Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those users who have been experiencing increased battery drain, a new firmware release is now available that will help resolve the issue.

We appreciate your patience as the development team has worked to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The firmware on your cameras will automatically be updated between 3:00a.m.- 5:00a.m. PST. 

Please be aware that if your cameras or base station are offline or actively recording during that window, they may not receive the update.  If you do not receive the update during that window you can go to Settings > My Devices in the Arlo app, and from there choose to install the new update. 

For information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Pro - 1.092.0.17_25364 - 26th September 2018

Arlo Pro 2 - 1.125.11.1_25366 - 26th September 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
Since a few days ago, even when the cameras are turned off AND the system mode is ‘disabled’, the motion LEDs turn on when motion is detected. I’m guessing the latest firmware has this bug. This is killing the batteries.
Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
Here’s an interesting data point - if I turn ON the camera but set the system to disarmed, everything works as expected. The issue only happens when the Camera is turned off regardless of whether or not the system is armed. This is a big issue for people using the SmartThings integration which turns cameras on and off.
brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

Have you checked if Night Vision is turned on in your settings for the cameras? If you don't need Night Vision try turning it off.

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
The night vision firing on is just the symptom and the indicator to prompt me to investigate what’s going on. The real issue is that turning off the camera (what SmartThings does behind the scenes) is not actually deactivating the camera as it was correctly doing before the latest firmware upgrade. This is ultimately draining the battery many times faster.
brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

I had this problem last week when I moved some cameras off of the original base station to a new Pro base. I had to delete these cameras in Smartthings along with the associated custom rules, etc. and using the Smartthings Market Place > Cameras to reconnect them.

One other thing that I learned from one of the users here. Do not use the Smartthings Mode in Arlo. Just set up all the cameras in the Arlo Armed mode and let Smartthings control the cameras.

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I learned the hard way as well to avoid the SmartThings mode and just leave it on Armed at all times.

I have a ton of custom rules in ST so deleting and re-adding is going to be a PITA. I’ll give it a shot on one camera first and see if it works.
Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I removed and readded the camera and the same issue persists - turning the camera off does not actually turn it off.
brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

Wow, very interesting. When you arm/disarm the cameras in Smartthings and go to Things, are they showing Active/Inactive in Smartthings? If so, can you connect to Arlo's live view in Smartthings?

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, all that worked like a charm.

Can you do a quick test for me when you get a chance - put your camera in a close to pitch black room (or just wait till tonight), put the system in Armed mode and turn off the camera. Then, see if your night vision LEDs come on when you walk by. I’m guessing this is a widespread issue with the firmware recently released and I’m the first to notice with SmartThings.
brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

I might have to wait until tonight, but I will see if I can replicate this. Is it only hapening on your Wire Free cameras or are the Pro models also being affected?

Do you have the Night Vision turned off?

Since Smartthings seems to be working fine, when you arm/disarm the cameras in Smartthings, are they acting correctly in Arlo?

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
It’s happening with both the original wireless Arlo as well as the Pro II. I have night vision turned on (this is the only way to debug the issue as there is no other indicator that the camera is on when it’s supposed to be off). Also, ST to Arlo integration is working as expected all around. Thanks for your responsiveness and hopefully we can figure this out.
brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

Turn the Night Vision off for each camera. In Arlo on the Device page click on the gear icon and turn on the camera and go to video settings to turn it off. Now go to the room where the camera is and either Smartthings or Arlo will send you a notification that motion has been detected. That lets you know that the camera is armed and detecting motion. Check if the lights are coming on.

Turn the camera off.

Go to Smartthings and activate the camera. Check Things to see if the camera is showing Active. Now walk into the room and see if the lights are coming on.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

Me set up is probably different from yours as my outdoor cameras don't need Night Vision as lights are turned on whenever motion is detected either by the camera or motion sensors I have placed outside. Inside, in every room where I have cameras, I use the Smartthings wall plugs to turn on lamps that give me enough light so that I don't need Night Vision there either.

It is possible that with Night Vision turned on, the lights will turn on even if the camera is disabled, if I remember correctly that happens. (I can check that tonight). These lights turning on will definitely run through batteries quickly.

All I have been trying to establish so far is if the Smartthings/Arlo connection is doing what it should, in case you wondered why I have had you try different things.

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don’t get a notification when the camera is turned off so it appears that the notifications are honoring the on/off camera status but the night vision is not. I do need night vision enabled so unfortunately this isn’t an option for me. Also, this bug just started a few days ago for me (was previously working fine).
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shammy,

How often does this occur? Are you accessing or streaming the camera when you notice this?

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

@Manole831

It finally got dark enough to test the cameras. I turned on the Night Vision on all my cameras and although disabled, the red IR lights did come on when motion was detected. If I remember correctly, they have always worked that way, which is why I decided to leave the Night Vision disabled and find another solution.

Brian

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
On the bright side, now I know I’m not the only one :). It definitely was working correctly for quite some time (had this setup for 6+ months) but I recall a while ago this same kind of issue. My guess is Netgear fixed it and then this recent release regressed the bug fix.
KimberlyB
Star
Star

ABSOLUTELY LIVID with Arlo right now.  Have had 5 cameras for 6 months that have worked flawlessly.  I have had the same issue the last few days . . . I keep all my cameras off when I am home and the night vision has been turning on when the cameras are OFF - drained the batteries on two of my cameras.  I am on the phone with Arlo and they have me speaking to some foreigner that keeps giving me the run around.  How is this support?  I have $600 worth of cameras now that are useless.

KimberlyB
Star
Star

I don't have SmartThings...I just have a base station and 5 cameras that worked great until the other day.  Now the night vision keeps coming on even though the camera is off and it is killing my batteries so essentially, I cannot use the cameras at night.  Livid about this.  If it is a "firmware" problem - can NetGear fix this? I am not tech saavy - but really pissed off right now.  I am on the phone as we speak and am getting the run around.  They tell me they have had "four" calls about it and will "elevate" it to their tech people.  Sorry but how the heck does that help me with my cameras????

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I feel EXACTLY the same way. Had a good run for around six months after having other issues with Arlo previously and now this. In your case, if you’re not using SmartThings, why do you need to turn Cameras on/off? Instead, could you just use different modes to arm and disarm motion? The issue only occurs for me when the camera is off (disarming while keeping the camera on turns off motion).
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have 10 cameras and have to now run around and change batteries all the time - WTF Netgear?  Between the issues with their arlo.netgear.com website where every change is a step backward, and their horribly designed Android app... really makes me want to move to different cameras.  I love the hardware, don't get me wrong, they work very well for my needs, but things keep getting worse with web interface, Android app and new "features" (read:  BUGS).  When I first got them a little over a year ago, the website and Android app worked great... but now...

Shammy
Star
Star

Thanks James.  It comes on everytime I pass by it.  The motion sensor triggers the nightvision infrared lights to come on.  It just started doing this, never has before.  I have the camera disabled so I don't know why or how this can happen.

Ver_non
Initiate
Initiate

hello,

i have the same issue with my cameras. hugeand quick battery drain.can't figure out what is causing it. i need help with this also! anyone?

Ianmei
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem I charge the battery 100% the I place the camera outside on the wall mount and en a couple of hours drained to 80% the 50% and by the rest of the day now is 1% just in half day something goes badly wrong 😡🤨