Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to change wifi channel on the Arlo Router?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
B_Boss
Initiate
Initiate

How to change WIFI channel on the Arlo Router?

Its giving disturbance to my other WIFI router.

9 REPLIES 9
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

No can do.

The router is more likely to have channel controls.

But what tells you that it is the Arlo base station (it is more an access point that a router) that causes interference. This isn't a common complaint here.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
B_Boss
Initiate
Initiate
The latency of the Wifi go up now and then and this disappear if I turn the base station off.

Somehow it seem to follow the same channel that I have on the AP for long range and it is really disturbing. That one I can change and fixate.

If it is not possible to fixate the channel then the Arlo must hit the bin... I must spend hours on different forums to warn others to not buy this **bleep** product.

Best regards

Mattias
matj
Initiate
Initiate

I live out where there is little network interference. It means I have the luxury och having 3 non-overlapping channels pretty much to myself and I'm using channels 1 and 11 for my UniFi AP:s.

I managed to trick the Arlo base to use channel 6 by temporary connecting it to an old wireless router (using that channel) without plugging the router into my network and then returning it to the normal port in a wired network switch (a Netgear GS105E).

Thinking it would be all good since the closest AP is more than 35-40 feet away. The sweet rush of victory... until a couple of days later when the base had changed channel to one interfering with channel 1 again.

I get it that you might experience less problems if you follow the channel of a close router and it sounds like a great default behaviour. But for the sake of God, let it be possible to override it (by all means, smack a big warning sign by the checkbox to discourage it being overridden).

I've invested probably in the neighbourhood of $2500 into arlo equipment and recommended the system to friends and collegues, but this is one of those things that will stop me from investing more or recommend it from now on.

The seeming reluctance from the arlo team to adress this spills over onto Netgear as a company as well. I've been quite a fanboy previously (with everything from switches to the nighthawk series) - but if they don't listen to their consumers, I'll take my money elsewhere.

Whitakersteve19
Tutor
Tutor

The reluctance of Arlo to correct this design flaw is absurd! Here's a link to a snapshot of what bad WiFi engineering from Arlo looks like. That's Arlo on the Netgear85 label. Ain't she a beaut! Interferes with everything on both sides. https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IItNUySQWNxIQTfA5aZLdUo6a2L4POJ/view?usp=drivesdk
Netgear please help. Arlo doesn't understand how complex WiFi network environments are laid out. Please! I'm begging. Steve Whitaker

Tech Support

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Whitakersteve19 wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IItNUySQWNxIQTfA5aZLdUo6a2L4POJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Please don't post download links that require us to request access from you (I'm getting "You need permission" from Google).

@Whitakersteve19 wrote:

Netgear please help.

Netgear divested Alro last December, so they aren't involved any more.

On the main point - I agree that it's be much better if Arlo provided more tools to manage wifi spectrum. About all I can suggest is to move the base away from your access points.  Certainly not ideal.

Whitakersteve19
Tutor
Tutor

My apologies. The link to the image should work now. Also, now on my computer, I can post the picture. 

Screenshot_20191003-155019_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What base station model do you have?

My current ones don't have a Netgear SSID.

Azodon
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB I have been wondering how to change the channel. Thought it was weird it kept switching to same channel as my wifi router.
I also was a fanboy and told everyone.
But this is annoying and weird.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Azodon wrote:

@StephenB I have been wondering how to change the channel. 

You can't.  FWIW, I agree it should be possible to set it manually.