Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it possible for a thief to temporarily disable individual cameras? Not seeing some recordings.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Knotax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dose anybody know if it is possible for a thief to temporarily disable individual cameras?   Here is what happen to me.  I have 4 Arlo Pro on one hub.   Front door, Back door, Garage and stairs.   I have them always armed and reporting motion and sound.   left my house at 1:50pm, at 2:16pm my alarm company calls and says the back door sensor is tripped.   Police dispatched to the house and I arrive just after them at 2:30pm.  I tell the office no one should be inside, he decides to clear the house starting from the back door.    On the arlo Cameras I see the officer at the front door talking to me, then he goes around the house to the back.   he enters the open back door but my back camera doesn't pick him up, nor does the stairwell camera.   The garage camera does.   The Officer finds no one and we log in to check the camera footage.   That is when we notice the missing videos that should have triggered.  I walked out the back door to see if the camera was removed or damaged and it started capturing on motion again.    just weird, as the two that didn't work were the closet to the back door. they didn't work for 30-40 min then started working again.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

In principle, a thief could jam the wifi signal, but that would stop as soon as the thief left the premises.  So that doesn't explain your case (since the officer wasn't captured either, and that was after the thief had left).

Do you have USB storage (or a microSD card) installed in the base?  That will sometimes have recordings that didn't make it to the Arlo cloud for some reason.

Knotax
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do have a USB storage device connected. I check the videos on the device, they were the same as on app.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Knotax wrote:
I do have a USB storage device connected. I check the videos on the device, they were the same as on app.

Are you seeing other cases where those two cameras are missing recordings?

Knotax
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since the day of the break in attempt. The cameras have captured video as expected. So I have not noticed any other missing videos issues. Although it’s hard to say for sure. But every time I or when I know someone is in range of the camera it captures video.
storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

I seen the same on my 2 cameras.  I have one at my front entry, and one that observes the driveway.   The other morning I pull out of my garage, camera is supposed to see it, but doesn't I drive down the drive way and drive away.  Never seen it.   Come home an hour later, back my truck up the drive way, Now the camera sees me.  Its a BIG WHITE TRUCK and it didn't see it again.   Happens many times.

These cameras never missed a video when I first purchased them 1.5 years ago.   Today and for the last couple months they miss things and some times they see things that are not there.   It was a good system, but today after many firmware changes, they are no longer function as they were designed for.