Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
coalbear_1
Initiate
Initiate

Wasted $700 on this system!

dcfox1
Master
Master

Not sure if they are phasing it in since the date was 4/18, but I had to use it today on a tablet. I already had it set up but had to do it again. No option now to turn it off, so get used to it. 

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo are again trying to shut down discussion on this 2FA fiasco by asking someone to nominate a solution.

Topic: Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea
Date: 2021-04-07 08:24 AM

Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!

Thanks for being a Arlo Community member.

Your Arlo Community Team

THERE WILL BE NO SOLUTION UNTIL ARLO ALLOWS TRUSTED DEVICES TO BE RECOGNISED.

Murph55
Initiate
Initiate

The two step verification is worthless to me. I hate it and will not use ARLO or recommend it to others just to get to my base station and set up my cameras 

MaryGH
Initiate
Initiate

I am upset that Arlo put this 2 step verification as mandatory with no option to Opt Out.  This is an extra step that I don't want to take when I log in.  They took it upon themselves to do it with with no choice from the user.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You are not alone... multi threads on this.

I agree with you re PC access ( mostly used by me ) is stupid as they do not make a PC a trusted device and I must get an SMS via phone to log in

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
dcfox1
Master
Master

The push notification option is simpler since there is no code to enter. Earlier at least SMS needed the code to enter on the computer unless that changed. 

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep... looks like the other shoe has finally dropped.  Had someone at the door this morning and cannot access cameras without setting up the 2FA "feature".  😞

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

"The push notification option is simpler since there is no code to enter. "

That's IF you happen to have the phone with you at that moment. That's my biggest complaint about the two-step requirement; it can add a significant amount of time between when an alert happens and when you can SEE that alert. If I choose push notifications, but happen not to have the phone next to me, I don't know about the alert. An email can make it through to the phone AND the computer, but now we're introducing two different mail servers, sending and receiving, and as other have pointed out, it ain't instant!

If Arlo INSISTS on keeping the two-step verification, why not just allow someone to set an alert pin code? When you get an alert, you enter your own code and it's virtually instant. ALSO, allow us to receive the alert via email, text, AND push notifications. Why do we have to choose? 

Obviously the opt-out is the big preference but, again, if Arlo decides to require this extra step, at least make it as fast and simple as possible: multiple notifications and personal pin.

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

And what if there is no phone? We use two iPads, an iPhone and a PC to view the cameras. The primary devices are the iPads.  If someone leaves the house they take the iPhone with them and the folks remaining at home only have the iPad(s).

dcfox1
Master
Master

@EOSJOE I believe an Ipad can be trusted since the App is on it. Have you tried to add it as a trusted device?

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

@EOSJOE I believe an Ipad can be trusted since the App is on it. Have you tried to add it as a trusted device?

I'm trying it now.

dave4u69
Star
Star

2 step verification turn off button flashes for 1 second and vanishes then it wont come back to turn 2 step verification off. I was forced to add this today just to get into my cameras. This is a nightmare to use every time i go on to go to my email and get the new code number which wont copy and paste so I have to remember it or write it down to go back to arlo and insert it the time has expired. At 80 yrs old i dont need this rubbish security, banks do it too but it can be turned off. PLEASE let me turn it off.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@dave4u69  If you leave both tabs open in your browser (E-mail and Arlo)  you can quickly switch back an forth entering 3 numbers at a time if you need. I assume you don't have a phone. 

rpalmer
Guide
Guide

I agree, Arlo doesn't seem to care what people say on this forum. I've updated my Amazon review to reflect my current opinion of the Arlo product ... and I'd suggest everyone does the same. Let's help educate others ... before they waste their money. 

Jnop
Star
Star

This is a horrible thing to have implemented with no way to turn it off. First the company baits and switches on us with the doorbell camera, now we have to do deal with this mandatory waste of time. I want to turn it off.  Arlo security cannot be that bad. 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<I've updated my Amazon review to reflect my current opinion of the Arlo product ... and I'd suggest everyone does the same>>

This is what I did as well. Arlo's not going to give anyone a cash refund . . . just can't imagine that happening. (And I'm sure we all signed away all of our rights the moment we broke open the seal on the packaging.) However, updating reviews of the product is not just a way to "stick it to Arlo." I updated my review because, had I read about this requirement before purchasing, I would have gone somewhere else. More importantly, though, is that people need to know that the company had a tendency to suddenly change terms without thinking it through or, at the minimum, making sure that the actual application of the change works as intended/needed.

