Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How long will the cable be on the Outdoor Charging Cable VMA4700

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Pacific_NW
Tutor
Tutor

The accessory product information for the Outdoor Power Adapter VMA4700 does not state how long the cable is.  It is also very disappointing that this item is not yet available.  I also suspect that customers will want to see a 15 foot version of this cable.

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pacific_NW,

I do not currently have any information on this product. More information will be made available when it is released.

The target release date for this accessory is April 14th. I will provide more details as soon as I have more info.

JamesC

Deed
Tutor
Tutor

There is an outdoor cable for Arlo Pro.  Its 20 feet long and available in Amazon.  its Arlo Pro Weatherproof 20ft cable by Wasserstein.  its avaiable in black and white colors.  its for $12.99 and you get $2 discount if yiou buy 2.  I am ordering them after waiting for over 3 months for Arlo outdoor cable which never seems to get released.

Pacific_NW
Tutor
Tutor

April 14th is about 3 weeks behind us.  @JamesC - so much for your prediction.

Will your cable be as good as this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Weatherproof-Cable-Wasserstein-White/dp/B06XYBRVX9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

skysigns
Apprentice
Apprentice

The description states: To charge your cameras, the cable must be used in conjunction with the AC Adapter that comes with every Arlo PRO.

Arlo Pro does not sell the AC adapter individually, from what I can tell it only comes when you buy the battery at a cost of $50. My question is if you buy the cable (from Amazon) for $12.99 what do you do then for the AC adapter?

Deed
Tutor
Tutor

The most economical way to do this would be to purchase an aftermarket power supply. Easily avaiable.

Even Other power cords can be used and using silicon or mastic tape will make it weatherproof.

Also see the discussion at:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Power-Adapter-for-Arlo-Pro/m-p/1271712/highlight/false#M12...

Deed
Tutor
Tutor

Any 5V power supply will work.  Just take out the battery.

skysigns
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok thanks for the replies, however I would like to keep the battery in just in case I lose power the camera will still work. Otherwise the camera is useless.
Pacific_NW
Tutor
Tutor

So I got the weatherproof Wasserstein cable today and it looks like it makes a good seal with my Arlo Pro.  I will be installing the camera tomorrow and the 20 feet of line will get me from the location I will mount it to the crawl space under my house with a few feet to spare.  I will then be able to plug into the USB adaptor that came with my Arlo Pro and run an extension cord the rest of the way.  I am glad I can finally "use" my camera without getting out my tall ladder to change batteries!!!

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pacific_NW wrote:

So I got the weatherproof Wasserstein cable today and it looks like it makes a good seal with my Arlo Pro.  I will be installing the camera tomorrow and the 20 feet of line will get me from the location I will mount it to the crawl space under my house with a few feet to spare.  I will then be able to plug into the USB adaptor that came with my Arlo Pro and run an extension cord the rest of the way.  I am glad I can finally "use" my camera without getting out my tall ladder to change batteries!!!

I wasn't aware that they made that cable but that's great.

Wasserstein is kicking butt getting these products to market before Netgear. If they can develop aftermarket accessories for the Arlo before Netgear (which isn't diffiult to do lately) then they should make a mint.

I would HIGHLY reccommend their products and I have written them before about developing accessories for Arlo since Netgear is so slow getting them out and available to the public.

And their prices are much better.

Deed
Tutor
Tutor

Have found this comment in Amazon for the Arlo pro 20ft cable by Wasserstein. Has anyone encountered the same issue? I was about to order it but after this comment in Amazon it seems a show stopper.

"The cable will power the Arlo Pro with the wall adapter that came with the camera and fits securely when not using the official outdoor mount. However, with the outdoor mount, the circular fitting around the screw-on portion of the outdoor mount gets in the way of the cable connector so you really cannot get a secure connection. Even when I thought the plug was securely in the camera, it wasn't (camera was not charging). I really didn't want to keep trying to jam the connector into the camera at somewhat of an angle due to the circular fitting being in the way, so I just went back to battery power. I understand the design of the micro usb end of the cable and needing to make a waterproof fit with the camera, but too bad it really doesn't connect securely to the camera with the official outdoor mount"

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It might be the version of the outdoor mount since the new o e has a smaller lock knob. I don't have either the cable or mount to be able to be sure.
Pacific_NW
Tutor
Tutor
Did you screw in the mount then put in the cable or did you put on the cable then screw in the mount?

I used the cable on an ARLO Pro this weekend with the screw mount bracket and did not have this issue.
Deed
Tutor
Tutor

I got the cable and i also dont have any issues. However, it charges the unit but without battery.  With battery inside the unit, it doesnt charge. I am using 5V charger.  May be I need to use at least 7.4V charger to charge the unit with battery inside. Has anyone done this experiment?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nope, the Pro camera will only charge with a Qualcomm Quick Charge capable charger that supports 5v and 9v. 5 volts will run the camera while 9v as well as the Quick Charge capability is needed to charge.