Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

All we can do at this point is keep pressuring ARLO and keep looking for a more reliable security system since obviously ARLO does not care about satisfying their customers and making accessing their systems difficult as hell for all of us who are simply trying to check activity on our own property.  Please post here if you find a system that is reliable and does NOT require a 2FA.  Their customer base will suffer for sure, and at that time it will be too late for ARLO since once a customer is dissatisfied with a product they certainly will NOT be a return customer.  I for one will NOT for sure.

drbuilder
Guide
Guide

Someone please tell Arlo to remove the two step verification process.  At least make it optional.  I know have to carry two devices to log into my account.  Every time I try to log in on my phone, I close the Arlo app to go get the code, and when I come back with the code it says the session expired and sends me a new code.  I literally can not log into my account unless I have another device with me that can receive the code, and I don't have to leave the Arlo app on my phone.  Who at Arlo believes this is better?  I never had a problem with anyone trying to fraudulently log into my account.  Updates in todays' world are supposed to make the user experience better.  Now I'm stuck with 15 Arlo Go cameras.  If anyone at Arlo actually reads this, will you buy back my cameras since you've made them unusable?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@drbuilder  Push notifications are simpler then SMS as no code is needed.  

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only way ANY code should be used is if you could copy/paste the code, but ARLO in it's infinite wisdom doesn't want to bother to help out it's users.  The whole 2FA requirement is an OVERKILL and the user is the ONLY one who should decide on their own if they really want to use it or not.

WebDancer
Apprentice
Apprentice
The button to make the 2FA optional was available for me today about 4 hours ago when I logged in on the computer.

It was under settings/profile/2 step verification/ and up at the top.

Turned it off, and all has been good since then.

So happy! THANK YOU Arlo
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am SOOOO happy to see that ARLO finally saw the light and put a, "DISABLE" button in the 2FA option.  This is the BEST thing ARLO could have done.  I might stay with my ARLO system now, but I'll have to wait and see what happens next.  I've had problems with my, "ZOOM/PAN" function but I finally convinced ARLO that the bug was in THEIR code and they fixed it.  At this moment I have no complaints.

valglad
Guide
Guide

Thank You to Arlo for listening and a big Thank You to all active Arlo customers pushing for this change.

Nichols55
Star
Star

Yes!  Never should have been mandatory.  

Mark-M
Initiate
Initiate

I want the option to turn off two step verification. I use Arlo to view my camera areas and the two step verification interferes with my timely monitoring of issues or noises that I would want to investigate.

This added time lag (by confirming my ID, makes the system nearly useless for me and people who purchased Arlo for this purpose.. PLEASE ~TURN IT OFF

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

They haven't given me that option yet. Wonder how long it will take before I can disable it? Did you have to do something to get that option?

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

nothing a the top for me.

dcfox1
Master
Master

On web page (not Phone)  go to Profile then 2FA. It is the same place it was for me up to last week. I set up 2FA and never checked it but is there today to turn off. I assume it was gone for a week as post say it is back. 

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Got it! Thank you so much! Hope that button never goes away!

hennesbe
Star
Star

Not able to view cameras on the Mac Air for the first time today after 15 months.  

After getting authentication code it says cameras offline.

I jump to the iPhone SE and the cameras are on-line and viewable.

Maybe later everything will be okay

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get that message periodically on all my devices. Just have to shut close it out and open it again. Just another pain to contend with.

hennesbe
Star
Star

Yep,  Next time I booted up computer and signed into Arlo I saw the cameras were off-line but within a few seconds they were on line.

In a year and a half I never saw that.

rachelle007
Initiate
Initiate

I have disabled the two step verification. I went into settings in my profile under two-step verification, there is now the option to disable it. I am on my computer and viewing my arlo cameras without the annoying verification!! YAY! THANK YOU ARLO!

rachelle007
Initiate
Initiate

I have excellent security on my HP  computer - I DO NOT NEED 2 STEP VERIFICATION!!!

dave4u69
Star
Star

24/4/2021 Thank you Arlo for listening to everyone and allowing the turning off the 2 step log in.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

In early April, Arlo announced a plan to implement Two-Step Verification: Two-Step Verification Update

Since the completion of that plan on April 18th, we have received feedback from many of our users expressing concerns about the inability to trust web browsers on PC for Two-Step Verification (logging in on a PC requires authentication for every login). Due to these concerns, we are prioritizing a solution for web browsers that we will have available soon.  Additionally, Two-Step Verification will no longer be mandatory while we work to complete this solution. We will resume mandatory Two-Step Verification requirements after trusted browser support is available.

As we continue to work to introduce trusted browser support, we strongly encourage you to enable Two-Step Verification to maximize security and safeguard your Arlo account.

For more information on how to set up Two-Step Verification, please visit the following article: What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Nichols55
Star
Star

We will resume mandatory Two-Step Verification requirements after trusted browser support is available.

NOOOOOOOOOO!   Please no.  Haven't you listened to your customers?  We do NOT want mandatory two step verification.  It needs to remain an option.  This isn't difficult.    

Webfeet
Guide
Guide

Thank you for working to improve this situation.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

To Nichols55:

"We will resume mandatory Two-Step Verification requirements after trusted browser support is available."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!   Please no.  Haven't you listened to your customers?  We do NOT want mandatory two step verification.  It needs to remain an option.  This isn't difficult."

DITTO THIS ARLO!!!!!  IF YOU BRING IT BACK YOU WILL LOSE US,,, FOREVER.  I WILL NOT BE YOUR CUSTOMER AGAIN.  FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU,,,, FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME!!!!!!!

theBearFamily
Initiate
Initiate

Two-step authentication is a major inconvenience for this app.   I don’t care if anyone else sees my cameras.   This is not a banking app.  Please treat us like adults and let us choose by giving us the option. Please!

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chris67 said this:

"I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions."

I agree with Chris67.  If you are claiming that the solution is to find a trusted browser, we are back to square ONE.  The way it is RIGHT NOW is what we all want, and the way it was before you introduced that LUDICROUS 2FA.  If you leave the option available, (as you have done at this time) all of us users will be satisfied that you IN FACT APPLIED THE SOLUTION, which we suggested from the start of this STUPID 2FA process.  If you close this topic we will open it right back up.  Do you want us satisfied, or DO YOU WANT US TO GO ELSEWHERE????????