Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Has netgear discountiued the Arlo Outdoor Camera Power Adapter for Arlo Pro?

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
bigtailbear
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had one already, but need to get an extra. I cannot find it anywhere now... ordered one from FRY'S but it is in backorder status forever. Just checked the official website. It is not listed.  any issue with the power adapter? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The VMA4700-100NAS Outdoor Power Adapter is being recalled by NETGEAR.  Those affected customers can return the adapter for a refund and will need to register by submitting a VMA4700 Recall Form. Once you have registered for the recall, you will receive further instructions.  Please DO NOT return your product to your retailer.

JamesC

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been pulled due to some units leaking water around the camera connection, creating corrosion and, in some cases, causing an overheating issue. Haven't heard about a re-release yet.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Any word on what happens to those already in use? Mine seems fine but if prone to fire then NG has the responsiblity of providing a remedy. They can't just warn and think their liablity ends there. Trust me if there is a fire they will be sued.

Also NG has failed after many months to address the ticking issue with the outdoor adaptors. People have posted here. Was acknowledged by the moderator as if it were a new issue. Appeared aloof to the problem but search of the board reveals the same moderator had already discussed the issue with other people months earlier.

Frankly my cams work fine but NG IMO is a very flaky company. Releasing products prematurely, some which embellish the actual feature set and support which at least at level 1 which is straight up lame.

I want answers and Im not gonna waste hours calling into tech support who only reads from a script. No one has time to deal with that.

NG post your answers here for the legal record. 

Apprentice
Apprentice

Am waiting for a legal response. How can NG sell a product that is prone to ignite, tell customers after complaints become public, finally come clean but then stick its head in the sand when customers ask what to do next? Should we be receiving RMA boxes to return it for a new model or refund? In the interim, if my house catches fire IMO NG's lack of response means it has accepted liability.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Looks like Wasserstein’s outdoor power adapter/cable for Arlo is still being sold and they claim is “completely weatherproof”. Wonder what is different about their product. Different engineering probably........

Apprentice
Apprentice

IMO Wassterstein products are interlopers. Not better engineering. Just smaller installed user base thus smaller number of complaints. Get out of here with your shameless endorsement. Are you an employee of Wasserstein? 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

96708 wrote:

IMO Wassterstein products are interlopers. Not better engineering. Just smaller installed user base thus smaller number of complaints. Get out of here with your shameless endorsement. Are you an employee of Wasserstein? 

Don’t really know what to say to you, it’s often wise to ignore idiots and maybe I should’ve done that. Products from other companies are at times mentioned around here, from batteries to protective skins to even other names in the security cameras market. I guess it never was a problem until now. Mine was a simple question, since you can’t answer it, just read on and move on.

bigtailbear
Aspirant
Aspirant

I won't recommend the 3rd party accessories...(Better check the reviews on Amazon, they do not have very solid reviews as well)  Although the brand name sounds like Germany company, I am pretty sure it's from China. Be aware, any issue with 3rd party accessories will void your warranty. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

How is my post taken as “recommending” anybody’s accessories? It was a question, about how there might be a difference in the product engineering, since similar item from third party is still out there on the market while Arlo’s was removed due to potential weatherproofing problem. Who said anything about a “better engineering”?

It’s a pure and simple open for discussion topic, since many around here are asking  about the power adapter and lack of any status update.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

bigtailbear wrote:

I won't recommend the 3rd party accessories...(Better check the reviews on Amazon, they do not have very solid reviews as well)  Although the brand name sounds like Germany company, I am pretty sure it's from China. Be aware, any issue with 3rd party accessories will void your warranty. 

......and btw my only third party accessories used (god forbid no name mention) are rechargeable batteries for original Arlo cams. But thanks for the warning.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Wasserstein products are just cheap knockoffs of the real thing IMO. And NO Wassertein is not a German company. They are interlopers as Netgear has no patents on their accessories. Anything "stein" is far from German. If you had said Israeli it would make more sense. More like American Jew not some Mercedes like engineering precision IMO. Regardless they just market cheap copies of the real things. Nothing wrong with made in China as everything else is but the Arlo is made in Vietnam.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Can we get an update on

1) IFTT - what is status and what has been cause of delay?

2) Outdoor AC charger - what is status for customers who have installed this? NG recalled them from the retail channel but the installed user base is waiting for word on how you plan to handle this. What is cause of delay? If you deem it unsafe to sell, why is it OK for customers who have installed it to continue using it? If it is not OK, then why don't you take responsiblity and issue a recall? What is holding you up? Frankly from a distaster management standpont, one house tourched due to your procuct will sink your product line and company. So only a fool would sit idle like NG is doing and leave customers hanging because anyone would agree NG is at fault. Can we get an answer? 

glmccready
Guide
Guide

I bought 2 Wasserstien outdoor Weatherproof Outdoor Quick Charge 3.0 Power Adapters, for $38 ($19 EACH), last week (already charged).  They sent me an email, a few days later saying they were out of stock, and would be sent this week.  They then canceled my order, without any input from me.  NOW they are $28  each, $10 more.  Not sure I'd trust them anymore, who pulls that kind of stunt?  I think I'll just use the Netgear adapter and my trusty 3M 2228 rubber tape, and maybe even some Liquid tape on top.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The VMA4700-100NAS Outdoor Power Adapter is being recalled by NETGEAR.  Those affected customers can return the adapter for a refund and will need to register by submitting a VMA4700 Recall Form. Once you have registered for the recall, you will receive further instructions.  Please DO NOT return your product to your retailer.

JamesC

Apprentice
Apprentice

So does NG have a replacement product? IF we return it we will have no outdoor charger.

glmccready
Guide
Guide

RE: Wasserstein canceling my order, direct on thier website, and reorder was $10 more..each. Wasserstein ended up contacting me, and said they had an internal server error, and sent me two weather proof cables for FREE.  I'll do an update in a few weeks, to let you know how they stand up.  Some people complined they didn't seat well, but the one I've installed so far, in place of my Netgear recalled one, seems fine.  One of the resons I got the Arlo Pro was so I could plug it on and not have to worry about going up and down the ladder too much.

Apprentice
Apprentice

They contacted you to blunt your complaint and to promote themselves. You took the bait hook line and sinker IMO. IMO due to the smaller installed base it has not proven their parts are more reliable than NGs.