and almost an empty battery :(. Now the camera is inside the house, but the same problem, even nobody is in de room!!!. Please fix this problem very soon.

Chesto (The Netherlands)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a hardware problem. Open a case with support or swap the system at the store.

kingpro
Tutor
Tutor
After opening an RMA I'm on my third camera and for the time being it's been working as expected. No problems.
I originally bought the 2 camera Arlo Pro system. 1 camera worked as expected straight out of the box. As mentioned above the second camera has been replaced twice.
When working correctly the system is great. Customer Service has been responsive you just need to be proactive and go through the return process. A bit of a hassle. I think they had a run of bad cameras. It doesn't seem like it's something a software or firmware upgrade can take care of. I understand the frustration. I was about to return the entire system but CS stepped up to the plate. We'll see how the product holds up over times and with future software upgrades.
abesai
Guide
Guide

I had my faulty one replaced and the replacement is working as expected. So, 2 working arlo pros now.

tgabtg
Guide
Guide
I swapped my front to back and the problem followed the camera.

The camera is fine during the day when armed.

It seems to be related to night vision. If the camera arms itself at 8:30pm and there is no motion it won't trigger. If I switch live view on then off it will keep triggering until I disarm it or If I switch night vision off it will settle down.

Could the IR be triggering the motion sensor somehow?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it's a hardware issue.  Open a case with support.