Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How cold can these cameras endure and keep working on extreme temperatures?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice

How cold can these cameras endure and keep working

11 REPLIES 11
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @EPOC,

The minimum operating temperature for Arlo Wire-Free cameras is 14°F (-10°C), while the minimum operating temperature for Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, and Arlo Go cameras is -4°F (-20°C).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That said, the camera will turn off at -4F/-20C and will turn back on when above that temp with no reported issues.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks all!
I did see in the manual the operation temperature ..... but being somewhat a techie, I’ve learned that what it says in the manual and what’s reality are usually two different things.
So thanks all for your feed back.
Any hints about charging ......
....... like at what level I should start the charging?
Should I drain the battery completely?
How many charges do u get from these batteries before you need to buy new ones?
Peace all
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've been charging when I get the low battery warning email at ~15%. Totally discharging may cause issues with getting the battery to charge - it can be done but there's a few steps in the process. Don't forget to warm the battery some before charging if below freezing.

I don't believe anyone has hit the limit as to the number of charges yet. I would assume that the normal li-ion recharge capabilities are the same here so should last several years based on a recharge every 2-3 months.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, Very helpful information I do appreciate it.
Would you be able to tell me how to get this two way communication thing to work?
It seems that I can hear them but they really can’t hear me, regardless how I tweet my settings.
I’ve purchase the doorbell hoping I’ll have better luck .... haven’t installed it yet.
Any tips about getting the cameras communications to work n opinions on the doorbell
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have rarely used the 2-way communications except with the doorbell so can't really give advice. Make sure all firmware and the app is up to date. Use of a computer browser works better since you can control the mic gain that you can't with a mobile device. Speaking very close to the phone mic can help and it's been reported that use of a Bluetooth headset works much better, apparently due to the mic configuration. There's no settings on any phone I know of that can overcome low mic gain so other methods may be needed.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well that does hurt.
I do like the system, but without the two way communication then it’s probably gonna end up back at the store
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@EPOC wrote:
Thanks, Very helpful information I do appreciate it.
Would you be able to tell me how to get this two way communication thing to work?
It seems that I can hear them but they really can’t hear me, regardless how I tweet my settings.
I’ve purchase the doorbell hoping I’ll have better luck .... haven’t installed it yet.
Any tips about getting the cameras communications to work n opinions on the doorbell

Assuming you have it configured fine...the current app is a little tricky for two-way.  You have to start a Live View and then touch the microphone icon and wait for the "connecting" to take place.  That changes the screen (on the iOS app on my iPhone) and then you have to touch and hold the microphone icon, wait for it to turn gray and continue to hold while talking.  Then let go to listen.  And you have to allow for the latency.  There will be a two or more second delay that you have to account for during the conversation.  Like old two-way radios.  Also, the speaker on the cameras is not terribly loud, so if the camera is far away from the person and/or there is other noise, it could be hard to hear.

I have limited experience with the Doorbell in my kitchen while testing it.  It works a little quicker, but still it is not a Public Address system.  The best audio I have experienced so far is from the Nest IQ Outdoor camera.  It is powered via a long USB style cord and is fairly large by comparison.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@JessicaP wrote:

Hi @EPOC,

The minimum operating temperature for Arlo Wire-Free cameras is 14°F (-10°C), while the minimum operating temperature for Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, and Arlo Go cameras is -4°F (-20°C).

I'm pretty sure my experience has been that the original Arlo operates in temperatures that are a few degrees colder than the Pro or Pro 2.  Not much, but perhaps 2 to 4 degrees colder.  Perhaps that is different now under newer firmware.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Guru response .... “I have rarely used the 2-way communications except with the doorbell .......”
I was hoping someone’s using the Arlo Doorbell ..... please tell me about it ......
How well does the two way communication work?
The cameras communication stinks!
I’m now looking at the box to return this whole setup ..... my last resort to keep everything would be the doorbells communication ....... if it works flawlessly (meaning both ends can hear each other without yelling) ........ then I shall keep the whole system.
Please help!
Honestly without the blame game
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I recently had a 2-way conversation with my granddaughter who rang the doorbell while we were out and it worked well. I then tried to demonstrate it to another granddaughter and my wife and haqd issues getting the volume up - it eventually worked but took some time. Dunno why. Others have reported low volumes but that may be related to background noise as well as the need for a battery-operated doorbell to be able to preserve battery life (it won't be super loud).

YMMV.