Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Installed Solar Panels in a sunny weather. Battery dropped when solar panel plugged in?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
petiteteach1
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just installed solar panels for our Arlo Pro cameras. We live in very sunny southwest Florida. Cameras were 100% charged when we put them up around 6 pm last night. Today, despite being in bright sunshine all day, they are at 92%. There was little activity to explain the reduction. What is the problem? Can someone please give me some advice. Many thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@petiteteach1 wrote:

Cameras were 100% charged when we put them up around 6 pm last night. Today, despite being in bright sunshine all day, they are at 92%. There was little activity to explain the reduction. What is the problem? Can someone please give me some advice. Many thanks! 

I suggest letting it run a few more days, and then see the charge level remains high or if you see a downward trend.  

petiteteach1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much! Did you experience the same thing? I forgot to mention that the cameras are in a screened enclosure, but the sun is intense. It was 96 today.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@petiteteach1 wrote:

Thank you very much! Did you experience the same thing? I forgot to mention that the cameras are in a screened enclosure, but the sun is intense. 

My Ultra is connected to a panel, and the charge is also reported at 92% at the moment.  It was around 85% a couple days ago.  So it will bounce around some, but generally stays high enough to only occasionally need a battery recharge. 

In the winter, the battery won't charge when it's below freezing outside.  This time of year, it will keep up unless there's a lot of recording going on (for several days).  

Also, it's not good to overcharge the battery either, and the charging circuitry has some protection built in to avoid doing that.  In any event, mine doesn't stick at 100% with the panel, even when there's full sun.

petiteteach1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! This information is extremely helpful. I will keep you posted. Have a good night.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I have 2 cameras on solar panels (an Ultra and a Pro 3 floodlight) that charge to 100% all the time when sunny and warm enough. I've had no problems with this charging.

petiteteach1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. What do you think is wrong with our cameras/solar panels? They are located in our screened in lanai but in full hot 93° sun. Do you think the screen is affecting the charging process? We are bewildered that the batteries are going down with virtually no activity.

Suggestions????

Thanks!

dcfox1
Master
Master

I wasn't one that replied but it did cross my mind reading your post that the screen may have a little to do with it but can't say for sure.  The panel is a trickle charger unlike AC so it is slower to charge. I lose slight charge on my panel if it is cloudy but comes back. As one said give it time as it would not have charge at all overnight. If not try it out side the screened enclosure to test. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 wrote:

I wasn't one that replied but it did cross my mind reading your post that the screen may have a little to do with it but can't say for sure.  

I agree - the screen will certainly block some of the light (perhaps 30% of it).  So that will reduce the charging speed.  

My own panel is outdoors, but it isn't always in direct sunlight.  The camera and panel are mounted on a tree, and there is shade on the panel during part of the day.  It still generally keeps up - my other cameras need to be charged much more often than the one with the panel.

petiteteach1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for responding. We ordered a new cord to make the base station closer to the camera because the signal was very weak.  Unfortunately, we have no other option on the placement of the panel. It has to go through the screen.  Hopefully, a stronger signal will help. I'll let you know!