Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing

Discussion stats
Jbcspoony
Tutor
Tutor
Does anyone know when the geofencing is going to be fixed? It does not work for either of my phones. I called support about 2 months ago. All they told me is that many people were having this problem, and they were working to fix it. It is still not working. Is there na ETA on this fix?
23 REPLIES 23
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

what phones , what OS?

I've used it with one phone with good results ( android S7/os7 ), tho I do see most issues seems to come up with multi phones.

Second issues are prob phones shutting down to help battery life re apps in background/gps/etc

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jbcspoony
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for your reply. I do have two phones attempting to work with it. Both phone have the location service set to always on for the arlo app. Even when in the app, my phone is identified as out of the zone even though it shows my location in the zone on the map. My wife's phone is just coming up as unavailable all together.
Jbcspoony
Tutor
Tutor
We both have iPhones 6s. iOS 10.33.
Conrod
Aspirant
Aspirant

have android LG Aristo with android - leave zone says disarmed b/c no internet connection. when at home shows disarmed as it should

Patrik_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have a Samsung S8 and Geofencing is never a selecteble choice, the location is always on!
useless .. been like this from I bought the system 4 month ago, no update no fix ... 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you seem to be the only one with this issue, it's something about your device or software installation.  Have you reinstalled the app?  I suppose it's an issue with the specific device and/or OS.  Rather than not being able to use the feature, have you opened a case with support?  If they don't know about it, it might never get fixed.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

If you are at home on your local WiFi connection it will not work. It only works with your phones data connection which for me makes it useless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Huh?  That makes no sense. What device/OS?

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat wrote:

Huh?  That makes no sense. What device/OS?

Android v 7.0

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't mention the device. However, something is off if this is happening, seemingly only to you. No idea why there's a difference between cell and WiFi connections. Might somehow be phone settings or the app needs to be reinstalled along with a phone reboot. Open a case with support.

Eallen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also am having trouble with geofencing. I have two cell phones that are attached to the account. It was working perfectly including over WiFi. My husband recently got a new cell phone with the same cell number and now it says his cell is unavailable. I contacted technical support and they were unable to fix it. This is some what frustrating because I had it set up so I never had to go in to the app to change the mode. It switched modes at the times I programmed them. I am hoping they can get geofencing working properly in the near future.
joefan
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue running iso11 on my phone.  Just got arlo.  Geofence settings will not SAVE on my phone.  When I hit save after going through the setup, it confirms that geofencing is ready for my base station, but when I select geofence in the mode menu, it asks me to set it up again.  So it is not actually saving my set up.

Then I added my wife's phone to the account.  I can set up geofence for us and it saves now.  But the geofence only recognizes when she is in or out of the house.  Right now, I am home and she is out of the house.  When I go to the geofence settings, it will show that she is away and my phone is "unavailabe."  

jalfano
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish you would stop saying the geofencing problem is happening "only with you." Clearly many people have exactly the same problem, including me. 

joefan
Guide
Guide

Jbcspoony wrote:
"...My wife's phone is just coming up as unavailable all together."

I fixed my geofence problem by changing the name of my iphone, because the name was incompatible with the Arlo App.  My iphone's name (which can be changed under "Settings, General, About") was "Joseph's iphone 6 plus."  I changed it to "Joesiphone6plus"  Basically, I made it shorter, removed the appostrophy, and removed the spaces.  Geofenceing works now.

Before, with my original name, I was unable to save the geofence settings for my phone.  When I added by wife's phone (which is just named "iphone") I could save the settings, but the app showed my phone as "unavailable."  So the geofencing was only recognizing my wife's phone.

Also, in the many times that I was trying to save the settings I saw an error that read something like: "...32 characters...no special characters..." etc.  But the error did not specify a problem with the name of my phone.  And because the error did not appear each time I tried to save the geofence settings, I thought it was a glitch and ignored it.  Once I got my wife's phone working I just kinda figured out that the error was in reference to my phone's name.  I changed the name, and it all works now.

1234camera
Aspirant
Aspirant

this works, I took the apostrophe out of my phone's name and geofencing works fine. 

jalfano
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many others have suggested changing the phone's name to something short without any spaces or special characters. Some claim to have success with this, but it has not worked for me. Netgear clearly has not fixed its many geofencing problems. What are they waiting for?

myronlh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your post,  I changed my iphone name and I finally got geofence working.  I never would have guessed that was the problem

DaGooseMon
Guide
Guide

Changing the name on my phone resolved this issue for me.  Goose's iPhone 8 was causing the problem.  Changed it to GoosesiPhone8 and disabled all devices then re-enabled all devices and I'm all set.  Oddly,  my wife's phone, Dana's iPhone wasn't a problem.  Must have been the two spaces in my original phone name. 

kxavier_23
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you using the same account on both devices, or the, "Granted Access," user on the second device?

When I log into the second device with the same account, go to geofencing --> Devices, I see the second device show up for a split second, then dissappear.

Thanks.

joefan
Guide
Guide
Grant Access
Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo supports IFTTT so you can use third party geo-fencing apps like life 360. It's more accurate with more customisation and lower power usage. Not to mention it's logging functionality means you can cross reference geolocations with arming and disabling.
Anne70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I had same issue, geofencing was on, and I left for work, my bf was at home and the system went to 'Armed'. 

I changed both our iPhones names, removed the 's and the spaces, and now it works fine!

Note that _after_ I corrected our iPhones names, I had to remove my bf from my Arlo app completely. Then we restarted his phone and I granted him access again. Then I added him again to Geofencing. I tested by leaving home with my iPhone while he stayed, and this time, finally, our Arlo system stayed on 'Disarmed'. 

So thank you for taking the time to tell us what to do! 

Cheers

Anne 

MissManders1028
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was also having some issues using the geofencing option because of a secondary phone.  I've downloaded the Life360 & IFTTT apps but it's still not working.  It's almost like Arlo's controls are over-ruling the IFTTT applettes.  What setting does Arlo need to be on for the IFTTT app to run correctly (Armed, Disarmed, Scheduled or Geofencing)?