Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MachineElve
Guide
Guide
Invert issue driving me up a wall. There's one camera that I get a better angle by keeping it upside down but when I put it to the invert option and save, everything seems to be okay, then once I view the recording it's upside down. I used the search bar but couldn't come up with anything that resolves this issue. There was a lot of posts so I know it's an issue. Any body experiencing said issue"? The posts I read weren't very current.
27 REPLIES 27
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base and reinsert batteries in the camera.

NotInverted
Tutor
Tutor

MachineElve wrote:
Invert issue driving me up a wall. There's one camera that I get a better angle by keeping it upside down but when I put it to the invert option and save, everything seems to be okay, then once I view the recording it's upside down. I used the search bar but couldn't come up with anything that resolves this issue. There was a lot of posts so I know it's an issue. Any body experiencing said issue"? The posts I read weren't very current.

Yes!!! I have the same problem, and it has been months! No matter which UI I use (Android/Website), I can't get the invert option to save permanently. It stays inverted for a few minutes and I can see the recordings and live view as it should be, but then it resets back to the non-inverted mode. So frustrating. FYI, this issue is specifc with the Arlo, not Arlo pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Keeps me from having to turn my phone upside down to view the video correctly) 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base.

NotInverted
Tutor
Tutor
No, didn't work. I even pulled the batteries out of the camera to power cycle it as well. 5 mins later, back to non inverted...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync.  That should help.

MachineElve
Guide
Guide
I got the 6 camera arlo pro set up from best buy. Lol
tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue; it simply does not save the invert video setting.  

The base station has already been reset.  This is maddening.

jguerdat wrote:

Try power cycling the base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Reset or power cycled? Big difference. A reset may be needed to fix it but first verify that you have the latest firmwares as shown in the Release Notes here.
tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

It has been power cycled (the base station was moved to a new location).  Firmware is 1.8.9.1_13442.

Both website and Android app let you toggle "Invert Image" without "Save" option becoming available.  Only after selecting within the Pan & Zoom section does "Save" become available.  But the setting reverts almost immediately.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

tscalzott wrote:

It has been power cycled (the base station was moved to a new location).  Firmware is 1.8.9.1_13442.

Both website and Android app let you toggle "Invert Image" without "Save" option becoming available.  Only after selecting within the Pan & Zoom section does "Save" become available.  But the setting reverts almost immediately.

The iOS app does not have this issue and the setting sticks.  

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

Scratch that.  With the iOS app the setting merely sticks longer.  It reverted again.

There seems to be no way to keep the invert/rotate image setting turned on.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

tscalzott wrote:

You have old firmware which you can compare by checking the Release Notes section here.  I have 1.8.10.1_13433.  Updating that may be the answer.

The Invert function doesn't have a Save - it simply works (or it doesn't).  Pan and Zoom does have a Save.  However, as noted above, I suspect the real issue is the firmware update.  Make sure your camera(s) are up to date, too - mine are at 1.092.0.4_13099.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

tscalzott wrote:

You have old firmware which you can compare by checking the Release Notes section here.  I have 1.8.10.1_13433.  Updating that may be the answer.

The Invert function doesn't have a Save - it simply works (or it doesn't).  Pan and Zoom does have a Save.  However, as noted above, I suspect the real issue is the firmware update.  Make sure your camera(s) are up to date, too - mine are at 1.092.0.4_13099.

There appears to be no ability to do so.  Under Device Info > Firmware there is no "Update" option, as indicated by KB https://kb.arlo.com/4736/How-do-I-update-my-Arlo-firmware-manually.  Not via web or app.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

That firmware that you indicated is for Arlo Pro base station.  I have the latest firmware for my Arlo (non-Pro).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, this thread is in the Arlo Pro section so I ass-u-me-d it was a Pro base.

It may be that a system reset would be the best and fastest answer.  Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh, using the Add Device button to add the base and sync the cameras.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

I apologize for the confusion.  My point is that it is a long-standing issue, with others observing the same, against Pro and non-Pro. 

Rather than put the onus on the customer to redo their system, how can we get this to those responsible for diagnosing and making the required software fixes?

NotInverted
Tutor
Tutor

I've tried every recommendation in this thread (and in others), with no luck.

