Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Redmoonstar I feel your pain. is the draining camera H3 hardware version by any chance?. You can see this by selecting the device in the app and gettn gthe details in there.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@Retired_Member All 5 of my camera's are H8 on the latsest firmware that was upgraded a couple weeks ago.

GaryS1969
Tutor
Tutor

I just came across this thread. I'm having similar problems. I prefer not to read all 1000+ posts. My question has Netgear acknowledged the problem?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Arlo fixed the IR lights coming on all the time back in May, which helped or fixed the battery drain, then 2 more updates came and many others now report the IR lights is still fixed, but the battery drain came back. Occationally the forum moderator says the Arlo engineers are looking into the battery drain issue.

langrock
Guide
Guide

The IR lights issue has not been fixed ... at least not for the original HD cameras. The motion sensor is still hot (despite being disarmed) and the IR lights come on all the time. I long-ago figured that this is the main reason for the excessive battery drain.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Thanks for the info. I know nothing about the original arlo hd cams. IR issue is fixed for the Pro and Pro2. However battery drain for some is still happening on the Pro (not sure about Pro2).

Stunew78
Apprentice
Apprentice
No. They have deleted Facebook posts on this issue but have not even acknowledged the problem.

Arlo care only about their stock price. Absolutely shocked by the mismanagement of this fiasco.
Farmboy236
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dawn,

Regarding the battery rapidly draining issue that started recently, we do have a fix in QA being tested right now. We'll update this thread when that is released.

its been a number of months can you tell me progress 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Farmboy236

The fix you're asking about already was pushed out back in June. For many it stopped the battery drain, for others it did not. Another update was pushed in July to the base and another to the cameras in August. Some still report rapid battery drain even after these updates. Only thing we know now is that engineering is still looking into the issue.

Bob_B
Star
Star

@pc2k17 wrote:

@Farmboy236

The fix you're asking about already was pushed out back in June. For many it stopped the battery drain, for others it did not. Another update was pushed in July to the base and another to the cameras in August. Some still report rapid battery drain even after these updates. Only thing we know now is that engineering is still looking into the issue.

FWIW: My cam is still draining batteries at a very high rate; last charge didn't even last a week.

Stunew78
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC

What is the status of getting this battery drain issue sorted for Arlo Pro?

Your company has stated you are ‘investigating the issue’ and have not even acknowledged this problem exists.

Please update the thread.

Farmboy236
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your Arlo Shed view is running low on battery. You’ve still got about 14% of juice left, but in order to maintain uninterrupted peace of mind, we recommend charging up the device as soon as you can.

In the meantime, thanks for being a member of the Arlo family!

The Arlo Team

My securityis at risk because of this battery problem can anyone recommend a alternative wireless security system 

Arlo need a rocket up their behind for the slow response 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Farmboy236 wrote:

My security is at risk because of this battery problem can anyone recommend a alternative wireless security system. 

SimpliSafe. A real full house monitored wireless alarm system. Currently they only have indoor cameras though. I been using Simplisafe for almost 5 years. Works great and doesn't require a monthly fee if you choose the free plan. I have the 24.99 a month plan for the added options.

ADT also has everything Simplisafe has, plus outdoor cameras, and SmartThings and Alexa integration, but it more expensive per month.

IMHO, cameras alone are not an adequate security system. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@pc2k17 wrote:

IMHO, cameras alone are not an adequate security system. 

+1

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Battery drain for me has been on again/off again with no logical explanation as to WHY the drain will be excessive and then back to normal.

I have other issues, such as motion detection, where I have to crank then sensitivity to 100%, and this odd behavior is fickle as well with no obvious reason WHY its happening.  It's the desert here - one day is the same as the next and its not like we have a lot of weather, period, during the day.

Have three base stations, and every so often one or another will decide it doesn't want to be connected to the interent any more and I have to reboot it.

