Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
sgr215
Star
Star

I've been looking for a good way to mount my cameras on vinyl without drilling holes and I stumbled on the perfect solution that I figured I'd share in case it helps anyone else out. There's something known as vinyl hooks - these basically tuck underneath your vinyl siding and are often used to hang things like decorations. Most of these hooks won't work - they basically only have two hooks (one part hooks into the siding, the other side is used to hang stuff). However, I found a hook that actually has a screw mount on the other side and the best part is, this screw mount part of the hook fits PERFECTLY into the OEM Netgear half-ball mount. Here's the hook in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051ZSIDK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To install it you basically just tuck the hook part underneath the siding. You then unscrew the screw a very small amount and then hang the OEM half-ball mount onto the screw. Be sure not to unscrew the screw too much, otherwise it won't fit snug against the hook itself and can cause the camera to shake (and result in false alerts in the process). The goal here is to make it as snug as possible so that there is absolutely no movement... you may need to use a bit of force to get the OEM mount to sit snug into the screw.

The great thing about this solution is that it's 100% temporary yet it gives off the impression you actually drilled holes into the siding. The hook can be easily removed and the camera can be re-positioned. I actually even bought flat cabling and tucked it behind the vinyl which means I now have my cameras hardwired and hung directly on the vinyl siding. The end result looks professional and yet I can easily remove it or change the positioning of my cameras.

8 REPLIES 8
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It may look good now but I can tell ya its going to rust then you will get a rust streak down your siding that will not come off. 

sgr215
Star
Star

silverado44 wrote:

It may look good now but I can tell ya its going to rust then you will get a rust streak down your siding that will not come off. 

Keep in mind these hooks are made specifically to be used outdoors and made of stainless steel. From the product description itself: " Simple to use, you just roll the hook into any seam in vinyl or aluminum siding, and the stainless steel won't rust or stain."

I've personally been using them since January and so far absolutely no issues with rust/staining.

OSU1994
Tutor
Tutor

Could you please post a pic?  Very interested in this as I am weary of the permanent tape solutions.

Thanks!

sgr215
Star
Star

OSU1994 wrote:

Could you please post a pic?  Very interested in this as I am weary of the permanent tape solutions.

Thanks!

There's really not much to show in a pic but if you still want one let me know and I'll take one later today when I get back from work. Regardless, it's as easy as this:

1. Take the hook and tuck it into the seam of the vinyl siding. You'll know its in right because it sort of clicks in place.

2. Hang the stock half ball magnet mount onto the hook screw. You'll notice the mount will hang very loose. If you attempt to put the camera on, you won't be able to get a good angle because the mount will slide around and cause the camera to point towards the ground.

3. Remove the camera and mount and tighten the screw on the hook a bit. Hang the mount back on to see if it fits snugly against the hook. If it doesn't, tighten it more until it does. The goal here is to make is VERY tight (as in you have to apply a bit of force to slide the mount over the hook).

4. You can now put back on the camera. If you tightened the screw enough, the weight of the camera won't cause the mount to slide down.

The great thing about this setup is it's 100% removable with absolutely no damage to your siding. Not only that, it's a lot more stable than the 3M tape method. In regards to rust -- these hooks are literally designed for this very purpose. I've had five cameras installed for ten months now and not a single hook is showing any sign of rust. The only minor thing about this setup is the half ball mount is very short so it can be hard to get the correct angle if you require a sharp 90-degree turn.

wxmanrocks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since I haven't bought the camera yet and this solution sounds like what I'm looking to do, pictures would be great.  Thanks!

OSU1994
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve implemented and it works great, I’ll try to post some pics this weekend, super simple.
bez825
Tutor
Tutor

I'm following up to a thread form 2017 that's been closed that I wanted to comment on.  The original thread:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/I-found-the-perfect-vinyl-siding-mount-that-s-100-removable/t...

I like this solution and want to implement it but I'd like to see pictures of the finished product, how it looks, etc.

I want to put 2 more cameras out and not have to drill into my siding, etc.  These are going to the back of my house where it's very windy so I need something that's secure.

bez825
Tutor
Tutor

Any chance you can post some pics on this?  I'm trying to do this and having some difficulty.