Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
martino369
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have received the incompatible charger message when attempting to charge 2 pro cameras. These cameras are brand new and I am using the original, official Arlo chargers. This is the first time for charging both. I have plugged and unplugged numerous times as well as using different outlets. I'm strongly considering returning the cameras. I want to keep them and need them, however after reading many of the posts, it seems as if there are numerous problems that Netgear doesn't apply the proper resources to resolve.. I use Blink and Nest ca,meras without problem.. Please provide any assist you can. Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it happens to both cameras, I think it's likely your charger. It would be worth swapping cables to be sure. Do you happen to have another charger for a recent phone such as Samsung that supports both 5v and 9v outputs? If you do, try using it.

Marioa111
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue after the update. Tried different charging cables try another arlo charging cable and all 3 of the pro's i have are doing the same as yours. I am about ready to sell everything and find another system that doesnt have these issue. First its the app takes for ever to view video, speak to someone using the camera and not sensing motion. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe it's the charger itself? Are you using the Netgear charger that supplies both 5v and 9v outputs? Have you tried another charger from a recent phone that also supplies those voltages?

martino369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the lateness of reply, it's been very rainy and i haven't had the opportunity to test the cameras again.  They are both mounted outside and require a ladder to retrieve.  I'm looking through my chargers now.  It appears a 5v charger was supplied with the camera 2 pack.  I have arlo lights and the charger is identical to the one that came with the cameras.  I did find a qualcomm 9v charger and guess what!?  It is working with the 1st camera, I'll try on the other later.  Why would a 5V charger be supplied with this camera pack?  It's wasted alot of your time and mine.  Anyway, I really appreciate your help.  Thank you!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could have been a packaging mistake or someone switched it at the store. Is the 5v one marked Netgear?

martino369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it is marked Netgear.  I ordered this from Walmart.com as a bundle of 2 arlo pros, one charger, and one arlo mount.  It came well packaged and looked new.  It was supposed to be new and not a refurb or open box.

Funky82
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue here is a picture of the adapter that came in the box. Is it correct?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that the chrger or cable is bad. Try a different cable. If still no good, do you have a charger from a recent phone that supports both 5v and 9v outputs like the Netgear one? If so, try that as a test. If that works, you can open a case with support here for a bad charger.

martino369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that is identical to the charger that came with my Arlos, 5V only, the cameras need 9V.  I used a Qualcomm 9V charger that I had and it charged them without problems.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The picture above shows both 5v and 9v, not just 5v. If you got a charger that's 5v-only, open a case with support here to get the proper charger.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

martino369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I see now it is 9V as well as 5.  I have 5 identical chargers, 4 came with Arlo lights and 1 with the cameras.  They all charge the lights w/out problem, so that shows the chargers and lines work.  However, when I hook up a camera to charge with these chargers, I get the incompatible charger message.  The cameras charge just fine with another charger I have and also a couple more I ordered specifically for them.  Go figure!!!   Unless you have any plausible expalnation for this, please close the ticket.  I don't want to waste anymore time on this issue.  I'm now able to keep them charged, with the new chargers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I recall, the lights will charge on 5v. It's the camera that needs the 9v output. As such, I believe the lights come with a charger that's only 5v. If the 5v/9v charger isn't working, that's a different story and you can get a new one by opening a case with support here.

JBX4
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Arlo,

of the three (3) camera bundle I purchased from Costco (and all of them have been working fine), and a month ago two of the three started giving the "incompatible charger detected..." message. Along with the original charger that came in the box, I also purchased Qualcomm Quick Charger 3.0. As I tried different combinations, I was able to get one of the two (2) troublesome cameras working again. 

The third one is still giving me the same "...incompatible charger..." message when connected to the original Arlo charger as well as with the Qualcomm 3.0. 

There was rain in my area (Southern Cal; Los Angeles, specifically), and having reviewed the Community Support chats, I opened the case, removed the battery to ensure that the battery and the interior of the camera are dry. (Note: These cameras are under the eves--not exposed to direct rain.) I'm still having trouble with this one camera.

