Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

IP65 Mounting Cam Outdoors

Has anyone mounted a cam outdoors where there is no overhang protecting it from sun and especially rain and had it last over a year? I have some currently mounted under an overhang. They have functioned well. Can see some condensation stain on one of them but no problems. I am not convinced they are as durable as claimed as IP65 is not IP66 nor IP 67.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a variety of cameras that I've moved on occasion so can't absolutely say that any one has been fully exposed for a year but i've had no problems with fully exposed outdoor use.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I thought you posted eleswhere that you did some warranty returns due to water damage?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure what you're referring to but the only devices I've returned for water damage were due to beta units leaking. Nothing else has had problems.  That's what betas are for - discover the problems before the general population gets them.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

I have a variety of cameras that I've moved on occasion so can't absolutely say that any one has been fully exposed for a year but i've had no problems with fully exposed outdoor use.

Have 3 outdoor mounted cameras for about 2 years now, unprotected and withstanding rain and snow with coldest Canadian winters. So far no weather related problems. The least of my worries.....

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Guys, are these powered by battery or AC and are they under any overhang? I want to make sure before I mount where there is no overhang and when I have to use a battery instead of AC (and battery). Thanks in advance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've used them both ways - under an overhang as well as fully exposed to the weather side of the house. Never had a problem under the overhang but the fully-exposed cameras have had issues which seemed to be related to the seal on the power supply cable. This was due a beta unit not sealing properly but I'm told that production units had the seal changed somehow.  It might be appropriate to use a silicon grease on the seal to help prevent water infiltration.

If you're going to use any external power, be sure to take the time to fully and properly seat the connectors, especially on the camera.  It may SEEM fully inserted but may not be.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same here......used them both ways, under overhang and on wide open brick wall. Have them all running on battery (no available outlet to plug in), not a problem so far even down to extreme cold temperatures. However I read some users report minor battery problems/warnings (mostly temporary) in some cases, where camera stopped working for a short time.