Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey all,

My live feed has been horrible and unusable for months now. It is very laggy and choppy. It started happening after a software update. I am also paying for the SMART features but cant utilize the featured without reliable live video. What is going on? Is there a known fix for this? Before you ask.....it has nothing to do with my internet or distance from base station. I havent changed anything from the day I bought it and all of a sudden after an update it is unusable.

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lag and choppy video is sometimes related to signal to cameras and/or interference...

Do the videos look ok if they are d/l'ed and then played?  If so, then it may be a data speed issue.

If you think it's related to the recent fw and nothing above, I would delete the cameras, factory reset the base and then bring all back as if new.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I use live video and then start recording manually the video feed is choppy but the saved video is fine. All videos in my library are fine, no lag of choppy. It is only during live video. Also if I let it manually record for 30 sec the video in my library only shows 15sec, which means there is a good 10-15 sec lag.

I dont think it is my internet because I havent changed anything. The base station is hooked up to the router via ethernet cable so it shouldnt be that. I will try the hard factory reset today and report back. If this doesnt work I will seek a replacement because these are too expensive to not work, especially when paying for "enhanced SMART" features. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This would seem to be related to your device and device software. What are you using, both the device and OS? It could be your Internet connection somehow. Test using speedtest.net and let us know both upload and download speeds.

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice
I reset everything twice and nothing changed. I am using iOS on iPhone 8 for the Arlo. My internet is 20mbps down and 3.5mbps up
JC123Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem.  Im currently in China and I have 2 Arlo Pro and 1 Arlo Pro2 connected to my base station.  Everything worked fine until a couple months ago after an update I suppose.  I have since not been about to get a decent live streaming at all.  Its very very choppy, and if I manually record the video for 30s, in reality it could only record 5s of the video. Again, recorded video playback has no issue.  Live Streaming is totally useless.  connecting to live feed takes way too long as well too.  I also have a seperate VPN router which is connected to my main router (all via ethernet cable connection).  When I connect the base station to the VPN router, I get a way better live feed connecting time and much improvement on the live feed (still choppy) but not as normal as I had it before.  The sensor recording time works and playback from manually recorded video has 2-3s lag which is good.  But after 5-10minute connecting to the base, my ios, browser, android, indicated all my devices are offline.  And it indicated My base station is offline when it is not.  My devices are armed, and I can clearly get notification from the camera sensor, and it can also record the videos.  But there is no way I can check or connect to the live feed streaming.  The only way I can fix this is restarting my VPN router or base station and even after that, it will only last 5-10min.   This is ridiculous! I spent so much money on these devices and it is not working to its full potential.  Its really frustrating!  It was working fine before! NO ISSSUE! now this product is useless!  PLEASE FIX IT.  I shouldnt have to use my vpn router cause it was working fine when I connected to my main router!!! FIX IT ASAP

firmware 1.10.0.8_22190

Hardware VMB4000r3

Ozsupply
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you ever get an answer to this? I’m experiencing the same thing but just bought them Saturday.
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice
No and they refuse to recognize this as a problem.
JC123Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
yeah dealt with their tech for a long time. went through the diagnose very precisely as if this has never happen to anyone who owns this product. in the end, they say they will follow up with me, but didn't. So I end up buying some cheap china brand one. Im pretty sure the base station is faulty but they cant prove it. Anyway, I have no trust in this brand anymore. good luck
Barb54
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased yesterday and installled last night. The delay for live is extremely slow and the clarity of the videos are poor.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Barb54

There is always going to be a delay in live viewing and in recording because this is a cloud based system. Example: Using the app, camera gets started live viewing, app contacts arlo servers, server contacts the base, base contacts the camera, and live viewing starts. That takes time. Then while viewing the video stream is sent to the base, then to the arlo servers, then to your app, that also takes time. This is how a cloud based system works. Sometimes the delay is one second, sometimes it could be much more, depends on internet traffic and server load.

For video clarity, make sure you are using the best video setting in your rules, not the best battery setting.