Please advise.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying that these cameras are all being powered by a charger outdoors? If the chargers are not outdoor-certified, they don't seal the connections from moisture getting in. That will lead to the problem. You have to dry the connection out completely before you have any chance of getting rid of the message. ANd then use outdoor adapters with proper sealing such as the Arlo outdoor power supply.

JBX4
Tutor
Tutor

I removed the battery and left the camera battery cover open, letting them dry for two hours. What else can I do ensure the unit is completely dry and get rid of the message, Guru? Thanks-

JBX4
Tutor
Tutor

This is what I used, which is weatherproof: Quick Charge 3.0 Power Adapter with 16.5 ft/ 5.0 m Weatherproof Cable for Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro2

And this is per your link for an outdoor charger (black cord):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1D6TVP?tag=price1156505-20&ascsubtag=wtbs_5c27b092089062ce97258291

Would the black one be the solution, then?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the only approved solution. Just take the time to properly and fully insert the connector since the issue is getting the seal to actually seal.

ArloProOwner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jan 22, 2019 (USA)

Arlo you absolutely must disable your "program" that supposedly recognizes the use of a non Arlo Pro/2  charging device, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!  :  "(!) Incompatible charger has been detected.  Connect a compatible Arlo charger.  For more info, see KB article for Charging Faults. [OK, got it]" keeps popping up on all my cameras that actually have the ARLO PRO/2  outdoor weatherproof AC power adapter!  It's an ARLO PRO/2  product and it's coming up with this notice.  When the notice is there the camera is NOT RECORDING!  And besides that it shouldn't matter if it is or is not an Arlo Pro/2  product because the way these batteries last you absolutely have to have these cameras plugged in to power with the battery for backup if the power goes out…..This "incompatible" notice is just another flaw that Arlo Pro/2  should be able to fix EASILY for their customer with an simple update to allow us to be able to continually use these cameras without worrying about charging the batteries.  These are Arlo Pro/2 rechargeable batteries that only last a year if you're lucky, and this is why we need to be able to plug them in for continuous reliable power.  Now if only the cameras and the system were reliable, we'd be making some progress.  Every day it is something…..every…..single…..day…and not just once a day, several times a day.  There is no sure answer, and when they put that something is "Solved", don't bet on it.  And another thing ARLO PRO/2 , make the Arlo Pro/2  ac adapter longer than 8 feet please, that is a ridiculous length for an outdoor power cable when most people don't have outlets right where they want to put the cameras.  Think Arlo Pro/2 , think! Use your products outside of the lab.  But i'm sure this won't happen now that you've brought out the "ultra".

Send an  update Arlo Pro/2  that removes your inaccurate discovery program for non Arlo adapters, because it is incorrect, and it can't seem to detect the difference anyway, and the camera is failing to work, until you hit [okay got it]

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ArloProOwner

True, this "Incompatible Notice" been going on since early 2018 with a series of firmware/App updates... I never had an issue with this since I got my Arlo Pros mid-2017 until now randomly.. Reading this thread that it's the cable/adapter may have gone bad especially when using the "Genuine Arlo cable/adapter", It's not.. Also, some people here suggest to use any compatible 5V/9V will work too.. Well, the notice itself says "Use only Genuine Arlo" so why suggest ANY compatible 3rd Party cable/adapter? But then the Genuine Arlo Cable/Adapter itself is having this notice too so this is obviously a bug then that the talented Arlo Engineers must correct.. 

danorlinski
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had my Arlo cameras working now for a couple of years.

Now when I go to charge ANY of my cameras, I get the “incompatible charger” notification and it won’t charge.

I am using the same charger and cable that I have always used, so I find this extremely frustrating that it no longer works.

Any advice?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be a bad charger. You can buy new Arlo chargers - check the accessories for the Pro here. You can also use a phone charger that supports 5v and 9v outputs.

Mauisdad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same message " Incompatible charger has been detected," many times.    I have tried different chargers different cables.  My charger is on the inside cable runs through window to camera.  Camera works ok without charger, but I get the message when I hook up the charging cable.  Please advise. Does Arlo look at these messages?

danorlinski
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up buying a new charger.  Problem solved.

I realize this is not the best solution, but it worked for me and thought I'd share.

I was actually at the point of possibly junking the whole system and starting over, but decided to roll the dice and buy the new charger and see if it worked.