Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don't think the current battery drain problem is to do with the actual activity and use, if its used and records lots it doesn't seem to drain much different to how it normally would with use.

I think the drain is more to do with when the camera is "idle" and shouldn't be using much energy at all, its probably doing "something", searching, disconnecting, looking, constantly active, or some other thing it shouldn't be doing when its "asleep". Whatever its doing it is that that is draining the battery which is why we are seeing over night it loses a good few percent whereas before it lost nothing.

There is obviously some bug in the firmware causing the camera or base station to keep the camera active or something similar.

Arlo need to find this and put a stop to it, then we should get back normal battery life again. (could be some radio issue or similar? Flakey communication driver or something)
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I agree. Its something idle. My indoor camera is only triggered by audio during the day. So when my dog barks it triggers. So that cam gets maybe 5 videos a day yet its draining the same as my front door camera which gets the sidewalk and cars averaging 50 + videos a day. Yet they drain roughly the same and overnight as well
dlombardi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately I need to add my system into the group who are seeing rapid battery loss. Seems to be firmware update as all of my cameras drain at the same rate which is much worse now. When I initially got my Pro 2 system, I could go 4-5 months between charges and now I am lucky if I can get to 30 days. I did buy a new one but that didn’t resolve the problem and noticed my disabled camera drained just as fast with no activity. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! All started with the new Cloud features.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yup they probably changed some proprietary backend coding to accommodate the new features which is irreversible and might explain why they can't go back to old firmware, but whatever they did they messed up the code for the rest of us.

Hope they get it fixed asap as its draining the life out of me having to climb up and down ladders, never mind draining my Arlo batteries too!
Micolabn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Add me to the list.  Had the 5 camera system for a year and a half.  Batteries lasted for months.   Now I have batteries that go from 70% to 3% in 3 days, WITH THE CAMERA Off.   Several other cameras have the same problem.   One camera went through 3 sets of batteries in 2 weeks.    I called tech support. Waste of an hour.  It could be the camera, the base station or my router.  {No change in any of them in over a year]    "tech helper" said no way to check which was not working.  So I can either keep feeding it batteries or buy a new camera or two.   Tech support repeatedly refused to let me speak to someone else for help.  She can read the script well however.     Not going to buy something from a company without qualified tech support.     Anyone know another brand to try?

EdRand
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo Pro 2 works fine. My other ones are stuffed. Customer service doesn’t even answer anymore. It is said when a company gets to this stage. Usually it’s means underfunded and directionless
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Keep your fingers crossed on the Pro 2. Others with Pro 2 are reporting the same battery drain issue. Drain issue hard to pin down. Had one base and two Pros draining normal. Had a power outage and performance tanked. Now draining excessive like the other cams ...
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
What makes it even harder is the problem seems intermittent. The last 2 weeks ive been losing 4% overnight while disarmed. The last 2 nights i have not lost any overnight. Ive been watching it closely.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I also wonder if its not a display issue with the firmware/software causing it to display battery percentage that is not accurate and the batteries arent actually draining just showing they are. I say this because mine do wierd things . they dont drop right away sometimes stay at same % throughout the day then hours later a big drop. Also they have actually went back up during the day showing 75% then after 40 vidoes go up to 80%. So it doesnt make a whole lot of sense why it fluctuates. Im in florida so not extreme temp swings. Its just always hot even at night
Micolabn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think it is obvious that Arlo does not care or support their customers.  With all the posts about the same  problem, there has been no response from Arlo.   Their rech support doesn't have a clue.   I was told it could be the camera, the batteries,  the base station or my router [ which is also Netgear]  With all the peoople having the same problem, I don't think it is me.  My cameras are off, and not activated and still go from 70% to 3% in 3 days with no usage.   Someone wrote it might be the firmware, since that is common to all users and might be the cause.  Good idea.    Too bad Arlo doesn't read their own community postings and try to help their customers.

Micolabn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure, but I think these problems did start with a new firmware.   Not 100% sure, but it is the only common factor throughout all customers.  

Micolabn
Aspirant
Aspirant

For all of you [like myself] who are having battery drain problems, can you recall if this problem started after the latest firmware update.   We use different routers and batteries, so that should not be the problem.   Some of us have 1 camera, others many, I find it very interesting that a camera can go from 70% to 3% in 3 days, while the camera is off and not activated and yet the camera can send you an email telling yo to rerplace batteries.  Anyone think that is odd?

Calling Netgear on Monday, corporate offices.      Hope they will listen     Otherwise several hundred dollars wasted.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I did the trial firmware in may. It worked for the battery drain so they put it out in production (for everyone) then i understand they did 2 more and thats when my battery drain came back. Not sure of the date or which one caused it but its back. Not as bad as before and not as bad as yours but its still draining. Just got in from cutting the lawn and it dropped 3% in a few hours while disarmed. Hasnt been armed since yesterday. When i bought this system in march (arlo pro) i got 2 months + before needing to charge. Now i get 2 weeks max. Used to lose 2 or 3% a day and that has doubled plus losing 4 or 5% overnight while disarmed. I just recently bought another pro for backyard and that one is fine. No drain. Its an h 11. Other 2 are h 8. Nit sure if its a certain batch or what the deal is but something is wrong. Also my activity zones quit working recently along with motion detection issues. Missing big stuff like mailman. Nothing has changed and i believe it to be on arlos end with firmware/software
STES1979
Aspirant
Aspirant

I charged the batteries of my five cameras to 100% exactly 1 week ago.  Here is where they stand now:

Camera 1 

Base signal strength:  3/3

Number of Recordings: 1 

Firmware: 1.092.0.16_21159

HW: H11

Battery: 62%

Camera 2

Number of Recordings: 0

Firmware: 1.092.0.16_21169

HW: H8

Battery: 74%

Camera 3

Battery: 75%

Camera 4

Battery: 78%

Camera 5

Base signal strength:  2/3

Battery: 74%

I use to have 3 cameras outside and 2 inside.  Since the issues began, I moved the cameras inside for better accessability.   Even moving them inside, the battery draining issuie persists.  The cameras were trigger ONE TIME combined, yet each one has been draining at a pathetic rate.  

