Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
For what it's worth .... have 5 Pros on three different base stations all with latest firmware. Noticed 2 Pros on one of the base stations draining twice as fast as the others. Other two base stations had been powered cycled so I finally got around to power cycling the one draining faster. Since the power cycle it is now performing better and comparable to the other base stations ... one to two percent every few days. Typical video is 2 to 3 per day at 10 seconds.
DocCJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

My batteries are also still depleting faster than they used to prior to the May and June firmware updates. Most cameras are now dropping about 40% in two weeks, so this is not anywhere near the advertised performance claims. They used to drop at half that rate. Many cameras recorded one or two videos in this period, hence the charge depletion has nothing to do with usage. I have the latest firmware, have rebooted the base station, swapped batteries, reset cameras, and so forth. I shouldn't have to do all this. I cannot say that I am a promoter of this product anymore.

BGPunggol
Guide
Guide
I agree with you guys as the firmware update did not resolve the battery drain issue and my camera has been losing 2-6% depending on it's mood. As suggested, I had switched off night vision as my camera is in a well lit area with minimal movement but the power usage is totally unacceptable as Arlo is suppose to last a minimum 2 months and not 2 weeks. Really hope Netgear do something about this like they dis for their app issue. It's their reputation they are risking.
Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice
I was so do happy with the latest update until I rebooted the Basestation last night.. And the cameras went from 80-90% down to 40. But not all, only some.. Which is really odd.
They were all fully charged the day after the last update. 60% in 2 weeks isn't anywhere near advertised times..
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Thyg0d

Seeing same symptoms as u describe. Have 5 Pros on 3 different bases. Have one base with 2 Pros draining 6% plus per day. Reset base and after a couple of days draining at unacceptable rate. The other cameras and two bases draining at acceptable rates. Problem helped but obviously note resolved.
dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

aright... same here, the 6/21/18 base station 1.10.0.7_21310 update did not fully address the battery drian problme on Arlo Pro camers.

I have two set of Arlo, one is 3x Arlo Pro(HD), and at another house with a set of 3x Arlo Pro 2(FHD).

The one Arlo Pro camera that I'm having battery drain issue just died again today, that only last from the last reboot/full charged in late June, just a bit over two weeks time. other two camera in the set are shwoing 75% and 78%. (I charged it with the battery inside the camera)

Arlo Pro Camera

Hardware : H8
Firmware: 1.092.0.13_19715

The other set of 3x Arlo Pro 2 camera are working as per normal, they were also fully charged up and reboot since the June update, all three camera still showing 91% of batteries.

Looks like we still need to wait for a proper camera firmware fix.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@DawnM. @JamesC

Is it possible for you to confirm that the battery drain issue has not been resolved with the 6/21 base firmware update. Change helped but strangely is not resolving issue for some base units. Can see several reports by experienced users that the new firmware has resolved drain for some bases but not all. I have two bases drained as expected but one draining 40 pts/week. This base unit is set up just like the other two relative to settings, etc.

Would be great to get some kind of update!
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I can confirm the same, the battery drain issues are NOT resolved.

My Arlo original base station (with Arlo HD original cameras) is fine. My Arlo original HD cameras connected to the VMB4000r3 Arlo Pro base station are working fine (maybe they have a very slightly higher than normal drain but not much or anything too noticeable) BUT that can not be said of my Arlo Pro cameras connected to the VMB4000r3 Arlo Pro base station.

The Arlo Pro cameras connected to the VMB4000r3 Arlo Pro base station have a massive battery drain problem. It is ridiculous and very annoying (plus quite worrying too from a security point of view if my cameras die whilst I am not there to charge them).

I charged fully my Arlo HD cameras and Arlo Pro cameras at the same time and they usually drain relatively equally but as of today the Arlo HD cameras are at 74% vs 28% on the Arlo Pro.

Something needs to be done to address this issue as they were not like that before a few months ago and usually the Arlo Pro cameras lasted the same if not longer than my HD cameras.

Please resolve this asap as I need to go away on holiday soon and if my Arlo Pro cameras die whilst I am away I will have no security on my property.
Bob_B
Star
Star

Dear Netgear,

(1) As has become evident from responses in this message series, the rapid battery drain problem with Arlo Pro cameras has not been fixed and eliminated by your latest firmware updates. I understand that correcting the problem takes time, but, if this is indeed the case, why not provide to us users a rollback to a firmware version prior to May 15, 2018 that is known to have worked well for many of us?

