Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I only receive email notifications which doesn't do any good unless your looking at your cell phone all the time. How can I receive audio notifications so that I know immediately what is going on.
23 REPLIES 23
mizebonyangel
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you have not yet downloaded the Arlo app for your phone, you should do so.  Once you have the Arlo app on your phone you should be able to go into settings and select "Notifications" so that when there is motion or activity you will receive an audible sound on your phone.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I already did that and also picked out the sound that the audio notification should make and still nothing but an email notification ... No Audio Notification
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you trying to use the Arlo app for the notifications? Do you have an Android phone? If so, do not use the Arlo app to set notifications, go through the phone Settings>apps>Arlo>notifications>notifications>sound. The first notification is more than a toggle.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your response. I did what you said and still NO audio notifications. The microphone doesn't work either even though I am using it the way it's intended. The system is useless if those things don't work. If someone was attempting to break into my home and all that I received was an email which I didn't check for an hour they would be long gone and to late to call the police.
migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
Also, be sure that push notifications is selected for each camera in rules.
Select mode, then click on your active rule. You should have the option for either/ both email and push notifications.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I followed your instructions and all 3 of my cameras has push notifications and email turned on .... Now what ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the app permissions in the phone settings and ensure everything is enabled.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Been there done that. Is there anyone out there that knows anything other than basic stuff. Problem still exists
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We likely know more than you but we need all details to try to help. Everything you've tried and what has and hasn't helped as well as error messages. Again, ALL details. We can only give generic help without it. Otherwise you're on your own.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you read the previous posts you will know what has already been tried. I really don't understand why I don't get any help from Arlo themselves after all it's their equipment that I bought. I feel that all they want to do is sell the equipment and leave the problems to others to solve. I believe my problem may stem from faulty equipment and that I should be entitled to an equipment exchange from Arlo if the solution can not be found. It shouldn't be this complicated to find out why I don't get audio notifications or get sound from the speakers when I use the microphone. Maybe there is an electronic glitch in the system or software. HELP SOMEBODY
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is your phone and OS? If you have insured your phone notifications are on for Arlo, and under phone sound (if Android) your notification sounds are at a volume you want, that if in Android under Arlo you have given permission for phone and microphone, and in Arlo app you have got your cameras checked to send push notifications under the modes you want and saved it, and have also tried setting it up in the Arlo GUI, then: Have you tried loading the app on a different phone to see what happens? Have you tried rolling back the app to a previous version to see the compatibility between your phone and the latest updated app version? https://www.apkmirror.com/post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Arlo 

The reason some of this sounds basic is because it is. Android phone: notifications for Arlo on. volume for notifications at audible level. Permissions for Arlo camera and microphone. Control sounds through phone, not app. In Arlo app push notifications checked and saved under edit modes and rules. Try set up through GUI. If none of that works, try with different phone and/or roll back the app to check phone/app compatibility.

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Try set up through Arlo GUI ? What's that ? I've done all of the other things except rolling back the update. Will try that next
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Graphic User Interface. The web based Arlo utility. https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login

If you do it on your phone you need to insure you click desktop view on Google, or otherwise it will just direct you to download the app. Straight shot on laptop. Again, if using Google, you may get a notice that your Flash is out of date. It will ask to click "here" and then ask for permission in a text box to run flash. Do that.

The web interface is essentially the same stuff, but much more stable than the app. The push notifications are by mode and rule just like the app. If everything is good here, redo it anyway and make sure you look for the "save" button. Depending on the device you are on, you may need to scroll a bit.

Honestly, I make very few changes for the Arlo itself on the phone app. I only make changes on the phone (both Arlo and phone setting for Arlo) that need to be changed there, like geofencing and phone behavior when notified. I find handling modes, rules, and schedules much easier and stable on the web UI.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@verhagen wrote:
If you read the previous posts you will know what has already been tried. 

Of the hundreds of posts I read each day, I simply can't/won't go back and read through the threads looking for specific posts by specific people to glean what may or may not be pertinent information. Reposting what you have said saves a ton of time and can lead to a resolution much faster.

As for Arlo involvement, have you opened a case with support here? This is a user forum with a few Arlo employees monitoring it during work hours, not official support.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
The AOK Mirror does not work. I never heard of going back to a previous version of an app but sure would like to my current version of Arlo is from December 2018. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netgear-inc-2/arlo/arlo-2-6-4_23200-release/#downloads

All Releases

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Joe ... Thank You for the list of past updates to the Arlo App. Is there any way that I can install the one from November on my smart phone ? I've tried but it just brings me to another page that has nothing to do with Arlo.
verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does no one have the solution as to what I can do to get AUDIO notices to my phone ? i have both options checked for email and audio notifications and all I get are email notices which really doesn't help.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe you are running into a full page ad.

Or to start fresh, on your phone https://www.apkmirror.com

Search for Arlo

Pick the release There are two different November releases.

Close the full page add if it pops up

There is a box that says see all releases. If you have already picked which November date you want (21 or 29), ignore that and keep scrolling until you get to the white box that says Download in upper right corner.  Tap on the version number.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@verhagen wrote:
Does no one have the solution as to what I can do to get AUDIO notices to my phone ? i have both options checked for email and audio notifications and all I get are email notices which really doesn't help.

Do you get the notification bar icons but no sound or no push notifications at all?

verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. I have set up the type of sound that I should receive and everything is checked off but no sound at all ... Zero Zip NADA
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Is this on recent Android? If so, use the phone settings to set it:

Phone settings, Apps, Arlo Notifications, Notifications (again), Advanced, Sound.
verhagen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with the latest addition of Android. I have set up all the settings on ....
1) The Arlo app
2) Arlo. com on line and
3) And on my phone

Still nothing. Would it help if I went and installed the OLD Arlo app from November, before certain changes were made