Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Estrom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to use the Arlo Pro with a plugged-in connection to power, rather than rely on the batteries, but I have a few questions:

1) To do this, do the needed accessories come in the box or do I need to buy additional accessories (and which ones?) 

2) How long is the cable?

3) Another post indicates that if you use the plug-in capability, it makes the camera no longer weatherproof.  Is this correct?  For context, my installation would route the wire from the camera through an exterior wall and would be sealed.  The power adapter would be plugged into an interior (protected) outlet. My question here is about whether the use of the cable in the camera would make the camera itself non-weatherproof.  I am not intending to use the adapter outside.

4) Can I keep the battery in while using the direct power supply so that it operates as a uninterruptible power source?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1- the power adapter or another USB power adapter with a matchin USB cable for the camera

2- about 6 feet or so, you can prob use up to a 15 ft if quality cable

3- if you silicone seal where the USB goes in, when inserted, the camera would be as water resistant as normal...not so sure about the power cube tho

4- you can remove the battery and the cam will run on the USB standard of 5v , but to keep the battery in you need an original adapter to charge as it has dual voltage 5/9 v

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1- the power adapter or another USB power adapter with a matchin USB cable for the camera

2- about 6 feet or so, you can prob use up to a 15 ft if quality cable

3- if you silicone seal where the USB goes in, when inserted, the camera would be as water resistant as normal...not so sure about the power cube tho

4- you can remove the battery and the cam will run on the USB standard of 5v , but to keep the battery in you need an original adapter to charge as it has dual voltage 5/9 v

Estrom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  This is very helpful.

One follow-up: On #3, you mention, "not so sure about the power cube tho".  

Can you elaborate.  I don't yet have the Pro cameras and I don't have the terminology down pat, so it isn't clear to me what this implies.  Is "power cube" the battery or the adapter or something else? If it's the adapter, I think I will be good since it will be inside.  

Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the Adapter,.. rectangular about 1x 2.5x 1 " ( cable end not shown is standard usb plug into adapter to micro usb for cam (?) )

The cube is the problem , but if inside, not an issue

Capture.JPG

Estrom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another follow-up question, please.

I received the Arlo Pro cameras today.  I got the kit with three cameras (VMS4330).  It comes with only one adapter, which if I understand, is not a "normal" USB adapter because it has dual voltage capabilities. 

1) So if I want to power all 3 cameras with their batteries in place (to act as a UPS), is it correct that I will need to buy two more adapters from Netgear?  When I look at the accessories page, I see that for $50 you can buy an extra battery and it comes with an adapter (VMA4400) or for $60 you can buy a charging station that comes with an adapter (VMA4400C).  But I don't see where the adapter is sold as a standalone item.  (I see an outdoor adapter, but it is "Coming Soon.")  Is this correct or am I missing it somewhere?  Fifty bucks for an adapter is pretty steep since I don't really need the battery or charging station.  Ack.

2) If instead I use the cameras without the battery installed, is it correct that I can use any old USB charging adapter?  Not my preferred setup, but I may stick with this instead of spending another $100.

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A few folks have found that a USB adapter that supports the Qualcomm fast charge scenario has worked fine. It has to supply both 5v and 9v, both at 2A, to keep the battery charged. 5v is sufficient to run the camera.