(2) I understand Netgear's desire/need to update firmware periodically, but I suggest that such updates be at the discretion of the user. Microsoft, Firefox, and many other software/hardware companies provide an option to allow users to decide if and when to apply updates. Indeed, my Netgear router doesn't automatically update its firmware; it informs me that a new version is available, it tells me what the new firmware does/fixes, and it allows me to install based on my needs. This should be the default with Arlo firmware.

(3) We, the users of Arlo cameras, should be told the nature of the problem causing the excess battery drain. Battery drain is the symptom. What exactly did the firmware update do to cause the problem in the first place?

(4) So much of what we users report is anecdotal, because Arlo firmware and software does not record battery useage. A simple and highly effective way to gain _useful_ data that will help understand the problem (and hopefully quickly solve it) is to write code that allows users to record their camera battery level over time, and graph it out, in the software and apps we use to monitor our cameras. Alternatively, a log file of key camera modalities (battery level, motion detection level, number of captures, etc) would benefit everyone, especially Netgear engineers, and allow users to have a better sense of problems and their potential solutions.

We, the users, expect better from you. Please listen to us. We like your products, and are here as a community to work together with you to solve problems

Thank you.

Hoboryan
Tutor
Tutor

My issues have been resolved. About 10%-12% degradation (each of my 3 cameras) since the firmware upgrade was put in.

You can also tell by the less frequent "alerts" that you get from posts made in this thread. Seems like most users are fine now. Not sure what's affecting the "others"; Arlo needs to investigate.

Is it a specific version of the cameras? Specific type of usage?

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
For me it seems to be the battery drain happens during the night and probably linked to the erratic infrared led problem where the leds light up for no reason when it is dark.

I have not personally seen my Arlo Pro cameras with the ir leds lit for no reason but certainly the cameras don't seem to lose too much battery power during the day and it's only after the dark periods when there is a noticeable drop in battery percentage.

I have reset my cameras and base station after these updates so don't think its relative to that so should therefore not be happening.

Unfortunately my cameras are positioned high up outside so having to remove there from their position to charge them is not my favourite passtime so it would be great if Netgear could find a fix for this (or as has been suggested numerous time allow us to roll back to working firmware)
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
What's strange about current status for me is that the three base units I have all same type, purchased same time, close to same serial number, on same settings. Cameras also same with IR off, same WiFi strength, no video, same firmware, etc. And one of three draining 4 to 5x of the other two. So, don't believe issue is type, settings, or the IR old issue. Something else much more challenging is going on. Arlo's silence is deafening!!!!
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's really odd for sure. Its like the firmware update hasn't been done correctly or become corrupt and caused some issue.

Hopefully if a new update happens soon it might sort it without the need to do anything but I guess the development team think it's fixed unless someone relays messages from this forum to the actual developers so they know there is still an issue.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Since I was involved in this thread I'd like to add my experience. Since the June 21st base firmware update my battery usage has gone back to normal. Example, just charged one camera to 100% last friday, 6 days later with minimal to average use, I'm at 96% now. Three other cameras also behaving the same way. In fact, for the first time in 5 months, my system is working perfectly. App working good, motion detection good, battery usage good, video quality good, 2 way audio good, integration with SmartThings good. It's all just working how it's supposed to work.

I believe Arlo actually got the firmware right this time. For those still with battery issues, my guess is it isn't the firmware itself, but the application of the firmware. Sounds like it just didn't update/install correctly for some. If that's the case, unless Arlo has another idea, only thing I can think of is to reset your base/system back to factory defaults and start all over. Maybe then the firmware will apply/install correctly. Good luck.

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
For me its the exact opposite.

Mine was "fine" before the update (of a few months ago. By fine o mean I had no complaints and all seemed good.

Now I have battery issues, terrible image quality and 2 way audio is practically impossible.

So it seems varied from user to user.

I have reset my base station and cameras too but as my batteries are now low I might reset mine again including removing batteries etc just to see if doing it again does make any difference.

It would still really be useful if when we have working cameras we are able to stop any automatic updates. I think that is an essential feature that needs to be added.

Netgear may think the updates improve things and on paper may be they do but in practice for some certainly not and it just messes their systems up.

We should be able to update firmware manually and not be forced to allow Netgear to control it.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
My system is working perfectly as well. Not sure why people still having issues. My battery usage is back to what it used be . full charge lasts almost two months which is good for me . i get lots of traffic and people walking by almost daily. 70+ videos a day with school being out.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary
Mine is 4/5 fixed. 1/5 still experiencing issue.

I have 5 arlo pro on one base station. Got update on 6/21 and fully charged battery for all cameras on 6/24.

Now 4 cameras still have about 80%, which I consider normal speed.

One is down to 24% with very minimum usage and motion.

All cameras are on the same settings and schedule.

