Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Tutor
Tutor

Recently got rid of Ring doorbell and got started with Arlo doorbell, and already 2FA comes along and messes up a great replacement for old doorbell. Guess I'll keep looking for another option. Anyone find a suitable replacement without 2FA?

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Tutor
Tutor

Eufy, anyone??

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had some unwanted visitors today and I wanted to see what they were up to so I grabbed the iPad, clicked the Arlo app and viola.... it wanted the 2FA passcode!! Of course my phone is nowhere near me, at least not within 2 short minutes (passcord timeout time).  So we just shrugged our shoulders and looked out the windows LIKE WE DID BEFORE SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY ON AN ARLO SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@EOSJOE

"LIKE WE DID BEFORE SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY ON AN ARLO SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's because Arlo is * and now we all have to either struggle with it or get something else.  Arlo is going to see just how much they will struggle staying in business with their lack of desire to please their customers who soon will be customers of a DIFFERENT company.

Jnop
Star
Star

This is utter crap! Now you've enabled two step authentication AGAIN. How do we disable this? Why does Arlo keep making the product WORSE? Now I have to go update all of the reviews I made, and then some, urging people to NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. The bait and switch with the doorbell was bad enough, now we can't disable an annoying feature that many simply do not want. 

Jnop
Star
Star

You've done it again. How do we disable two step authentication? I do not want and, never wanted it. First you bait and switch your customers with the doorbell, now you're making the product even worse.  STOP! 

Jnop
Star
Star
Allow two factor authentication to be disabled. If your product is so insecure that you have to require 2FA, then you you have much bigger problems. No one is asking for this and it makes using the device harder…or is that the point?
Jnop
Star
Star
For the past year I’ve been doing a morning radio show just outside of Washington DC, I can’t wait to talk about this. The only reason the company is forcing us to do two factor authentication is because they can’t protect our data themselves. That’s a very serious problem and it’s not solved by just forcing it on the customers. Arlo has lost my trust and I’ll never buy again, and I will take every chance I can to dissuade anyone else from buying.
Jnop
Star
Star
Best thing you can do is tell others. Update your reviews on every website, write letters to review websites, post on social media, the company is dishonest and this is not the first time they’ve done this.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jnop

"This is utter crap! Now you've enabled two step authentication AGAIN. How do we disable this? Why does Arlo keep making the product WORSE? Now I have to go update all of the reviews I made, and then some, urging people to NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. The bait and switch with the doorbell was bad enough, now we can't disable an annoying feature that many simply do not want."

I couldn't agree with you more, and ARLO is only going to hurt themselves with this BS.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jnop

"Best thing you can do is tell others. Update your reviews on every website, write letters to review websites, post on social media, the company is dishonest and this is not the first time they’ve done this."

Again Jnop, I agree with you and the others here do too!!!

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jnop

"For the past year I’ve been doing a morning radio show just outside of Washington DC, I can’t wait to talk about this. The only reason the company is forcing us to do two factor authentication is because they can’t protect our data themselves. That’s a very serious problem and it’s not solved by just forcing it on the customers. Arlo has lost my trust and I’ll never buy again, and I will take every chance I can to dissuade anyone else from buying."

Keep spreading the word Jnop.  This is BS!!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't - it's a security feature, just as with your bank or many other sites. Remember the camera hacks of last year with Ring, etc. where hackers were viewing and communicating with kids? Pretty much any company that provides some sort of secure data storage will require this. You may not want/need it but if made optional I could see lawsuits when someone opts out and then has an issue.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Tutor
Tutor

Well, my new Eufy is on the way. No more 2FA!

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, and please let us know what you find out about Eufy-good or bad.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

"Well, my new Eufy is on the way. No more 2FA!"

Glad to hear you found a GOOD new system.  I am still shopping but I will find a good new one too!

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<"Well, my new Eufy is on the way. No more 2FA!"

Glad to hear you found a GOOD new system. I am still shopping but I will find a good new one too!>>

Please keep us updated if you find something different/decent. Same thing with the folks who are trying the Eufy system; please let us know how it compares.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

ReoLink cameras....

1080p up to 8k resolution

WIFI or POE

Battery, solar, outlet powered, or POE

Tilt, pan, zoom, color night vision

2 or 3TB NVR (network video recorder, works with wifi cameras also, no need to run wires) or SD Card

Records 24/7 or with motion

View live feeds of multiple cameras on one monitor at the same time

Time lapse feature

Cloud service available if you want (but an NVR is your own "cloud")

View in browser, Windows App, Mac OS app, Android app, iOS app (push or email notifications)

What more do you need.... check them out.

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<ReoLink cameras.>>

Hmm . . looks promising and affordable. 

Couple of questions, if you know . . . was hard to find on web site.

1. When the camera sends you an alert, does it also send the photo. (It's nice to see right away if it's a cat or something else.);   EDIT: FOUND ON WEB SITE . . . YES, EMAILS SNAPSHOT OF EVENT

2. I'm assuming, though it wasn't clear, you can make the siren optional? I don't want it going off with every false alarm or amazon delivery) EDIT: FOUND SOME INFORMATION . . YOU CAN TURN OFF THE SIREN BUT DOES THAT MEAN YOU ALSO CAN'T TRIGGER IT FROM THE APP? UNCLEAR.

3. It's all through your own wifi setup, right? There's no controlling hub or anything? EDIT: LOOKS LIKE ALL FEATURES CONTROLLED BY APP

Looks really promising . . . If you actually buy 'em and try 'em, let us know how they are.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Yup you got it....

Email sends picture if you want, push does not.

Can turn off siren for motion alerts and still manually trigger it if needed.

Yes, no hub, all thru wifi or ethernet or they also have 4G cameras.

Just note: not all cameras support all the features so make sure you do the research. Things like 24/7 recording on battery is not available, other things like if you use a NVR time lapse isn't available, some battery cams don't do detection zones, some cameras have color night vision some only black and white, different resolutions, little things like that.

denikar
Initiate
Initiate

The mandatory two-step authentication is extremely annoying as I am now required to perform this every single time I login using  the SAME PC. I will be looking for options other than Arlo.

bravodelta29
Guide
Guide

I'm not a fan of the 2FA.  This can't be turned off?  It should be our choice whether or not to activate 2FA.  It's kind of a pain in the * when I'm at work and need to access my cameras.  I own the damn things.  

dcfox1
Master
Master

@bravodelta29 wrote:

I'm not a fan of the 2FA.  This can't be turned off?  It should be our choice whether or not to activate 2FA.  It's kind of a pain in the ass when I'm at work and need to access my cameras.  I own the damn things.  

I wish it was optional also but you can make your computer at work a Trusted device while going through the 2FA if they allow it since I guess they don't allow your phone at work.  It is said to last 14 days but at first I had to do it every 5 or so. It has been good as of the past week or so. 

Wkam22
Initiate
Initiate

This is completely unnecessary. Every time I go to look at my cameras on my pc I have to do the 2 step *? I DONT WANT IT!!! It should be optional. I will never purchase another arlo product.  

FreakyDeaky
Initiate
Initiate

They really don't give a bleep about your problems.