Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How can I tell if the signal on the connected cameras is good?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How can I tell if the signal on the connected cameras is good?

Using web interface I see no refference and on the android app as reported on your forums under utilities the signal will show POOR no matter what.

Brand new system. shows poor even if cams rested right on base station....

makes no sense.

PLease advise. Currently debating returning this system. as I do not like that I can not tell if the cameras have a good connection, so if there is a solution please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
Those show full signal all the time no matter what. Opposite problem....

I don't see that issue.... I have some that read 2 bars and if I move them around can get it to one bar.

Best indicator I see, but they for me are def not static

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a web browser... I find it more accurate than the apps.

This is Fire Fox, live screen page, top of each cam;

Capture.JPG

Retired_Member
Not applicable

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or the signal level to each is good. It's not the use of a browser or app - it's the use of the indication in the Camera Positiong section that is faulty. What's on the Devices tab of either the browser or app is a better indication. If you need to prove it, use the app, grab a camera and start walking down the street to show how the signal degrades.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am only noticing this problem because I just bought a Brand New Arlo Pro system with 3 cams. One of my cams keeps dropping off while showing poor signal always in app and full signal always on live viiew.

I tried walking away with camera live view shows full signal untill I get far enough to go fully offline.

Both methods for WIFI signal are not good.

not impressed buying an ip camera setup for almost $800 and on day 1 a srious bug 😞

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I don't see that issue.... I have some that read 2 bars and if I move them around can get it to one bar.

Best indicator I see, but they for me are def not static

Retired_Member
Not applicable

here is a capture of mine. and like i said they stay at full even if i drive away till cam goes offline

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

BTW, these are NOT IP cameras.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I learned this after buying arlo. But shouldn't there be a way to judge signal between base and camera???

Am i asking too much?

I mean not trying to be rude but when i purchase something from Netgear for $800 and it includes parts that communicate on a wireless frequency I would of expected the bare minimum of a signal meter. I also dont understand why live feed mode has to go through vthe servers rather than the intranet. This causes alot of lag. When someone thinks of viewing a live feed from their security cam i imagine they want to see now not what happened in the past. I have a $20 ip camera that is wireless and let me tell you the arlo ive had a few days is disappointing to say the least. There is alot i like about arlo. But at this price point and these short commings i think mine is going back.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

So is there a solution for me to get my signal indicators working? I like the setup but can not stand being in the dark about signal quality.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Im so confused.

Today this started working on its own.

Thanks for trying to help guys.