Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
hennesbe
Star
Star

And I'd venture a guess that some of the complainers don't even have the cameras.  They just like to make noise

ChrisDekker
Guide
Guide

🤣🤣🤣

very true.   some of the complainers probably just come here to make noise about nonexistent cameras.  this site is a ripe target for trolls.

😂

ChrisDekker
Guide
Guide

Because this is yet another fail in a litany of failures.

This particular issue just came to the forefront the last couple days along with the other failure, namely, the issue with geofencing

yes, they are "working on fixing it"  like they have been working on all other issues, and we should just STFU and plonk our $600 at Costco and buy the shiny new set!!  Problem solved!!

Incompetent, greedy companies would love nothing more than cowering customers who just spend their after-tax $600, and just "grin and bear it"

dcfox1
Master
Master

@ChrisDekker  You just signed up today with this user name and said the same thing in 9 post in the Arlo Pro forum in different threads today. You made your point. 

ChrisDekker
Guide
Guide

And will continue to do so and will encourage others from doing so as well.  These failures have been going on for too long, and someone needs to jolt these mofos up

I am not rich and my $600 after tax dollars are important for me.

IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have complained about not getting the promised 7 days of cloud storage.  Only 6 days. I've lost videos I wanted to download.    I can't be the only one.

Perhaps a deluge of posts on that topic will get results. I've literally spent 4+ hours on the phone with 5 people, incl technical managers.   It's not hard to count to 7.

JillRamstein
Aspirant
Aspirant

@IshmaelB  have you tried to call customer service?  They are actually very helpful and may be able to provide you with the lost recording links.  It is worth a shot at least.

IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JillRamstein JillRamstein

Yes, I called them within 2 hours and spent the next 4 on the phone with them.  Starting in the RP, the US support.  I told them it was likely the videos were only logically deleted, not physically deleted.  That's the way I handle "deletes" for later actual physical deleting.  They were not technical enough to know how to get me links or to restore the videos which were still within in the 7 day window.  Each person asked me the same questions, I gave the same answers. They were polite, but not of any real help.  The case is still outstanding, with an update yesterday and today, each asking for contact information.   I gave them everything they needed, but this is a policy issue not a technical one.  They are stingy with cloud storage resources it seems.   They should not delete day 7 to make room for the next day's videos.  They can do a rolling cleanup down to the second if they so choose, or let it go longer like Netgear used to do.  The new owners are milking existing customers and trying push them to upgrade.  Not very nice.

Knoet2007
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi: I am a bit fed up with the Arlo dual authentication, etc We loved it when we first got it bu now it is frustrating to even try to view videos. What are some good alternatives?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Knoet2007 wrote:
Hi: I am a bit fed up with the Arlo dual authentication,

You can just disable it.  Arlo has said they won't require it until they support PC browsers as trusted.

Knoet2007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but that wasn't the question.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Knoet2007 wrote:

Thanks, but that wasn't the question.

What was the question, if you just turn it off what is the problem as it will work as before? 

Jamesfiro
Guide
Guide

Totally absurd requirement. I am all for whoever wants to file a lawsuit against Arlo for changing the game after we are suckered into this system. They now get to have most of us avoid checking our cameras just because of the hassle of doing so. Nice way to avoid doing what we paid you to do. I used to check my devices numerous times a day, now once per week. Maybe we should make our bosses at work use a two step authentication system to get us to work, We would then be paid for doing nothing, just like Arlo. Never again will I fall for this sucker game Arlo should be ashamed. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Jamesfiro  Why not just turn it off?

hennesbe
Star
Star

turning it off would be to easy.   A lot of people just like to be A-holes

Tbaby
Tutor
Tutor

@Jamesfiro , I did not select 2step verification. It gave me the option to fingerprint (on phone) and when I login on pc I just approve/deny thru phone notifications.  That's my 2 step. Unfortunately, that leaves me out of the lawsuit.  Wish you well.

Jamesfiro
Guide
Guide

Yes. I am the jerk that did not realize it could simply be turned off. I am sure I am not alone. Thats whats great about this forum. Learn how to resolve issues. In this case it was my issue and thanks for the advice. Problem solved.

CurbAppeal
Star
Star

@hennesbe Why do you feel the need to call someone an a-hole when they feel they deserve the product they bought based on statements made by the company but did not get?  I feel the exact same way.  I spent a significant amount of money on this system that is useless as a security system.  The reason this thread is here and continues is because people are fed up.  Instead of taking that feedback and improving, this company continues to frustrate its customers.  

Also, Arlo is still showing 2FA is required on their site! They are a terrible company that can't communicate and have sold a product that they cannot support.  

hennesbe
Star
Star

just turn it off

dcfox1
Master
Master

Why some keep complaining about this is beyond me. A lot just post not reading prior posts that you can just turn it off or complain just for the sake of it. The requirement warning is even gone. 

Jamesfiro
Guide
Guide

I am sure I am not the only one that was stuck in this for months automatically before realizing it can be turned off. That alone is wrong. I never made a conscious decision to turn it on, why am I forced to turn it off if it is unwanted. I still contend it is one way of keeping us from using their service unbeknownst to us.

Tbaby
Tutor
Tutor

@Jamesfiro , I see it as a choice of whether you want to use it or not (for now) until they come up with a resolution. While other accounts I have recommend that you use the 2 step verification, Arlo is the first to make it mandatory. Personally, I don't mind because if I get that notification and I know its not me, I will deny it and change my password and let them know there is an issue.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Jamesfiro wrote:

I never made a conscious decision to turn it on, why am I forced to turn it off if it is unwanted. I still contend it is one way of keeping us from using their service unbeknownst to us.

No one is forcing you to turn it off, that's up to you. 

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right now I do not have to use the two step shuffle. All is working somewhat ok. I can log on to arlo with any of my devices. Don't know why it takes from 2 to 3 minutes for the notifications to let me know something trip the camera - which is now gone. But at least I have a history of what was there. Right now it's not broke so I don't want it fixed. ;>)

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jamesfiro 

Arlo pushed the 2FA announcement through the app for better than a year, so everyone who used the system knew it was coming 1. They delayed it 2 or 3 times, all the while, still pushing out the information that it was required and coming soon.  We were given no choice in the matter, but we all knew about it.  Then they pushed it out, forced us to enable it which broke many of our implementations.  Finally someone made the decision to pull it back until they could fix at least one of the major flaws (that many of us had been asking for over the previous couple of years), the ability to trust browsers.

True to their history however, they did not announce that you can now disable 2FA.  There were no push announcements on the app.  Except for up here, this information wasn't shared.  Likely >90% of Arlo users don't come up here.  The company did not do its due diligence, then just left customers hang in the wind, again.

This is not your fault for not knowing about it.  It's Arlo's.

1 This is why so many up here were complaining about their poor-planing and basically begged them not to do it at all, or at least to do it right.  Obviously, that all fell on deaf ears.)