Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Internet connection

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have followed ALL steps to allow my device to connect with the base station. Nothing works. Plus, I dealt with an online “expert” 3 hours ago and was given a case number to use if things continued to not work… and now the company is saying I don’t rate to speak to someone that can help…but I could 3 hours ago. Help…?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, everyone. Call off the hounds. The issue is resolved. As I (and perhaps many of you) suspected, it was operator error. There are 2 modem type boxes in my house, one was identified to me as a router and the other as the modem. All the directions from Arlo said to connect the Ethernet cable to the router, which I did…with no results. Today, after speaking to a different person at my internet provider, I found out the “router” was actually a telephone box that just happened to have an open Ethernet plug. I was directed to try the modem, which didn’t have an available Ethernet plug, (it has two plugs)so I unplugged one of them to free up that plug, and tried my base station and eureka! success. So, tomorrow a technician will come and look after the 3 Ethernet cables that need to plug into a modem with only 2 plugs. Thanks to all for your advice. It was much appreciated.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Dannybear
Master
Master
I’ve read similar posts about Arlo support ‘s behaviour related to fault tickets being made and closed due to no subscription plan.

Left not knowing the right I imagine.

What is your details and what you have already tried?
Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Danny. Thanks for your reply. I won’t bore you with my complaints about Arlo customer service other than to say that upon my initial contact with them, the service was quite good, if texting endlessly trying to explain what the problem is can ever be considered a “good experience”. I was given a case number and told in text by the agent to use that number if things didn’t work out and I had to contact them again. So, 3 hours later, I tried to contact them again…got the bot thing which wouldn’t accept the case number and just kept saying that I didn’t qualify for support.
The long and short of it is, we have an Arlo Pro camera and base station, which was in my wife’s account but we want to switch it from her account to a new account…mine. After much trial and error, and contacting support, they said the reason it won’t connect to my phone was because her account was still active. The agent sent me an email detailing how to deactivate her account and the rest was left up to me. I have gone through the procedure of how to search for “devices” so many times now. So please know I have unplugged the Ethernet cord and the power cord from the base station to the router a zillion times. When I power up the base station, all 5 lights come on and then the power light stays on and the camera light flashes and then stays On…but the internet light never comes on. That means the base station isn’t connecting to the internet? So, no matter what I do, I can’t change that. When I sync the base station, (for 2 seconds)the camera light flashes and then stays on and when I sync the camera (for 2 seconds) the blue light in the camera flashes quickly for a few seconds and then goes out. But the internet light on the base station never, ever comes on. So I guess the base station and camera recognize each other but I’ll never know as there’s nothing on my phone to show that. I just don’t know where to turn. I have followed the online directions but I’m getting nowhere. Sorry for the long story. Thanks for listening.
Glenn
Dannybear
Master
Master
I would start with rebooting the router modem equipment first and see if the internet led on the base station comes back on. You won’t get far without it connected to the internet. Let us know if you cannot as you might be something else like a broken Ethernet cable.

Not sure of the content in the procedure you were given and where you got to in it, so best to confirm if you have any cameras devices listed in your partner’s account.

(If you had already factory reset the base you may need to import it back into your partner’s account again.)

Login into the partner’s account and tap on the settings icon, (bottom right on mobile, top right on browser page if using web portal).
Tap on “mydevices” to display a list of devices in her account. If she has any devices tap on them to display their settings details and scroll to page bottom to show the “remove device” button.

Start removing the cameras first then the base last. Doing this should release the equipment from her account to allow them to be ported to another account. Ideally this should be done while the base and cameras are online in the account.

Then proceed with importing the base station into your account then the cameras. Some say using the arlo web portal is easiest.

I will also tag the forum moderators, @JamesC and @ShayneS in case they can assist.
Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi again Danny. An update…I tried to follow your instructions but when I tried to access my wife’s account to remove the base station and other things as you suggested, I couldn’t….because her account was deleted as directed by Arlo in their instructions. You asked where I’m getting the directions on how to proceed…everything I’ve done has come from Arlo, but I will mention that the directions seem to come from different pages on the Arlo website, so one page will say do this, and another will say do that. So…someone (I think you, but it might have been Arlo) said to disconnect the modem, router and base station completely, and wait and then reconnect in the same order. I did that…powered off, waited, and plugged back in. I then powered the base station on again, all 5 lights flashed in, then 4 disappeared, leaving just the power light on. About a minute or so later, the camera light came on so now 2 lights are on. It’s been about 5 minutes and still no internet light. I seem to be back at square one. You’re right, if I don’t have an internet connection, this system is useless. But everything else in my house has an internet connection. Why not my base station? As an aside, I don’t believe there’s any way my Ethernet cable can be broken. Also, perhaps I haven’t added any base station or camera to my account but at the risk of sounding stupid, nothing has jumped out asking me to do that. I’m searching now for a solution, but maybe in the meantime, you can point me in the right direction. Yes, I’m not a computer nerd. You may have noticed.

Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

More questions. You say “Then proceed with importing the base station into your account then the cameras. Some say using the arlo web portal is easiest.” I have no idea how to do this, and where I do it. Also, on the Arlo site, it says “if the base station is still undiscoverable, make sure that the mobile device is on the same network as your base station.” What?? Any suggestions?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Glenner wrote:

Some say using the arlo web portal is easiest.” I have no idea how to do this, and where I do it. 

Browse to my.arlo.com on your PC.

Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, everyone. Call off the hounds. The issue is resolved. As I (and perhaps many of you) suspected, it was operator error. There are 2 modem type boxes in my house, one was identified to me as a router and the other as the modem. All the directions from Arlo said to connect the Ethernet cable to the router, which I did…with no results. Today, after speaking to a different person at my internet provider, I found out the “router” was actually a telephone box that just happened to have an open Ethernet plug. I was directed to try the modem, which didn’t have an available Ethernet plug, (it has two plugs)so I unplugged one of them to free up that plug, and tried my base station and eureka! success. So, tomorrow a technician will come and look after the 3 Ethernet cables that need to plug into a modem with only 2 plugs. Thanks to all for your advice. It was much appreciated.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Glad to hear you got past the first hurdle. Any progress with importing the arlo equipment?

I can understand how you would be kicking yourself but how was it working before it all started?

Usually newer routers have wifi and multiple Ethernet ports so might be why you were directed to use the phone box thing.
Glenner
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi again. Everything clicked the moment I plugged into my modem…oops, that’s after I deleted my account and started all over again. Base station was recognized, camera synced with base station, my iPhone recognized whatever it was supposed to recognize and I had video on my phone from the Arlo camera. I think I mentioned my service provider is sending a tech out tomorrow to figure out how to run 3 Ethernet cables into a 2 plug in modem. Maybe an upgraded modem in my future. I don’t know. Yes, it worked brilliantly before but we moved locations and previously, it had been set up not by us but by a different service provider, a guy who loved working on things like this. This time, we were on our own. Thanks again for your assistance. Arlo could take a lesson from you and others like you in their customer service area.