Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
babyduke
Star
Star

Lately it takes well over 2minutes for the video to load after a movement's been detected.  I've had this issue before and it got fixed after I shortened the recording time to under 15secs and lowered the video quality.   Settings have not changed since and I've emptied the library.  I also tried unplugging the base unit. Yet it still takes a long time.

Any suggestions on how to improve this?  Arlo Live Chat support has been MIA.

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Given the efforts you've used to fix the issue (reduced recording time and resolution), it sounds like you have an Internet speed issue. Use speedtest.net and report both upload and download speeds here.

babyduke
Star
Star

It can't be the internet speed.  This delay began just a few days ago and there has not been any changes in our internet.  I am not able to do the speed test at the moment but as of yesterday, the download speed was around 210 mbps.  I don't remember the upload speed.  I believe it was around 27mbps.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's plenty of bandwidth. Unfortunately, anything between your base and the Arlo servers can be at fault, especially in these times of high home usage (could be swamping your ISP's capabilities). Something to try is to use a command window on a computer and type the following:

tracert.exe arlo.com

This assumes a Windows PC - other OSes use traceroute rather than tracert.exe.

What you don't want to see are any 3 digit numbers in the results - that means there's real lag in the access.

I find it interesting that my results vary not only from the past (which showed that Amazon Web Services (AWS) servers were being used compared to the current use of Cloudflare) but also varied as to whether I traced arlo.com vs. my.arlo.com. I'm not a network expert so can only guess as to the meaning of any of this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@babyduke wrote:

I don't remember the upload speed.  I believe it was around 27mbps.

The upload speed would be the more important factor here, so it would be good to test it.

Though I suspect the lag is more likely in the Arlo cloud.  Are you using cloud activity zones?

babyduke
Star
Star

Download 237mbps/Upload 12.1mbps

Sorry, I don't understand your question about using cloud activity zone.  I'm using my iphone arlo app.

CGLeonard
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same video load issue that started around the beginning of May or possibly in April. 

Have Gigabit Internet with verified Upload and Download speed averaging 700MB both directions with a Latency of 2-8ms.

Has something changed on the Arlo servers or the Arlo iphone app?

It is very slow compared to months ago.

babyduke
Star
Star

There has been no change in server or the app.  Slow down just happened one day.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey babyduke and CGLeonard,

Is this happening when you're trying on cellular data and/or WiFi? 

babyduke
Star
Star

Wi-fi

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're able to load the video through cellular data just fine, you might need to check your router. A possible reboot on the router might fix it.

Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link

babyduke
Star
Star

I've rebooted the router, rebooted the Arlo base unit.  Neither helped.   I'm losing faith in Arlo products plus the customer service isn't even available.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather some information from you.

birdieboy
Guide
Guide

I have been having the same issue for the last few months.  I get a notification of movement from one of the cameras and it takes 2-3 minutes to load into the library.  Even trying to access that cameras takes a long time.   I have checked all the settings, reset the router & base station and off loaded the app. ( badges under notifications if on).  I have reached out to Arlo customer service and after doing everything on their standard list, which is all things I have already done, they have no idea.  Since it isn't just me with the problem, Arlo had to changed something in the software that is causing this problem.  

This started about April before that we never had a problem with video loading into the library .

Drydry81
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello,

I have the same issues as you guys.
It started around April.
My ISP (fiber) has a download of 1gbs and upload 500mbs which is more than enough.

I'm connecting my Arlo Q Plus with Ethernet adapter to have best performances.

Unfortunately, if the video is set to 1080, I have a huge delay of 45s plus live stream is not continuous.
If I set up the resolution to 720p, the lag is about 5s.

Before April I had no issues at all with 1080p video resolution.

I have the same lags if I use phone, computer and if I use 4G data, wifi and ethernet.

I suspect an issue with arlo servers.

What can you do to help us?