Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
Puckit
Aspirant
Aspirant

YES!!!  My Arlo Pro's batteries are draining incredibly fast all of a sudden (after the update?)!!!!  This is too much......I hope they fix this soon.  I believe I made a mistake going the wireless route!  Before this last update, I was really happy!

Fy27
Star
Star
This morning, one of my cameras dropped 3% overnight while set to on and armed. No recordings. This is beyond the IR turning on while the camera is off issue.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes i experienced that also. The new firmware will correct that issue. Im on the trial now and batteries are back to normal
MKH
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my arlo cameras has been just going through batteries faster and faster everytime now. This is my inside camera so the environment is the most stable. This is my least used camera as well, it is off most of the time and has only logged a few minutes of use monitoring and recording per the last two sets of batteries. It seems that the battery drain is occuring when the camera is off, this last time it ate the batteries in a week's time with only a few minutes of use. The camera is about a year old and the newest of my cameras. The firmware is the same as my other cameras 1.2.16720

I have 4 other cameras and have used the same kind of batteries for years and never had this kind of an issue.

These are the basic Arlo wireless cameras.

Thanks

I should mention that when this camera was new, the images would be pink in  transition from night vision to daylight, but It has not done that for a long time. Do not know if that has any relevance.

HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide
EXACTLY the same problem!!!!
Chase84
Guide
Guide
I've still had 0 response to my ticket. I posted in the thread to be part of the field test, nadda. Provided my information on fb, nadda. So I'm fed up. Just posted my system on Kijiji. Shipped my netgear switches back to Amazon this morning as I still had a few days left. Entirely done with Netgear.
LaboratoryCat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I keep reading about a trial firmware update that seems to help with the rapid battery drain I'm experiencing. How does one download that update?

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Cant blame you. The support is the worst ive ever seen in any type of business
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You dont download it. They do.
HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide

I returned my kit on warrant due to the battery drain. Got a completely new kit. Still same problem... Last time battery lasted for 6 months, now 2 week with NO change in settings.

Chase84
Guide
Guide
Agreed. I have one of their switches left. Ordered a tp link earlier. Soon as it comes, this one is also going up for sale. Just have to cancel the arlo subscription before it rebills next month. If anyone is looking to buy a 7 cameras and a base station, essentially 8 paper weights in total, let me know.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Its not the camera its the firmware. When they put out out the trial firmware to production the batteries will return to normal
HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide

So when will they release new firmware to sort the problem????

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thats the 10 million dollar question. There not saying
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Dont turn it off. Disarm instead. Thats why its draining. Firmware bug.
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Was offered the trial, but think I'll just wait until the production release.  With the bad luck I've been having with my system since the last couple of updates, I'm certain something will get thoroughly borked.  If its a production release, and a lot of systems get borked, then Netgear will be a bit more timely about fixing it... maybe... but... huh... given their response to this latest bork... probably not...

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I did it only because it couldnt get much worse. A total crash would probably be a good thing rthen i would just have to buy another system and have an excuse to rack up my credit card. But seems ok. Batteries still in the 90's for 3 days thats right on course for me. I would imagine they should release it soon
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Just hope we dont have to go thru this with every major release. That was the problem 3 releases at once.
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Fireware updates should not be pushed on us - we should be allowed to download and install them when and if we are ready.  And Netgear doesn't bother to notify us when they are going to push out these updates, either - so they have us chasing our tails the next day becasue functionality is borked and we have no idea what happened, or what's going on...

That's like me installing updates for my clients' system and not bothering to tell them... you just can't do that.  Even with all the testing in the world, updates casue issues - and different issues for different systems/setups because no two clients will ever use a system the exact same way.  And its like this with Arlo, too... so a bug that affects me and my setup/usage might not affect you and your setup/usage.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Wklovelace3 wrote:
Just hope we dont have to go thru this with every major release. That was the problem 3 releases at once.

Got my 1st Gen Arlo May2015 and Added Pros early last year.. Eversince then, Every new updates have issues, some were not too bad and some just annoyingly bad like this one we're in right now... I hope so too but thru the years my experienced sadly it's the same crap we customers have to go thru with the new update release(s)... It's indeed scary coz' you'll never know also if your system will end up bricked and nothing to fall back on instantly.. 

Good to hear the field trial is working for you... I hope Arlo will release the final production before it's too late..

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Wklovelace3

For the field test, did they download new firmware to you Arlo Pro cameras? Or new app or both?

Glad to hear it is still performing.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
The firmware goes to the base station. It was done overnight.
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
All my base stations are 0963. Can u confirm the field test is not this version. Ask to be on field test. Given poor communications just double checking they did not update my bases.
jtoalson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had this system for over 3 years and never had an issue, in the last 3 months I have a total of 5 cameras and 3 of them will not hold a charge for more than 1-3 days. I've swapped the batteries to rechargeable, back to out fo the box, move locations to even a foot away from the base station, but they still only last a few days. I've reset the entire system, added them back, changes locations and yet nothing works. I'm really just considering changing to another brand. 

Specs are: 

Base - 2.5.3.899_21733

Camera 1-5, each are H7

maxkatz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think we all understand that things break, softwae has bugs and a new bug might have been introduced in the latest update. That's fine, it happens. What's really upsetting is how Alro handles this.  

Arlo has to say we know there is a problem and we are working to fix it as soon as possible. 

I called phone support, but they are completely clueless. It's emberacing. 

Most of us spent a lot of money on Arlo cameras. I'm going to make a guess and say that most people spent $500+. Alro should be able to provide support not for just 90 days (look at Apple). 

Again, it sucks when things break or don't work but we all understand it happens. The issue is how Arlo handles. You need to admit that something is not working and you will fix it. Right now it's a big fail.