Also have issues with base stations and USB device recording - every once in a while, a base station decides it doesn't want to write to the USB drive any more.  Even if I have the overwrite device feature enabled.  There's nothing wrong with the drive, can take it out, view videos, can write to it from another device, but ultimately have to have Arlo reformat the USB device before Arlo will again permit USB recording to it.  Devices have plenty of space left on them with this happens, so it not like they've run out of space, which should not matter anyway since I enable the overwrite feature.

Reliability is a word that cannot be used in the same sentence as Arlo or Netear.  Important events that happen here, most often Arlo misses them, or the delay in beginning to record is so long, the video clip will show a partial bumper of a vehicle as it rolls on by and that's it, or the heel of someone walking away.  Pretty useless.  Yet it will record lizards running across my driveway... and I do not have Arlo Smart enabled...

Catbird13
Tutor
Tutor

Don't think there would be anything on the right list!

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And here we have an example of just how UNRELIABLE this Arlo is... Arlo authentication servers are DOWN... joy... thing is, my dogs are really nervous right now, so something is about to happen, and my security cams are totally USELESS.

At least my DOGS are reliable and still on the job...

pohleonguk
Tutor
Tutor
I am still getting faster battery drain, lost 50% in 1 month with minimal usage, well within boundaries in terms of recordings suggested by netgear and full bars of reception too.
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

No communication for several weeks on rapid battery drain. Are Engrs still working the issue? Still seeing 3X advertised battery drain ...
BeornlsTX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just a heads up to everyone who may have purchased their cameras from Best Buy and got the Geek Squad warranty on them.  They will exchange them for you up to two years...I did this a couple of days ago and traded in my old H3s for the H11s.  So far the H11s are not exhibiting this behavior.

Like just about everyone on here, when I first got mine back in April of 2017 they would lasts MONTHS on a single charge.  I think I was averaging around 4 to 5 months battery life.    All until this firmware thing in May of this year when they started dumping rapidly on me.   I like most had absolutely no changes either in my setup.  

I was at the point to take them down and toss them a few days ago after only getting a week or two between charges.  Luckily I got to thinking that maybe I did get the extended warranty, thank gosh I did.  My fingers are crossed these H11s are back up to snuff again. 

Good luck everyone.    

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is anyone else with H11 series Pro experiencing battery drain issue?

I have 5 H8 that all have excessive battery drain. Per last note, if H11 series are not having problem then I will exchange mine as well ... purchased at Best Buy w/o extended warranty but has one year hardware from Arlo.
STES1979
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four H8s and one H11.  The H11 is currently draining faster than the H8s.  It currently loses 8-10% battery life per day.  My H8s lose about 5-7% battery per day.  

I was a Net Promoter when I first got these cameras back in January.  They worked and worked really well.  Since the issue came up, I've become a Net Detractor.  I've left negative reviews wherever possible (Amazon, Best Buy's website, etc.).  Arlo's lack of progress on the issue will make me a former customer very soon.  In fact, I've already transitioned to Ring Spotlight Cams & Video Doorbell for exterior cameras.  I'm looking at Blinks as a possible replacement for the interior cameras.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for response. Looks like the Arlo stuff goes back not for more Arlo but for a different brand!!!!

Just a shame because the design concept wins. Engr and their inability to release good firmware updates have really mucked it up.

Brand is being trashed by its customers!
BGPunggol
Guide
Guide
Lately there seems to be some improvement on the battery drain issue as it takes about 2 days to drop a variant of 2-4%. Also they had finally updated their app so it was no longer spewing multiple push notices to different phones. I make it a point to try and refresh the base station every now and then but this should not be the case. Nevertheless, it's still an improvement so hopefully Arlo engineers will continue to work on a better firmware that prolong battery power.
mrshanno1
Guide
Guide

I personally feel that it is fair to let potential purchasers know the issue, and seemingly lack of acknowledgement, response with their poor support. I finally reviewed my purchase on Amazon. When I first purchased, I would have given 5 stars... No longer. It's too bad because it's a great product other than the battery drain issue that began in May.