Arlo Pro Base Station is on 1.8.10.1_13433

Arlo Pro Cameras are on 1.092.0.4_13099 (Qty 2)

Arlo Wire Free Cameras are on 1.2.11810 (Qty 2, also the camera with the Invert issue)

Most updated firmware updates found here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Power Cycling Base/Cameras (didn't work)

- Unplugged everything from base for 5 mins

- Removed batteries from all cameras, reinserted after 5 mins

- Selected invert from the menu on the one camera, stayed inverted for about 5 mins, went back to being upside down (via web interface)

Remove the camera(s) from settings/my devices, resync (didn't work)

- Removed all cameras from the system via the web interface

- Resynced all of the cameras back to the base station

- Selected invert from the menu on the one camera, stayed inverted for about 5 mins, went back to being upside down (this time, via the android interface)

Reset/Factory Restore the whole dang thing, start from scratch (didn't work)

- Removed all cameras from the base station (via web interface)

- Removed all batteries from all cameras (coincidentally, no real way to factory reset each camera)

- Pressed and held the reset button on the pro base station for 10 seconds, waited for the 3 amber lights, let go of the reset button and let the station boot as normal

- Logged in via Android App and setup the station per the normal process

- One by one, inserted batteries into each camera and re-synced to the base station. Although, since there is no way to factory reset each camera, when re-synced, the cameras kept their old names I had originally given them

- Selected invert from the menu on the one camera, stayed inverted for about 5 mins, went back to being upside down (via web interface)

?!/*&%$@#!

Now, all that being said, here’s what I’ve noticed, even though there is no “save” button after the invert button is selected, if you wait about 30 seconds, eventually it looks like the page refreshes, the invert button stays on and the pan/zoom image shows the correct inverted image….. Only to totally go away in about 5 or so mins.

So, is there ANYTHING else left to do? I can’t just find another place to put the camera, it’s pointed at the front door and garage. The magnet mount puts it under the eave so you can’t see everything. The outdoor security mount is absolutely perfect but the mount on the camera requires that it has to be inverted. Is there a process to elevate this? It’s gotta be something on the software/coding side… Seems like plenty of other folks are having the issue!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing I notice is that you removed the cameras from Settings, My Devices but not the base.  Whenresetting, that's also needed.  That's why I said to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices in my earlier post.  While I can't guarantee that's the fix, it may be a good start.

While I don't have an original Arlo wireless on my Pro base, I do have a few on my non-Pro base.  The invert function worked as anticipated in both directions.  The camera I used is the furthest from the base with 2 bars of WiFi signal.  It might be worthwhile trying to set the invert function with the camera closer to the base in case it's somehow a signal strength/quality issue.

NotInverted
Tutor
Tutor

Well I've figured out the issue. You cannot set the invert toggle for the basic Arlo Wire Free cameras via the newer PRO base station (VMB4000).

I started with the old arlo cameras (qty 2) and old base station (VMB3000). Later, I upgraded to the Arlo Pro Cameras and base station, and moved the 2 basic wire free cameras to the new base station as well.

Anyway, I just pulled the old base station out of the attic and did a full factory reset and added the two cameras. The invert stays! I had it going for 2 hours, and never reverted. Great! So I reset the old, removed all devices, plugged in the new base station, added all devices and then hit the invert button.......... Only worked for 5 mins.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

Non-pro base and non-pro cameras here and same problem.  Need them to fix this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open cases with support.  Won't get fixed if it's not officially known.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've not been able to replicate this issue with the original Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro cameras. How far away from the base station is the camera that is behaving this way? Consider locating the camera close to the base station (power cycle the camera by opening and closing the battery compartment door, remove the battery and reinsert if using Arlo Pro). Allow the camera to resync and then attempt to toggle the invert feature again.

JamesC

FrozenOzone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here but it's only seconds before it flipps back to normal.  Bummer.  I just mounted it.  Any fix stated here didn't work.  Boy, i just ordered 2 more of these and if this is an issue back they go!!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrozenOzone,

What browser/mobile device are you using? You might consider trying a different browser/mobile device to see if you get the same results. Also, consider rebooting your base station and try again.

JamesC