Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Had all the so called "smart" features with 2.5.2. How about forgetting about the added features and just get the darn thing to work as you claim!!!! Geez what a mess. Swear no one is in charge.
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC. Multiple bugs still not fixed. Batteries draining in two weeks. And, engineering is still releasing firmware. 2.5.4 just released claiming smart features that showed up in 2.5.2. Really? Is anyone in charge? May want to just get things working as claimed before multiple releases ... just a mess right now and no communications!!!!
Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like Dennis Aldover is in charge according to: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/news/arlo_spotlight/dennis_aldover.aspx Maybe they are too busy selling Arlo systems right this minute on the Home Shopping Network for $319.95 for a 4 camera system (VMC3030 & VMB 3000 base station).

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
https://www.multichannel.com/.amp/news/netgear-spin-out-arlo-have-matthew-mcrae-serve-its-ceo-417982

Here is the new CEO. He needs find a different job for the firmware director causing all the grief.

Maybe we should start emailing Mr McRae
MadMatt1971
Aspirant
Aspirant

So even when i disarm my cameras the IR light is still coming on draining the batteries rapidly. Disarm was working as a short term fix for me but not anymore. This is shamefull...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same s**t, different day - just did a couple of cams, IR lights STILL come on when cam status is off... and its been HOW LONG NOW that we've been waiting for a fix?

And I'll bet one NEVER comes, despite their promises of a *fix* being in testing - aka, the black hole of no return, we'll never see it.  At least, I probably won't in MY lifetime, I'm old!

So Netgear has a class action suit against them for cable modem?  Are they trying to go for another one with their negligence and incompetence with Arlo system?

Seriously - WTF?

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are suddenly starting to think, "I just CHARGED that battery yesterday!" instead of "Huh - oh, yeah, guess it is about that time to charge batteries" then there is a real problem.  I used to experience the latter after a long while of cam use... even at high res and longer videos (used to set for 30 seconds), but now with low res and 10 second videos and not that many videos at that, multiple times during the week I think the former - I just put a new battery in that cam yesterday!  Or the day before... should NOT drain so fast for a product they claim, what?  Batteries should go 4 months on a single charge?

Add false advertising to the class action lawy suit in the making for negligence and incompetence with Arlo...

Ekiz
Guide
Guide

Same goes for me.
Firmware: 1.2.16720
HW Version: H7

Cameras are in Disarmed mode

Have changed batteries (different brands) three times now, same after 2-5 days. The batteries are completely drained.
This started about one month ago, the two cameras has been in the same position for over a year, Tried to reset, changed the position moved them closer to basestation, only five meters from it. But still consuming batteries in 2-5 days, then they are completly drained.

As these batteries are really expensive, like 35UsD for four of them in Sweden, this was the last time I bought new ones 😞

As I dont have any control at all over Down / Upgrade the firmware the only solution seems to be to throw the cameras in the trash can as there is no warranty anymore. I can only blame myself who was dumb enough to buy these Arlo cameras.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At least Beavis and Butthead would be entertaining... Arlo support staff are not... or, at least, they are humorous in their lack of knowledge about the product they are supposed to be supporting... third party support or no, whoever you charge with doing your support, you better make sure they know the damned product inside and out!  when the customers have to educate the support staff, that's really sad...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has field trial firmware available that may help address the issues being reported in this discussion. If you would like to participate in this field trial, please post a confirmation in this thread and we will escalate your information to the engineering team.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has field trial firmware available that may help address the issues being reported in this discussion. If you would like to participate in this field trial, please post a confirmation in this thread and we will escalate your information to the engineering team.

JamesC

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

Don't understand the engr solution may help. Can pretty much resolve battery issue by turning off IR. Symptom of IR causing new issue of battery drain noticed by many in the community. This should be enough of a clue for engr to "know" what has changed since the 2.5 firmware update to create the problem. We are now multiple revisions deep without understanding cause.

Push notifications when not requested still happening on all Q's.

Live feed audio occasionally sticks on even when live feed is turned off. Must exit app to turn off audio.

Live feed seemed sluggish to connect compared to prior releases.

Would be a plus if you could provide more detail on releases. Info we are getting like "bug fixes" or new smart features that started showing up in earlier releases is confusing. Clear communications can help compensate when buggy firmware releases are the norm.
Bob_B
Star
Star

@JamesC wrote:

JamesC

Yes, I would like to be included in the field trial.

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC
Please deploy the field trial to me as soon as possible.
BillUhr
Guide
Guide

I'll participate in the field trial.

Bill

Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice
JamesC: I would like to know exactly what this field trial firmware is going to update BEFORE I agree to you sending it to me. Is it only for the VMS4330 base station or previous base stations like the VMS3330.? Is it for all cameras or just certain models? What are the fixes? If it does not resolve the problem and turns my system into a big brick will Netgear replace it all for me?
megatec45
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wouldn't it be easier for them to roll back the software to a version that works? Then they can work on an upgrade!
Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rolling back the firmware would be great because my Arlo system worked well before the "upgrade".

MB-SOCAL
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been having the same problem when I turn off a specific camera but system is in Armed mode. I feel like these cameras are still recording into Arlo's cloud even you are not giving permission. This seems like a privacy issue to me. Also, today, June 11, 2018, my account keeps logging me off stating that I logged in with another device and that is impossible because I'm the only one who knows the password. I have changed the password 4 times because of this issue and again today and it still happens. Just keep in mind that these cameras are not secure. Smiley Frustrated

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello @Bob_B and @BillUhr, I have added you to the field trial FW list. You should hear from the engineering team with further instructions within the next couple of days. We appreciate you taking the time!

Dawn Marshall

Arlo Community Manager

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Manole831

You have been added to the field trial FW list. You should hear from the engineering team with further instructions within the next couple of days. We appreciate you taking the time!

Dawn Marshall

Arlo Community Manager

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 
Please deploy the field trial to me as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Arlo_Leander
Tutor
Tutor

I have had to charge my cameras every few days. The infrared lights come on even when the camera is off and disabling them has no effect on the battery duration. This is crazy, i cant keep climbing up ladders every few days to charge the batteries. Before the update, i could get around 45-50 days of battery life out of the camera. I bought a Ring doorbell because i needed a dependable backup. Arlo - you need to do something or you will lose me as a customer. I need reliability. How do we fix this?? I hate to take down $800 worth of cameras but i will if this problem cant be fixed. What is the plan?

Kenneth Bodisch

Arlo_Leander
Tutor
Tutor

How do i get on the firmware trial field thing?

I have Arlo Pro, Version 2.5.1.893_21608

slimshizn
Tutor
Tutor

I'll participate in the field trial, might as well. Charging them every week is not viable if this fixes the issue being discussed here.