Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Higher resolution and ability to trigger zone? How large is the plug? How is it in winter? etc.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jeflsdean84
Follower
Follower

Hello, I’m considering purchasing an Arlo Pro kit (2 cameras + hub) and looking for a few answers first. My goal is to have reliable video surveillance in case it’s ever needed while avoiding monthly subscriptions.

1. from what I gather in my research, the main differences between Pro and Pro 2 are higher resolution and ability to set trigger zones. Is this correct? While the zones is a nice to have I figure I can get away with the cheaper Pro version.

2. How large is the plug for the cameras? I have an old home and only one outdoor outlet, I plan to have these plugged in all the time to avoid having to change the batteries regularly. Does the plug have a large transformer or is it a small plug so I can easily fit two in one outlet?

3. How does it hold up in winter? In Ontario Canada, it gets quite cold in winter months.

4. Is this setup worth it if I’m not paying for cloud service/using the battery, or should I be looking at another product that is simpler to fit my needs? (In other words does anyone here use it plugged in and without a paid subscription and find it suits their needs?)

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Higher resolution, yes, zones, no. Zones require either AC power to be applied or a Smart subscription.

2) The outdoor AC adapter has a fairly large transformer case so you may have to do what I did - cobble a weatherproof quad outlet housing over the existing outlet. I then used an adapter for extra outlets to get power to multiple plugs. It's ugly inside the cover but you can't tell from the outside.

3)Rochester, NY, across the big lake from you with no problems. Be aware that charging stops at 0C and the camera shuts down at -20C for protection. However, at least one person has noted that removing the battery and using only AC power allows it to work below -20C. YMMV.

4) Since all that was available for the first years was the free 7 day, 5 camera plan, it works fine without a subscription.