Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are starting to get 2 and 3 or 5 Notifications for 1 Alert and you find if you uninstall the app and reinstall it you get another one added so 5 turns into 6 notifications. youve found the solution.

Im on Android Oreo on the galaxy S9 plus but this applies to all android versions that have google back up enabled.

Here is how:

First Delete The Arlo App, then
Go into "Settings", "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and Restore",
Then down on the bottom theres a toggle thats says "automatic Restore"
Toggle that off.
Next, Click on "Google account" in the same menu
And at the top theres a toggle that says "back up to google drive". Slide it OFF
it will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup
"Confirm and delete"
Next reboot the Phone
then go back to the last slider that we turned off that said "Back up to Google Drive" and turn it back on
Then Re download the arlo app and Log back in alls well.

Hope this helps i had 5 notifications for every alert equal to the time i uninstalled and reinstalled

106 REPLIES 106
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try and set the notification sound in the app.. sounds like your almost there though.
louie022
Tutor
Tutor

I reset all of the notifications and changed the sound, etc. I am gettin email notifications, but not push.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
Good almost there. I can think of 2 things. Go into to the phone settings and make sure that arlo is allowed to display notifications. If its on, toggle it off and on anyway it may trigger it
Next possibility reboot your base or your whole wifi and everything. Wont hurt. Make sure you have push notifications on in the app too. Maybe toggle that off and on. Let us know
Your almost there
Also check IN APP to set the notification sound. Chamge it from default and make sure your volumes are all turned up too
louie022
Tutor
Tutor

Alright, just reset everything again. I think we are good to go, finally! Man what a process that was. Remind me to never re-install this app again! Thanks for your help all!

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:

Alright, just reset everything again. I think we are good to go, finally! Man what a process that was. Remind me to never re-install this app again! Thanks for your help all!

glad it finally worked. mine is running smooth as a whistle, but when it was giving me 5 sounds per alert it was a hiddeous experience lol

Jago94
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have to say, I tried this the first time and it didn't work for me, but I didn't follow the exact steps and I didn't delete the Arlo App for the first step.  After I went back and followed it EXACTLY this time, my three notifcations are down to one again.  Thank you!! 

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
No problem glad it worked for you
zsmith4
Star
Star

I've followed these instructions exactly and have done it 6 times (including letting Google back up app settings overnight with the app uninstalled). It has not fixed the issue. Now I have 8 notifications instead of 2. This is very aggravating. Arlo's entire premise behind the 'Smart' subscription was to reduce unneccessary alerts. They have failed miserably. They don't even incorporate the logic into the Modes push notifications. Does anyone else have any additional ideas on how to remove these extra notifications? When will this be fixed?

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

It took me several tries before it worked for me. Not sure what finally made it work, except I know in the last time I tried I left the app off the phone and let google do a back up over night. Just a thought, did you actually go in a check that everything backed up? It's a really frustrating app/system. It worked fine until the "smart" features which are not that smart. I still get email notifications for all events, but only push for "people". I've just accepted it and won't mess with it until they do something about it.

zsmith4
Star
Star

Yes. The 3rd-6th time, I completely uninstalled the app, made sure there were no backups in Drive, turned off the backups, rebooted, re-enabled the backup with it uninstalled, left the 'restore settings' option off and waited overnight until Google backed up the app data. All three times it did not work. It just added another notification. 

I'm a very high-end user of the Arlo cameras. I've tuned my 7 cameras to use every ounce of Arlo's functionality. I'm a little stunned they put out such a poorly thought-out solution and want to charge more for it. I had a well-oiled machine. Now I have a system that is annoying at best and unusable at worst. I'm not the kind of person who is okay with just ignoring the problems until someone gets around to fixing them when they never should have released it in the first place. I work as a mobile app developer at a household-name company. This would never fly if my group put out something this flaky and poorly designed. What is the process of getting more attention on this problem?

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with you. It's a huge problem that should have never been released as an "upgrade". It's extremely irritating when companies roll these things out, they have issues, then they just don't seem to address them. Customer support did nothing for me, so I don't know how you go about getting this issue escalated. You would think they might be in tune to their own support forums though...

