Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
dum1dum
Star
Star

this is bs  why would they add this i can nolonger use my pc  open email or have my phone near me at all time

what do you think im going to say to poeple ask me what i have for video servailance  

all i see this  when poeple google it  are not going to touch this whit a 10 foot pole

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't even have an IPHONE or Android, and THAT was one of the reasons I got my Arlo system.  All you need is a PC and the internet to access your cameras until now.  Now you have to use a STUPID 2FA code that is HARD to use even though it is YOUR OWN SYSTEM, and they refuse to make it, "OPTIONAL".  A disclaimer is all they would need to cover their asses and an, "OPT OUT" function.

Thank you ARLO,,, thank you for nothing!

GrumpyAntiArlo
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed. This is absolutely ridiculous. I can't check on my baby quickly because of this. I may as well not have the thing.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I am surprised that so many people (or say so) don't have a smart phone or even a flip phone now days. My 78 year old parents have one smart phone.  

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

It doesn't surprise me at all that a lot of people only have a flip phone.  I have no need at all to go on line when I'm out and I have 3 PCs on line at home.  Why pay $50 or whatever the going rate is to have internet access when I'm out at the gym working out.  I'm working out and that takes all my attention and I'm enjoying the TV shows the gym has on.  Too many people have an addiction to their phones.  I have my flip phone and that does all I need it to for about $100 a year.  The $50 a month would be a total waste to me.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

What's your point dcfox1? That everyone must own a smartphone and have immediate access to it?

WebDancer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Arlo Mods -

I've been a happy arlo user for 3 years. No problems with the system or performance, until 5 days ago when I was forced to set up the 2FA.

I've about reached my tolerance limit with this. Where are you with fixing this or making it an option?

Do you understand this is not working for your customers? Not to mention the problems its created for older adults or people who don't live with a smart phone in their hand?

Still waiting for answers or a solution.
speedycamera
Star
Star

I agree it is ridiculous 2sav very bad idea but they don't care I tried talking to them they said once its checked it cannot be undone, if it can't be undone then they should get better programers.

211rick
Initiate
Initiate

I use my home computer or my laptop to check my pictures and it's an unnecessary extra step that takes time and is a pain to have to keep doing every time I want to check the cameras. 

Make them trusted or get rid of the two step if a client doesn't want it!  

WebDancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was forced to set up the 2FA 5 days ago and it’s a terrible system. 

I set it up initially for SMS.  I’d like to change it to push notifications but don’t have the option when I try to edit or add an option. Just “add email” is the only option - and I’m not changing to that because it’s apparently a worse option. 

Been on hold with support for 50 minutes now, yesterday 1hr 10 minutes and no solution yet. 

How can I change this ridiculous mandate to push notifications?

Wondering if Matt McRae Arlo CEO has the same problem? 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<agree it is ridiculous 2sav very bad idea but they don't care I tried talking to them they said once its checked it cannot be undone, if it can't be undone then they should get better programers.>>

And, of course, they give you no choice BUT to check it.

dsPrometheus
Guide
Guide

Agree completely.

There are better ways to handle this and arlo seems hell bent on alienated a portion of their customer base.

Such a pain in the ass for web users and they have had plenty of time to fix this implementation.

I have cameras that need replacing too and I see no reason to put more money into this company. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

I saw other post that they can not change from SMS to Push. No idea why there would not be option for it. I had Push set up at the  start and glad I did. I do have the option for SMS though still. 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

A number of people on this site, myself included, have started looking for alternatives to the Arlo system. I hate the idea of changing systems at this point -- I actually like the way Arlo works but the two-step authorization, as I've said, now disables my primary need, instant response to an alert -- but if I can find a suitable replacement, I'm there.

Please, everyone; if you decide to leave Arlo for another company, can you share what information you've found? What did you decide to buy and how's it working for you.  So many of us, basically the majority of Arlo's base, are looking to leave Arlo over this -- make a note of this "turning point" Arlo -- and would love any/all information you find.

I need wireless, battery-powered, and no two-step verification.

Thanks.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

My friend I could NOT have said this better.  I too have reached my limits.  I am 69 years old and do not have, nor will I get an Iphone or similar.  My eyesight is also gradually declining and this is not only unfair to all of us who have systems from Arlo, it is also only going to be a future dent in Arlo's bottom line.  I will only tolerate this problem until I can find another system that does NOT require a 2FA, UNLESS Arlo sees the light and resolves this stupid ludicrous problem.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arseasttle, I commend you for articulating your frustration with your system very well, and it is obviously that the feeling that we are all sharing in regard to a STUPID 2FA requirement that Arlo has initiated.  When I find a suitable NEW system I will post it here for sure.  Thank you for sharing your perceptions of this ludicrous new requirement from Arlo.  I honestly don't think Arlo cares about us leaving, however they are going to soon see that their bottom line is going to suffer as a result of their paranoia over hackers intruding into our systems and that WE should be the only ones concerned with this and not them.

dsPrometheus
Guide
Guide

the reality is this - there are much better systems out there when you factor in the premium that arlo charges.

