Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
davidhu15
Follower
Follower

I recently bought 6 arlo pro cameras. I noticed that the surface of the motion sensor (the area below the lens) is very easy to get scraches. I was trying to clean the motion sensor area by using a tissue, I swear I used very light strength. Then the area was full of fine scraches afterwards. I tried the other 5 cameras, I used my nail to give this area the lightest touch. The fine scraches appeared, too. 

As a weather proof and out door camera, it is not supposed to be so vulnerable. And i'm not sure the fine scratches will affect the normal function of the motion sensor.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to be funny but was the plastic protection film removed....

As to scratches, I actually just wipe the camera front on what ever shirt I'm wearing to clean same....ill have to take a good look. Don't think the fine scratches will effect anything tho btw.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I noticed it when I first deployed my cameras 6 months ago. Even a clean microfiber cloth will produce super fine marks. It should not affect the sensor.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Not to be funny but was the plastic protection film removed....

As to scratches, I actually just wipe the camera front on what ever shirt I'm wearing to clean same....ill have to take a good look. Don't think the fine scratches will effect anything tho btw.

Same here Tom,

noticed very fine lines (look like scratches) right across the sensor cover, only saw them about a month after I got the camera. Absolutely no effect on motion detection.

Paul

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jcwrks wrote:

Yes, I noticed it when I first deployed my cameras 6 months ago. Even a clean microfiber cloth will produce super fine marks. It should not affect the sensor.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure what happened to my post. Noticed the same today on 1 week old cams. Even wiping it lightly with your finger will leave a light scratch. I used a $40 clean microfiber normally used on my $1,500 portable workstation laptop screen and it leaves scratches. Netgear needs to stop using the cheap plastic IMO to try to simulate a glass look when it isn't.

I took a flashlight to the black plastic and you can see scatches from something as simple as putting on a Netgear skin when the camera is still brand new.

Marichan
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's what I was wondering is there a film plastic protecting the sensor that I'm suppose to remove. It had light scratches on it when I opened it I removed the protective covering on the camera parts I didn't want to pick at the part covering the sensor incase there wasn't any film and damage it. Guess my question is there a practice film I'm suppose to remove. It doesn't pick up the full range of monitor sensor that it's suppose to . Only when I'm 6' away it picks up and yes we adjusted the range and all that other stuff . Thank you
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's a very soft plastic covering the IR illuminator LEDs and the motion sensor, which is on the bottom part. The lens in the middle should be glass IMO. Even the best microfiber cloth will scratch the plastic as will your fingers. Best not to touch it. You can leave the film on but it could limit the motion sensitivity. Basically, there is nothing you can do. Maybe cut to shape some Saran wrap and cover it if you have removed but again this could affect the PIR motion sensitivity.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Up the motion sensitivity to 100%.  Angle the cam so you walk across the area you want to pick up. The range is 20 plus feet maybe more IMO.