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Same here. Its not signal strength. They drain even when not in use. As usual stuck waiting to see when and if Arlo engineering will even do anything about it. Tired of the runaround, excuses, and incompetent support. Its getting old
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update on my battery drain

*Arlo Pro2, 3 camers - Fast drain of batteries (Few Days). System is three months old. Location = New Zealand

Contacted supplier and the local agent immediately offered to send out three replacement batteries. I doubt this is the fix after watching this forum quite closely and the issues people are experiencing, however I will report back resuls. 

I am also a little surprised people are saying that their batteries literally lasted 'months'. This has not been the case with my ones from day 1. I would get one month maybe. With that said I have only owned these for three months so havent had the experience. 

By the way I use my cameras on motion detect, 60 second record, optimised video quality setting. Its currently a mild winter here so possibility colder temperatures could affect battery life?

I will keep you updated

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I just bought a new camera and it does not have fast bsttery drain. Only the two older ones. Nobody really knows why this battery drain thing is happening again. It happened in may also. Cold temps will not cause battery drain or it to drain faster. But it will affect performance . lithium ion performs poorly in colder weather but it should not affect its ability to hold a charge. It will use up more battery during recordings in colder weather. I believe you said battery going dead in a few days and that should not happen in any weather. Good luck keep us posted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here is a curveball for you

Took my least used camera from inside and placed it outside thismorning then hung some washing in front of it. So far 126 short recordings in 6 hours and only 5% drop, this camera has been working all day. A lot less than I would have expected with my other two cameras. 

Only difference with this camera is that it has not been so exposed to the elements and has also had less charges due to it mostly being off while im home whereas other camers stay on. Any change moisture, or cold may have upset the hardware rather thant he battery. I will test by changing batteries between units.

Oh by the way I think its probably time people stop bagging Netgear and only post useful information. They are obviously not listening so why bother

Stop crying over spilt milk, you live and you learn. Life aint fair so get used to it. something like that. Get over it

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi All another update

Found another friend who has arlo pro 2 and went to check out their system, they have five cameras 4x H8 and 1x H11. These were installed over three months ago and batteries still going strong out of the box. Cameras all above 60% one was even 72%. and there has been many recordings. 

After looking into my system that was purchased three months ago I found that my cameras were H3. Can anyone else who is having battery issues confirm the same?

The only other difference I know of is that Im using the android app and both other mates who are not having any issues are using the iphone app. I cant se ehow this would make any difference however would be interesting to hear from everyone as to what vamera version and what app version?

Today I returned my cameras for a full refund. Im going to keep an eye out and when I see there is a definate fix for the battery drain issue I will most likely buy these again as I do like the system. 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VBM4000r3 with four H8 cameras. No battery drain issues yet, even through May and June firmware updates.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Have 5 H8 Pros on 3 different base units. All draining 3-5%/day disarmed.

Have seen times for 10 days or so when a couple cameras were draining normal but didn't last.

All started with May 14 firmware change when "smart" was launched. Wish it was as easy as a hardware version.

Did talk to customer service and tech actually opened up and said they knew they had an issues with Pros. Indicated was less of an issue with Pro 2s but still had complaints.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

anothing thing I thought worth mentioning is that my friend has all comeras in silicone shell covers. My cameras did not have these but were not exposed to direct weather, only exposed to cold and damp atmosphere etc. 

I doubt this is anything but i often wondered if the cold and consensation may have influenced battery terminals etc

DocCJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've got 5 x H8 cameras. Charged all on 4 August. Now, 10 days later, 2 are down to 80%, 2 are down to 90%, and 1 is at 96%. So mixed results. Before the May firmware update, all cameras would be around 95% now. Interestingly, the camera at 96% is farthest from the base station and has 1-click Wi-Fi. The majority of the other cameras have 3-clicks. So just confirmation that there is still a battery drain issue ruining what is otherwise a good product. Disappointing that Netgear haven't been able to fix it, since it's affecting many customers. 

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I have a camera connected to a solar panel a couple weeks ago it was offline in the morning but had recorded overnight. The battery was at 92% at 11.30 pm I had been having trouble with this battery and this was the third camera I put it in hoping it would stay charged, it didn't so I got a repalecement battery. Today the camera was offline all day I changed the battery tonight and it's back online. I have a second camera that I connected an outdoor charging cable  ( because of the battery drain) and had a fault with the cable so I removed the cable and put in a fully charged ( charging station not camera) battery at 10.00am. At 11.00am it had lost 20% with no recording, by 1.00 pm it was down to 75% still no recording. I started a chat but because I was at work I had to wait till I got home to "troubleshoot" I turned the camera off at 4.30 as it was down to 19% and when I got home at 5.00pm it was dead. I put another fully charged battery in it at 7.30 pm and it lost 10% in an hour while disarmed, I have just done another chat and explained what I have done with both camera's and am now waiting on an RMA to replace both. I really hope the new camera's don't have the same issues ( not just battery drain) as all 5 have now.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Luminary

I feel your pain. is the draining camera H3 hardware version by any chance?. You can see this by selecting the device in the app and gettn gthe details in there.