Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

IOS App Ads?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
oes
Guide
Guide

Why is it every time I click a camera feed almost this entire holiday season I'm bombarded with ads I have to close out of? This is ridiculous. People are paying hundreds and even thousands of dollars for your products. Why the hell are there ads? It's fine if you want to email me an ad here and there, but I don't want to use your app if it's going to bombard me with ads.

I was going to buy more cameras and solar panels for Christmas, but I'm seriously reconsidering this. Feels like the start of a downhill ride for this product. Arlo revenue not where you expected it?

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't gotten a single ad on Android. I can't imagine the iOS app is any different. Post a screenshot.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Using both, Android and iOS and never seen any ads. That sounds really strange.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe malware infected?  iOS is hardly immune.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like said you have a phone infected with malware. I have never seen ads on my Android.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

What iOS version you have or is it jailbreak? That might be a culprit that you're prone to malware.. I'd prolly' cleanup those unwanted Apps and get your iOS updated.. 

oes
Guide
Guide

Why would malware inject ads for Arlo products (i.e. Pro 2) and to upgrade my account to the paid one? 

oes
Guide
Guide

I'll grab a screenshot the next time it does it, it's always when I'm trying to see who's at the door while out of the house. I launch the app go to devices and try to click the camera and bam "Buy an Arlo Pro 2" in a full page popup I have to X out of before I can see my stream.

pawzoff
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have been getting ads on my android. only started last week. have malware scans etc all come up clean

i only just realised today that it was Arlo App doing it when i opened the app, went searching to see if it was possible and came across you having the same issue!

FRUSTRATING as i am a payig customer too, not using the "free" service

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo app doesn't include ads. What stuff are you seeing? Perhaps a reinstall of the app would help although tere are other possibilities, too.

oes
Guide
Guide

They are full screen ads for arlo products. Maybe they're just A/B testing it and certain users don't get them. I don't know. You can see I'm not the only one having this issue with Arlo products:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Baby/Arlo-baby-and-Arlo-app-ads/td-p/1447715

There you can see it's not a surprise for the Arlo employee that there are full page ads. I get subscription ones, arlo pro 2 ones, etc...

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

I saw the Arlo ads for a while but have not seem them as of late.

BirdWatcherNY
Guide
Guide

It's not malware. It's the standard popup mechanism used in-app for notifications like rating said app, etc. This isn't the only app that uses that for in-house ads...

I've also been getting in-app popup ads for the Arlo Pro 2 within the iOS app, on both phone and iPad, ever since the Pro 2 came out. I think I also got an ad for the forthcoming Flood Light. These aren't constant, as the original poster is (or thinks is) experiencing; I see them maybe once per week.