I will replace this system with a good old fashioned hardwired ( ethernet based ) camera system. Just find someone knowledgeable that you trust to spec out a system - and get good cameras. 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<I will replace this system with a good old fashioned hardwired ( ethernet based ) camera system.>>

Great if if works for your house, and SO much more reliable than wireless

Because of the layout of our house, our utilities, and where we want/need cameras, running ethernet would be a pain AND there's really no way to run electrical outlets either. We need wireless and battery operated . . . oh, and an opt-out choice for ANY verification.

dsPrometheus
Guide
Guide

Yes - wiring can be a pain - especially electric. That said -- PoE ( power over ethernet ) has really become reasonable at this point and many hik vision systems already support it - so that solves your electric issue.

however - yes - battery operated and wireless is a huge convenience and in some cases 100% needed - but it just can't be arlo any more.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

POE stands for Power over Ethernet. You don't need to wire electrical outlets. The power to run the cameras comes thru ("over") the ethernet cable.

All you need to do is pick some IP cameras, pick a storage device (get a NAS enclosure), and hire an experienced electrician. The equipment you get will largely depend on how much money your willing to spend. The electrician will run all the wires in no time. And if you have an attic, it's even easier. However it can be expensive. Depending on your house size, where you live, what going rates are.... expect to spend at least a thousand for the wiring. Might be less might be a lot more. Get a couple quotes if you can.

I still have arlo pro's and arlo a pro2 (and they have to rebooted all the time), but I also have a couple of ANNKE IP cameras as well. They were like $100 each. And I have a NAS. Just search google / bing, you'll find lots of info. Set a budget and start shopping.

Good luck.

David51461
Initiate
Initiate

I cant understand the Logic in forcing 2 stage authentication . You have actually created  a security problem for me and my family. Since I have a single cell phone it authenticates to If I am out of town and a family member needs to check the cams. they are SOL.  This defeats the purpose for which I have bought and installed the cams to begin with.  With Forced secondary authentication you have limited the system access to a single user. I can no longer use it in this way and hope that you will give back the choice to disable the dual authentication.  I am not the only one in my family that needs to access the cams but this has severely limited it. The mandatory secondary authentication is a big hit to my family security and does just the opposite that Arlo intended it to. I hope there are more safety conscious users out there that share the system with their family and see things my way. If it is not changed I will need to look for another device that can get the job done. I hope I did not waste my money with this system.

valglad
Guide
Guide

Hello,

Lately, I have been forced to set up the 2-Step verification for my account and other than it's been a source of inconvenience, I've been surprised at how the company handles it.

I sit in front of my laptop a large portion of my day and try to stay logged in to my arlo account via the Chrome browser. I started doing that after my Amazon parcels were stolen a couple of times - about three years ago.

I do find it inconvenient being periodically kicked out of the account and having to relog in. But I can live with it.

Now, not only that, I have to get the security code each time I need to log in again after being kicked out. I reached out to Arlo and was told a) personal computers can not be added to trusted devices and it is what it is and b) they apologize for the inconvenience.

Not only that, the company wants me to champion for the change by posting this here. 

This is what is really surprising. Not only you roll out a process that you know is not going to work for some of your customers, it is the customer responsibility to share the experience with others.  

Time and again, I was told that phones and tablets and whatever else can be trusted devices so they suggest I use them. So, you essentially eliminate one of the devices we could use yesterday but not today? Did you consult with the users to see if they want it?

When I asked them to undo the mandatory set up -- you can guess what the response was. "sorry but the answer is no"

From my standpoint -- Arlo sells service and convenience because the cameras by themselves (although quite good) are useless pieces of hardware.  Making customers aware of what's going on is the true utility of Arlo's products.

Disregarding what customers want and behaving like a monopoly is not the way to continue being successful.  

I don't know what else to say here. 

Thank you.

WebDancer
Apprentice
Apprentice
@valgad

Couldn't have said it better! Totally agree with everything you posted.

This has become a security issue for our family too.
WebDancer
Apprentice
Apprentice
@valglad ⬆️