Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

It consistently registers motion well outside the bounded range

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ThatAdamGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I carefully bounded the camera view (in app) so it covers only the pathway to my door.

However, my Arlo Pro consistently triggers whenever there's motion in front of my next door neighbor's house.

So I keep getting notifications, and -- upon checking them out -- I can clearly hear people driving or walking up to my neighbor's house... but they're not visible at all in the video.

I made sure that I have video checked (not sound) in the current mode.  I've tried even further narrowing the camera view to no avail.  And it doesn't seem that shadows are involved.

Any ideas how I can debug this? It's gotten to the point where I'm just having to turn all alerts off 😞  In the meantime, I've moved the sensitivity down to 50 (from 80) and I guess I'll see if that helps, but surely that seems like a rather odd workaround no?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The view in the app has nothing to do with the motion sensing area. Perhaps reducing motion sensitivity is the way to sort this? Otherwise a positioning change might help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The view in the app has nothing to do with the motion sensing area. Perhaps reducing motion sensitivity is the way to sort this? Otherwise a positioning change might help

ThatAdamGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I, uh... wha?!  I totally trust that you're right, but then... what on earth is the motion sending area for?  Is it like the Close Elevator button, just there for psychological comfort?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can change the field of view of the camera by shrinking down that box in the settings just to exclude walls and stuff you don't care about seeing but the motion sensor is a PIR which just covers the area in front of it.
At this stage only the Arlo Q range has pixel detection, by account of that they are powered, so you can control the pixels which are detecting motion and also create zones to exclude areas that you don't want to trigger recordings when they have motion. Not sure if this functionality will ever come to Arlo Pro though theoretically they could do it if you have the camera powered full time

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Not sure that (pixel based detection feature) would make Arlo any better. It would depend on its uses, location etc. I tried one camera like that recently, even blocking motion detection area using the pixels zone, it was a disaster. Motion was still detected due to reflections from objects like cars, moving leaves, headlights etc.

There were way more false triggered motions than from the Arlo Pro, side by side!

I think the pixels system is more suitable for indoor use.That’s my two cents worth.