So yes still some one off issue
Chief-kir
Tutor
Tutor
I have still issues.
I have 2 cameras and they was fully charged before I left home for 1 1/2 week ago.
No recordings, no motion detection... Nothing and the batteries are down to 61%
1 inside and 1 outside so the problem is definitely not solved.
I have the latest firmware upgrade and have a ticket but no answer from Arlo of course.

It's were annoying. I have asked them if I can get a refund since the battery time is not near what was promised and no answer what so ever.

All of the theories people have are just speculation and at the end I feel that the system sucks.

Most annoying is that Arlo doesn't even respond to mail, facebook, phone call or anything..
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I think maybe they just put a band aid on it. I thought mine were working fine . they are not draining but what they are doing is false readings from time to time. Charged mine a month ago. Last night i disarmed them and battery on front outside camera was at 56%. Today after 50+ videos they are at 61%???? How do you gain battery ? I think they did a patch job and things still are not right. Batteries should not go up and down. Only down.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm the same as you, I would return mine in a flash but unfortunately I bought mine from Maplin (in the UK) who have gone bust.

My original Arlo HD cameras are a lot better quality image and always work perfectly with no issues. The night images are in a different league to the Arlo Pro cameras so I would be very happy if I could just return my Pro system and just stick with my original Arlos.

Hopefully Netgear development team is working on a fix and its rolled out soon.

Maybe @DawnM or @JamesC have some info/insights they can add to this?

I really want to love my Arlo Pro system but its been nothing but trouble and for the £490 I paid for it (2 camera kit) it's pretty disappointing. The worst part is I can't even sell it in the state it is in as I wouldn't feel comfortable palming it off onto someone when I know its not right.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Just a guess........... I think the battery percentage going up is due to outside temperature. A while ago, I saw this happen on my camera that is inside my attached garage. On a very hot day for where I live, 90+, it can get well over 100-110 degrees in my garage. When this happens I see strange things start to happen to the electronic devices I have in the garage, like the camera and also smartthings devices. Once the garage cools things go back to normal. I saw the battery percentage go up one time on my inside garage cam and it was over 100 in the garage. Next morning battery was back to reporting percentage correctly.

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
Temperature definitely does have an effect of lithium ion batteries as they prefer warmer temperatures. The "best" temperature for a lithium ion battery is said to be around 27 Dec C during its discharge cycle. This seems to be the "sweet spot" and gives the most energy out of the cell. That is not to say the outside temperature has to be 27 degrees but rather the constant temperature of the battery itself during its discharge cycle as this delivers the most energy. Usually manufacturers do their battery discharge testing in laboratory conditions to keep a battery at a constant temperature which is why their stated capacity isn't usually achievable in real world use.

So colder temperatures will certainly degrade the performance of the batteries (especially if you are going sub zero Deg C), whether or not it would be enough to visually show up in the Arlo battery monitor I don't know but it may be, but I too have also seen my battery percentage increase before for no apparent reason but not paid attention to the conditions.

If you open your battery compartment and remove the battery then reinsert it again you usually see a jump in battery percentage too but that then tends to correct itself once a load is put on the battery.

I have noticed on many occasions after this firmware update that the battery percentage seems not to change, then suddenly drops by a good few percent, but that is probably linked to it seemingly draining excessively over night which is presumably linked to the erratic IR behaviour so maybe that is the root cause still and needs addressing.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
In florida the temps stay hot even at night its often in the 80's. 95 during the day. I get the whole temp thing. I use lipo batteries also for my planes. I just dont see how it goes up after recording a bunch of videos. Not a biggie though as many others are having bigger problems. Overall the batteries are performing well. But the whole lack of communication and terrible support has made up my mind. No more arlo/netgear products for me. Too many issues for me. They even erased a paid subscription and then claimed to know nothing about it even though i have a credit card receipt. Im sure theres another camera company out there that wants my money. Wont buy arlo again
Jayz0r
Star
Star
Well, I'm "glad" (not really, but.. you know) to see I'm not the only one still experiencing these issues with a fast drain. One of my cameras isn't even doing anything at all, yet it managed to drain 17% in about a week. Imagine if it was actually armed 😕
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

My battery on one of my camera's was showing 84% at midnight,  10am I get notification that It's dead flat. It was charged 1 week ago. I charged it and three other camera's the day before the firmware update in June and this one and one other both discharged in two weeks.  I have rebooted the base and also done a hard reset and set everything up again.  My cameras (5) are on the same settings and nothing has changed except the two firmware updates in May & June! I swap my batteries as I have a spare and use the charging station to charge them so It's not the battery. I don't swap the battery in one Camera as I  have it connected to a solar panel.