Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
RaylanC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, it would appear there were a whole bunch of folks who were minding their own business when these so-called developers swooped down and severely diminished their security systems without warning or justification. They haven’t done much or anything for them.
petedude
Star
Star

Perhaps it would be helpful to post some home truths on Matt McRae's Twitter stream:

https://twitter.com/mbmcrae?lang=en

Stunew78
Apprentice
Apprentice
So I’m in france on holiday and left my home country, Australia on the 16th July. Charged 5 cameras 1 day before leaving.
It is now the 3rd of August and One camera has now reported the battery is dead. Within one week, all cameras will be dead, so my entire Property will be unprotected.

YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS C$@P UP!!
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thats crazy. So its basically like a dummy camera now. You can buy those at home depot for 20 bucks.
DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor
As has been reported several times the motion detection is hit or miss even at 100%. I'm overwhelmed with all the issues from battery drian, system arming on its own , lack of consistency in the motion detection. I can understand the position they are in. I can't believe that rolling back the firmware isn't an option. I would think they are sacrificing the majority of their customer base to rectify the lower half of their base by not rolling back the changes. What is our next step. I'm extremely frustrated and don't have the option of returning the system,. Ive owned it for over a year. Up until May I've had a mostly reliable experience with the exception of geofencing not being reliable.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary
Make your voice heard on their Facebook post for IPO:

https://www.facebook.com/1540756022803179/posts/2118289715049804/
Spar6
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same problem on my Arlo Pro. I think it is related to my problem of the stupid thing arming itself non-stop. My batteries now last about a week. Netgear has shown no desire to fix anything. In fact, the customer service reps pay no mind to these forum posts, and report to me that no one is reporting these problems. 

The Anker camera is looking pretty good right now. I wish I had gotten in on the kickstarter. 

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Reporting it to support is useless. They have no skills to troubleshoot anything. There basically there to answer the phone and can help with returning a camera. Jamesc knows about it. They know they just dont care. They already have our money. Theres nothing support can do about firmware problems. The problem is with engineering and overall the company has a very poor customer service.. Its all over facebook and other media outlets. So they know
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@Stunew78 wrote:
So I’m in france on holiday and left my home country, Australia on the 16th July. Charged 5 cameras 1 day before leaving.
It is now the 3rd of August and One camera has now reported the battery is dead. Within one week, all cameras will be dead, so my entire Property will be unprotected.

YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS C$@P UP!!

I have just purchased 3 outdoor charging cables as we are gong away and my camera's are now only lasting 1-2 weeks and my home would be like yours unprotected. I have 5 camera's three now have charging cables, one I already had a solar panel for and now I'm gong to have to buy another solar panel as a charging cable isn't suitable for my last camera. I don't want to spend any more money on this system as its NOT working like it should. I have no internet at the moment so no access to base station but my camera's  IR lights are coming on so I'm not sure if they are armed and recording to USB or just draining the batteries.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Just an update, I have checked my USB and the camera's are recording to the USB so at least I have footage if something goes missing. They are still not recording to set times and as I have no internet at the moment the problem cannot be my internet as it's not accessible! So definately a firmware problem that started after May update. Maybe I'll contact support again and see what they try this time!Woman Mad

RaylanC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I assume we all received the email from Matt McRae, CEO, Arlo Technologies, touting the "Exciting news for Arlo!" recently.

I can only speak for myself, but in all the time I have owned this system, that was the first communication I had ever received from the CEO.  So, we know he has the capability to reach out to all of us.  To expand the number of investors and increase the return on their investments, should there be any, it would seem that the CEO would want to offer the absolute best and most reliable product of this type that is available on the market.

I would like to think Mr. McRae would want to show his leadership and his desire to be the best so as to enhance investment.  He could take a good first step by reaching out to all of us again and acknowledge the recent shortcomings of his development department and reassure his "over 2.2 million registered users across more than 100 countries worldwide" that he is on top of these issues and working 24/7 to resolve them to his customer's satisfaction.

Again, only an assumption on my part, but I would hope he is monitoring these posts, or has someone that is doing so on his behalf and is aware of the poor customer support currently being rendered to a growing disgruntled customer base, his future pool of investors.  Because at the moment, I do not believe there are too many of us current users eager to throw good money after bad.

I responded to McRae's email when I first received it.  It wasn't kicked back so maybe he got it.  If he heard from thousands of us with broken security systems, he just might take note.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Exciting news to me would be if my security cameras actually work. Thats all i want. Just work as designed. My cameras are now draining about 10% a night. So im charging weekly. Instead of monthly like it used to be
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Wklovelace3

Couldn't agree more, well said.

My Arlo Pro cameras are only recording the odd 30 sec clip or two every day so very little used. A full charge used to last me around 3 to 4 months. Now I'm lucky if I get 3 weeks which is terrible and unworkable, especially if going away.

There is something most definitely wrong with them and a SEVERE battery drain problem. Sure some users might be lucky and not be affected by it, but the problem is certainly real and needs fixing.

I paid over £1000+ for my Arlo systems and really really wish I'd never trusted Arlo with my money. This is NOT how you should feel when you use such a "wonderful system" this CEO would have us believe Arlo is.

Fix the issue once and for all!!!
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Useless junk - this afternoon I can't even get into Arlo website at all, neither from my desktop, not from Android... even tried over VPN service just in case there's something funky with my DNS here... nope... can't access Arlo at all... was wondering when they'd break the web functionality, guess now I know...

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Mine too. Cant change modes or live view. And as im typing this it keeps saying arlo not available. Access token expired. Theres no battery icon or the man icon. Nothing. Junk. Is right
RaylanC
Apprentice
Apprentice

OMG.  The wife has HSN on TV and currently they are selling the Arlo 3 pack and deceiving all shoppers with misinformation.  Leading them to the slaughter!  They want Arlo owners to call in with their wonderful Arlo stories.  Yikes!

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yep. Imagine that. iOS app and web site down. Guess Arlo Team is out celebrating their Wall Street launch ... just when u think it can't get any worse.
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And I keep getting tons orf motion alerts but can't do anything about them... its getting windy here now so can't even get in so I can switch over to my custom Windy mode... so all my batteries are going to go dead flat before morning, I have a ton of trees... joy...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Was able to get into my Arlo account, but everything is gone, lol... as in all the tabs are EMPTY...

Nice going, Netgear...!!!

langrock
Guide
Guide
Confirmed. Nothing’s working anymore. What a clusterfu*k. Too busy celebrating, are we Arlo team?
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cluster f**k indeed, that's dead on the money... I have been waiting for thisto happen, it never fails.. they just f**k up one thing after another... glad my dogs are reliable at least... Arlo certainly isn't...

pc2k17
Hero
Hero
One day after the IPO and the entire Arlo network is down. I know this because smartthings app, Arlo Pilot, can't connect to the Arlo database.
Lol, you can't make this up? WOW!!!! I see ring doorbell now integrates with smartthings, not sure if the cams do yet, but if they do I'm going to consider switching.
RaylanC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I am totally down too.  Everything is offline.  C'mon ARLO. tell us what you are doing!!  I thought there were supervisors on this community.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Through persistence I was able to get in and catch Arlo when everyhting was working, quickly switched all my base stations to WINDY mode... so... I'm sure Arlo will be up and down for foreseable future... most down... but at least my batteries won't die now that I have it set for windy conditions...

This system and network just s**ks beyond words...

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I like how they put out an announcement after it goes down. So guessing it wasnt planned or they didnt have the decency to send an email warning us. Complete garbage. Unrealiable and incompetent staff