Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo for Android, version 2.4.11_20331 DID NOT fix any of the following issues:

• Geofencing
  • Random crashing resulting in...
  • No notifications until Arlo app is reopened.

I'm extremely dissatisfied with Netgear for the following reasons:

• Non-response from Facebook public posts, Facebook PMs, forum posts, live chat and email. I was promised a call, which I did not get and after emailing the "support" person back asking where's the call and really, just fix the problem, they didn't offer an apology.
  • The length of time for a resolution to the problem.
  • The completely lack of communication on this issue leaving community users like myself to tell people a workaround like using THIRD party apps like IFTTT, Life360 and what not. Althought these apps don't allow you to use custom modes which is part the reason why I bought Arlo in the first place.
  • Why, when it was working previously, they can't fix the issue now???

What's your response, Netgear? Or shall we just ask for a refund? You do realise that in Australia, this is completly within the consumer's rights under the Australian Consumer Law?

10 REPLIES 10
The_Wraith
Apprentice
Apprentice

I feel your pain.  Netgear support is horrible.  I have multiple tickets open on their buggy and poorly Q/A'd product and the general turn around for "resolution" is in months.  They offer no means for customers to contact support via the "arlo.com" URL and rely on customer simply "knowing" to to go my.netgear.com to "open an email ticket" - even though it has nothing to do with "email" and is a web form.  The Support Chat DOES NOT WORK ever.

The fail to respond to support tickets in a timely manner.  They introduce bugs with software releases then take weeks to acknowledge them - with additional weeks to resolve them, versus backing out a poorly tested update and fixing it offline.  They have the gaul of offering this horribly buggy "security system" that could only be described as a Beta Test program with volunteer customers that pay premium dollars for a ridiculously unstable platform - then say they will only offer support for 90 days.

Netgear is woefully negligent in selling this product as it exists today.  It's not ready for production.  They're relying on all of us to test it, find bugs, then take their sweet time rolling out fixes.

Regards,
The Wraith
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

While the dark thumbnail issue does indeed seem to be resolved, this latest update (v2.4.12.864_20432) created other problems.
Now If I go into my library to clean out old recordings it doesn't behave the way it did before.
Normally I can see dots underneath the dates with recordings, but they vanish now, if you "Select - Delete", after the delete confirmation.
It used to just empty the contents of that selected day, then automatically switch to the next day.
But now, since this latest release, all of the dots vanish and you're left on a dead page - you can't switch to another day like you used to.
You now have to leave the Library page, and come back again if you want to delete more than one day's worth of recordings.
Seems each new release fixes one thing, then breaks something else...

NestOrHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Could this be related to Android putting the Arlo app to sleep? On my Android; I just went into Settings>Device maintenance>Battery>Unmonitored apps. I added Arlo to my list of "unmonitored apps". Stay tuned for results.

enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice
Indeed you are correct, that's well documented as a possible issue. I've had Arlo app always off the optimisation list since day 1 when I figured out that was an issue. I always check when I see an update. So, no that's not the issue. It's still crashing randomly and I can't yet see a pattern myself.

Also the Arlo customer support is hopeless. They've said they'll call me (don't know how that'll help, but I'll entertain them), and they've fallen back on that promise 3 times now.
NestOrHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know. I'll keep checking back.

I have Arlo Pro 2s at two different properties. I hope this gets resolved.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@enjoychewy

What type of phone do you have? What version of android are you running?

I'm using an S8, running Arlo app version 2.4.11, android version is 8.0.0 (oreo), samsung experience 9.0, security patch level March 1, 2018.

I have never had the Arlo app crash on my phone, not even once.

enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm running Moto G4 Plus, Android 7. Latest security patches applied.

It's a mix of crashing or just plain going unresponsive to changes in my location. Quite simply, it's been tricky to troubleshoot due to the random nature of the instances. Although I can see others are having very similar issues, both reported on this forum and on Google Play Store.

Furthermore, customer support seems to acknowledge there's an issue, but won't elborate on it to me.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Probably the best way to figure out if it's the app or your phone, is to factory reset it. Yes a pain, but if you reset then reinstall the arlo app and it crashes you know it's the app. If it doesn't crash anymore it was probably your phone.

enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice

@pc2k17 Yup... Sadly I think you're right. Well, before I nix my phone to factory defaults I'll see what Netgear engineering can do. I have uninstalled the app and deleted cache (before uninstalling) before and it doesn't solve the issue.

Also I noticed that an OTA update happened last night. Now running v2.4.12. So we'll see if that solves the issue. Got to give it a couple of days to monitor behaviour. Hasn't crashed in a while too, by the way. So it's looking better now. But geofencing didn't work this morning until both linked accounts opened the Arlo app into foreground. I double checked, battery optimisation is still off for these apps. Nor are both accounts every logged out using the settings menu, simply put into the backgroud by hitting the home softkey (or back).

Finally, to be fair to Netgear. I have been contacted by an L3 Engineer with regards to my queries. While it took them a very long time to get back to me, it's a start and I'm very keen to work constructively with them. I'll report back if I learn more about the issue so everyone can benefit.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I have 2.4.12 as well. Let us know if it helps you.

One thing I do different from many android users is I never leave apps open in the background. When I'm done with the app I always hit the recently used apps button and tap close all (or x out of the app). I have friends who just hit home or back when done with an app and then they end up with 20 apps sitting in the background and then wonder why there phone has issues. Yes I know google says the apps go to "sleep" and you can just leave them without closing them, but I'm not buying it. In my experience it's better to just close all the apps when done with them.

Well hopefully the L3 guys figure out what's going on for those with crashing issues.