I really like the Arlo Pro 2 cameras and system. Basically, I haven't had any problems at all over the past couple of years and everything continue to work as expected and as desired. EXCEPT, of course, now that there's a delay in actually seeing the alerts, the primary desired feature of my purchase appears to have been neutered.

Let us authorize more than one piece of equipment at time, let us opt out if desired, and, in the alternative, let us set our own security pin. Why is this so hard?

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I HATE using a, "2 STEP LOGIN".  I already have a password and if I am REQUIRED to use this stupid 2 STEP SYSTEM I will trash these cameras and buy a whole new system from another company.  Does anyone know how to DISABLE this stupid feature???  I called ARLO and they said it's MANDATORY.  I own my system and should be able to decide if I WANT or DON'T want it enabled!!!!

IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got a canned email spouting the script given to Support.

Their operative word is "can't"

It does not matter that every bank, conservative enterprises all, can do it.

Here was my case update, which refused to be accepted, as is usual to ALL my case updates.  I suspect there is nothing behind the case-update mechanism.

To wit:

Almost every other organization can mark a device as "trusted", INCLUDING computers, not just smartphones and tablets. You need to allow a user to opt out of 2FA if you can't do this.
How can you call yourself a tech company and not provide this mechanism?
The contention that because a device is a PC and uses a web portal it can't be defined as a trusted device is ludicrous.
You are violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. and have been so informed.
I expect reasonable accommodation, be allowing me to opt out of 2FA on a PC.
Will it take a class action lawsuit to make this happen?
The community forums have been complaining for well over a year about this.

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

We have now been locked out of our cameras unless we do the ole two step wasted time and energy. When someone starts the law suit, please include me as I did not spend $800 to be dictated too. Doesn't matter what device I use, I cannot access my cameras without this stupid step. If Arlo insists on this, then I want my $800 refunded promptly so I can purchase a system that does not make this a requirement. Need to find a phone number that will be answered by a live person with authority to refund my money.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

My friend, PLEASE read my post from yesterday regarding this!  I agree with you 100% and I am TOTALLY pissed off that we don't have the ability to, "OPT OUT" as you stated.  To force us to have 2FA is wrong on so many levels.  If you feel your password is insufficient, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE IT.  It is up to YOU to decide that.  To make it harder and harder for the user of the system that the user also OWNS is ludicrous indeed.  If Arlo will NOT cooperate and make it OPTIONAL, I for one am trashing my system and buying one that will NOT force me to accept 2FA.

jahana25
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, The 2-step verification is an inconvenience for me and other family members. Can it be removed, please?

Webfeet
Guide
Guide

It has happened today.  I couldn't log in to Arlo from my phone or computer.  I couldn't log into the web portal because it said I had to download the phone app and set it up a trusted device which I had done months ago. What was up? Even though I had set up 2 step verification on the phone and had made it a trusted device it would not let me log in.  I had to uninstall and then reinstall the android app and set it up all over again.  What is wrong with these people at Arlo?   

Then I was able to log into the web portal on my computer once I had reinstalled the app on my phone and once again made it the push device for 2 step.  They STILL only allow 30 seconds to respond which is way too short.  I had my phone at the ready. It was 10 seconds before I got the push notification and I immediately hit the accept.  Yet is was past 20 seconds before it registered on my computer.    This should not be some kind of a reaction time game.

Nichols55
Star
Star

I posted a question April 16, 2021 in the "Invitation to the New Arlo App and Smart Features" regarding disabling the 2 step verification and why I thought it was necessary.  I believe, like the rest of you, that this should be an option.....NOT a mandate.  This is the response I received:

As part of our efforts to continually evolve and further strengthen our privacy and security practices, Arlo will now require all users to use two-step verification when logging into their Arlo account.  This new security mandate will go into effect for all users by April 18th, 2021.

While Arlo has strongly encouraged its users to enable two-step verification since its introduction, Arlo believes requiring this added layer of security is yet another measure we can take to help our users safeguard their accounts and their data.

We appreciate all of the feedback provided so far for two-step verification and will continue working on enhancing the two-step verification experience in the future.

For more information on how to set up two-step verification, please visit the following article: https://kb.arlo.com/000062288/What-is-two-step-verification-and-how-do-I-set-it-up

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I read on someone's post that they are filing a lawsuit regarding this.  To FORCE us to have to have a 2 step login procedure is LUDICROUS.  The USER should be the only one who controls this and IF the user chooses to allow the password they have chosen as their only protection, then THAT should be the choice of the user.

I will want to put my name in to support the class action lawsuit.  I will also be shopping for a security system that allows an, "OPT OUT" of this option.