Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
LocustFork
Guide
Guide

I bought the system because the display showed a clear, constant stream of video.   I get this home, set it up and find that my 2 cameras spend more time "buffering" than recording anything and I cannot place one outside my back door, which is only 20 feet from the main box.   I spent way too much on this system for it to be so undependable and frustrating.   I checked this board for answers and I see that I'm supposed to move the box closer to the camera if it doesn't work.....20 feet should not be too far away.  Plus, trying to post here my model isn't even listed....it is a VMS4230.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The problem is your Upload speed is below recommended level by Netgear ( of 1 Mbs )

One  camera streaming is exceeding your upload speed.

You could try and lower the rez level and that may improve your camera response

as listed in docs;

bandwith.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

What your download and upload speed from your provider?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

20 feet can indeed be too far depending on your environment although that's not usually the case. 2.4GHz interference from other wireless devices, a mirror or ductwork blocking the signal, etc. can all be issues.

Buffering can also be a symptom of slow Internet speeds. Test yours using speedtest.net and tell us both your upload and download speeds.

LocustFork
Guide
Guide

My download speed it 7.60 and only .54 upload speed   

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

You will need a larger bandwidth plan. Especially if your streaming Netflix, etc..

LocustFork
Guide
Guide

This is all that is available here.    I have ATT Uverse and we have the fastest plan they have in our area.    There ar no other internet providers in our area.   

LocustFork
Guide
Guide

We have no problems watching Netflix or using our computers and Ipads.    My kids used to bog things down when they were trying to use the internet all at the same time, but they have moved out and its not as taxed as it once was.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The problem is your Upload speed is below recommended level by Netgear ( of 1 Mbs )

One  camera streaming is exceeding your upload speed.

You could try and lower the rez level and that may improve your camera response

as listed in docs;

bandwith.JPG

Morse is faster than texting!
LocustFork
Guide
Guide

I will try that.....I sure was hoping to put a camera at both doors to my home, but that is looking impossible.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Surely there is satellite providers with dishes that have much higher bandwidth if you live in North America.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Putting a camera at each door is fine but recording both at the same time would be an adventure.

LocustFork
Guide
Guide

The people in my area that use Huesnet are VERY unhappy with the service...it goes out a lot and the upload speeds are as bad as what I am getting with Uverse.   Plus, weather affects it where the Uverse is only out if the power goes out.   I had a T1 line before Uverse was available...it was a little bit better, but I was not pleased with the $500 per month fee for service.    The only other thing that I have available here is a cell phone wifi box....which isn't as good as what I'm using.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Dishnet has 40Mps for as low as 50$ a month

Buck_Naked
Star
Star

If you look into satellite internet, see if there are any limits or restrictions on uploads...

Its been many years for me, but I was limited to 500 MB a month.... not sure if that is still the case...

edited for additional info