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

did you make sure you deleted the app from the playstore and not from the app drawer?

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

and why not uninstall and just leave the back up settings off (for a day or 2) delete the back from google drive , reboot, and then try and reinstall? and turn the back up back on in a day or two after its fixed or right after its fixed. no need to turn it right back on before its fixed. if you mess with this it will work. its app issue with OREO android. they probably have a beta in testing now

zsmith4
Star
Star

The instructions on the thread that is marked 'solved' specifically says to uninstall it using a long-press instead of the Play Store. I followed those instructions. So no, I did not. BTW, the thread should not be marked 'solved' because Netgear/Arlo will not respond to it since it thinks it's resolved. 

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Its not marked solved as far as i know, let me look, and try with delete from playstore After you turn off back ups and delete the back up in google drive under "Backups"

zsmith4
Star
Star

I'm not sure I understand your question. That's precisely what I did three times. A better question is why I should have to wait days to see if a solution worked when the problem should never have been released in the first place. It is not an Oreo problem becuase no other app I'm aware of  has the same issue. The problem is that they are not searching the app settings database correctly (or not using an appropriate unique key) to verify that they only have one unique notification at a time. That is not Oreo, that is poor programming. 

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not wait days, just keep the back up setting off until you get it fixed. it took some of us 6 7 times to get it back to one notification, It has to do with the Restore app settings part, this worked on numerous phones if you read through you may see something that worked for another guy. alot of people had to play with this to get it to work but it will work eventually

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@zsmith4 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question. That's precisely what I did three times. A better question is why I should have to wait days to see if a solution worked when the problem should never have been released in the first place. It is not an Oreo problem becuase no other app I'm aware of  has the same issue. The problem is that they are not searching the app settings database correctly (or not using an appropriate unique key) to verify that they only have one unique notification at a time. That is not Oreo, that is poor programming. 

it is a oreo problem Microsofts app used to do it twitter did it, they had to update there apps to fix it, dont give up it will work

abgalassi
Guide
Guide
I am BEYOND frustrated. Triple notifications sometimes, but most times lately no notification at all. Want to give this a try and I am on Oreo Android but I do not have a "Cloud and Accounts" or anything that has any of those settings under it under my phone's settings. I have an Accounts, but the only option is to sync.
This is very important!!! Yesterday my dog and I were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull dog. All we have on video is the aftermath, of the dog wandering around the yard. (Not starting video is another issue we recently started having - hoping maybe this will help with that, too.) Very, very let down lately after almost a year with no issues.
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@abgalassi wrote:
I am BEYOND frustrated. Triple notifications sometimes, but most times lately no notification at all. Want to give this a try and I am on Oreo Android but I do not have a "Cloud and Accounts" or anything that has any of those settings under it under my phone's settings. I have an Accounts, but the only option is to sync.
This is very important!!! Yesterday my dog and I were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull dog. All we have on video is the aftermath, of the dog wandering around the yard. (Not starting video is another issue we recently started having - hoping maybe this will help with that, too.) Very, very let down lately after almost a year with no issues.

not sure what phone your on it,  may say "backups"  instead of cloud and accounts, or you can delete the back up from google drve. if you scroll through this thread im sure you'll figure it out.

zsmith4
Star
Star
The steps in this thread do NOT necessarily work. I've tried 8 times with no success. I now have 9 notifications for each alert. So be aware that you may make things worse
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@zsmith4 wrote:
The steps in this thread do NOT necessarily work. I've tried 8 times with no success. I now have 9 notifications for each alert. So be aware that you may make things worse

Most people have done the same thing before they got it fixed, if you read through the thread youll see there are a few ways to do it, one way is to wait 4 hours (with your phone on wifi and charging) after deleting the arlo app and the backup out of google drive, this allows google to do a new back up without the app and settings. you will figure it out i have faith. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I have found a slightly different way to fix this in case people are interested

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I have found a slightly different way to fix this if people still need help

zsmith4
Star
Star
Interested in knowing the exact details. After countless hours of trying to fix it, I've given up. I'm waiting for Arlo to send out a fix, assuming they will