Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Just bought a new camera and notifications are coming up with a model # not the camera name

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
White83lx
Follower
Follower
I just purchased a new camera and the notifications are coming up with the serial number not the camera name.
I am completely lost at this and it is quite annoying because now I don’t know where the cameras located
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked the camera settings to verify you have a name set for this camera? If not, click on the pencil icon at the top right to set the proper name. If it's already set, it may be worth trying to edit it and see if that makes a difference.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

hey @White83lx

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Thanks 

roberal
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a very similar problem. Previously I was using Essential cameras connected directly to my router. Motion notifications were working correctly e.g. “Motion detected on garage”. After installing a VMC5000 base station (and connecting the cameras to the station) I’m now receiving motion notifications which state the camera serial number instead of the name e.g. “Motion detected on A5J109…”

This is very frustrating since the serial numbers are not easily linked to location. Despite checking all of the devices have names set and confirming all other settings I cannot find a way to restore the name in motion notifications.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@roberal wrote:
I have a very similar problem. Previously I was using Essential cameras connected directly to my router. Motion notifications were working correctly e.g. “Motion detected on garage”. After installing a VMC5000 base station (and connecting the cameras to the station) I’m now receiving motion notifications which state the camera serial number instead of the name e.g. “Motion detected on A5J109…”

This is very frustrating since the serial numbers are not easily linked to location. Despite checking all of the devices have names set and confirming all other settings I cannot find a way to restore the name in motion notifications.

Have you tried restarting the base?

jsiart
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  After chasing my tail trying to find an answer I got a sledge hammer and took it out on Arlo Support.  Give an answer to a common issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It may take some time for newly onboarded cameras to send notifications with the camera name rather than the serial number. Has it been at least 24 hours since you onboarded the camera? Do you still experience the issue?

JamesC