Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shauncore wrote:

So today I got a login screen on the website to set up 2FA, which can't be bypassed. Does anyone know why this is suddenly an emergency?

It's been on their list for a long time.  The reason they waited until now to pull the trigger on it is that they agreed to wait until they provided the ability to trust the browser.  They rolled that out a couple of weeks ago.  (Note: the trust is limited to 2 weeks, after that you need to re-execute the 2FA).

As far as why, mandatory 2FA was triggered by some very creepy (and very well publicized) consequences of hacked Ring accounts that hit affected Ring owners in late 2019.  

Though I'd like 2FA to be optional myself, I can see why Arlo (and Ring) decided not to do that.  

shauncore
Guide
Guide

Wow, that's terrible. I thought my bank and Coinbase were bad requiring reauthentication every month, Arlo is beating even that. And there's no reason for it in the first place... What, is someone going to steal my laptop, know the laptop password, AND know my Arlo password? Oh, and me not think to change the password. Ridiculous... You should only have to authorize a device once ever.

That's not even going into the fact that it's Arlo, so it won't even work right. Guess it's time to start looking at other systems... Thanks for the response!

jvoskuil
Tutor
Tutor

This is not a solution. This is a stubborn refusal to offer your customers reasonable choices while using your products.

Nichols55
Star
Star

Welp, it finally occurred.  2 step verification forced upon us. Unbelievable that you couldn't make it optional.  Now I'm on the hunt for a new security system.   

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, they just locked me out of my cameras unless I bow to their dictatorship. I did NOT agree to two-step when I bought this system. It was never even mentioned. Put it back the way it was. This is NOT a security system, it's a history of events. By the time I go thru all their crap, whoever might be at the door is long gone.

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep - I'm locked out of my system. My phone has a green button "Secure My Account" that does nothing when I push it and my PC only gives me the option of downloading the mobile APP.  At least it WORKED the last time they forced it upon us.

dave4u69
Star
Star

What are you doing Arlo Im now locked out and going through your bull**bleep** log in again. listen to all the people and make it optional.put the switch back to turn this rubbish login off PLEASE.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

Give us the choice of disabling the two step authentication.  It takes long enough for your cameras to alarm us of any movement and now this. Ridiculous. When I bought these cameras I bought them because it didn't required that.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is mandatory again. We need a choice to disable it. This is taking too much time when you get a notification. We should have a saying on this. 

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

That choice is not there anymore.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same thing today and no way to disable it.  I am really upset with this. The cameras are already slow and now you have to this all day. We need a choice to disable it.  Our cameras, our choice. Nothing they upgrade is for better functionality. I wish I have never bought these cameras 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@aa1113 wrote:

It is mandatory again. We need a choice to disable it. This is taking too much time when you get a notification. We should have a saying on this. 

Have you made your PC a trusted device? You don't need 2FA every time Just after 14 days now. Better then before. So every two weeks. I do agree it should be optional but I can live with this instead of every time. 

rickybobby99
Initiate
Initiate

This is a ridiculous policy to force people to authenticate every 14 days.  Users should only have to authenticate a device one time.  The whole benefit of remote monitoring to be able to check in from multiple devices - AND to do so quickly.   

If I can log into Amazon over and over and over (where I am actually purchasing things and have my credit at risk) without "re-authenticating" then there is no excuse for this policy other than an over zealous security policy on the part Arlo. 

Solution - have people 'sign off" and release and hold Arlo harmless in the event someone logs into their system as a result of bypassing these oppressive policies.

If not - I too will be purchasing cameras elsewhere (and I was just getting ready to upgrade my whole system)

owlboy
Initiate
Initiate

I also agree with everyone that this two step verification SUCKS! 

What is Arlo trying to protect? A hacker would have to know your address AND know you have an Arlo account before he could hack into your password. And then what will he see? Racoons and hummingbirds? What does he do with this "valuable"  information?

Of more concern is Arlo's deaf ears. They are bent on ramming this **bleep** down our throats.

I also will be looking for alternative cameras. Blink? Ring?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Looking for a new system, check out Reolink. They have any type of camera you want from HD to 8K. Also buy an NVR so you can have your own cloud in your house for free. Why pay for cloud storage when you can have your own cloud, at your home, under your control, for free. I have a few Reolink POE and battery wifi connected to a 3TB NVR. Better and cheaper than arlo, ring, blink, or whoever else. Check them out.

IHateArloAgain
Aspirant
Aspirant

I find it ironic that when I first encountered this mandatory 2 step verification, I was still within my warranty period and Arlo team showed me how to disable it.  Now that my warranty has expired, it is popping up again. This is not right, and I am less safe having to do this two-step verification.  I need to access cameras quickly... Yet all I get is canned responses ... Arlo you should be ashamed of yourself.

CurbAppeal
Star
Star
Of course, when forced to enable 2FA it doesn’t work.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just like this country's government ARLO you have turned into a DICTATORSHIP.  As soon as I can find a suitable replacement system that allows ME,,,, THE ONE WHO OWNS IT, to have control over it, I will trash my ARLO.  NO ONE will want to buy it from me when I tell them about 2FA here!!!

speedycamera
Star
Star

DO NOT WANT 2 STEP  - STOP IT !!!!!!!!!  OR ILL GET A DIFFERENT CAMERA SYSTEM I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT CAN'T BE DONE DIDN'T WE GO THROUGH THIS A FEW MONTHS AGO JESUS CHRIST  GET WITH IT ARLO WE ARE GOING FOR ANOTHER SYSTEM YOUR SYSTEM SUCKS.  

Daisymel
Tutor
Tutor

Adding my two cents here.  Two-step verification is utterly useless for me, and is, in fact, dangerous.  If there is an emergency and I need to access the camera feed immediately, I sure as heck don't want to wait another second for an email, text, or notification, then try to fight with an access code to access MY cameras.  I was able to disable this once before.  If it cannot be disabled, as with others, I will sell the system and not recommend it further.  Totally defeats the purpose of having a security camera.  Customer should have option as to how to operate their system.

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great Plan! Think I'll follow your lead. After all, arlo is only a list of historical events.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ Speedycamera

QUOTE: "DO NOT WANT 2 STEP  - STOP IT !!!!!!!!!  OR ILL GET A DIFFERENT CAMERA SYSTEM I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT CAN'T BE DONE DIDN'T WE GO THROUGH THIS A FEW MONTHS AGO  GET WITH IT ARLO WE ARE GOING FOR ANOTHER SYSTEM YOUR SYSTEM SUCKS."

I totally agree with you!!!  EVERYONE agrees with you!!!  ARLO has become a DICTATOR just as the United States government is now and it MUST STOP.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@aa1113

"I have the same thing today and no way to disable it.  I am really upset with this. The cameras are already slow and now you have to this all day. We need a choice to disable it.  Our cameras, our choice. Nothing they upgrade is for better functionality. I wish I have never bought these cameras"

I could not agree with you more!!!  Let's trash these cameras!  Arlo's bottom line is the only thing that could change this!

dcfox1
Master
Master

"I have the same thing today and no way to disable it.  I am really upset with this. The cameras are already slow and now you have to this all day.

You don't have to do it every day. It last for a PC for 14 days. I do agree it should be optional. 

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine is asking everyday