Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
browerjs
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of a sudden, after working 9 months perfectly, Geofencing on my Arlo Pro system has stopped working.  When I go into the settings the phones are reporting the wrong status, and i have to toggle them on/off to get it to start working.  I have two iphones setup for geofencing.  Any ideas of what I can do to get this working to how it was in the past?

66 REPLIES 66
strider427
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here using an Iphone 6S.

It looks like there was a moderator response here to an Android user having a somewhat similar issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Android-and-geofencing-compared-to-Iphone-Geofencing-and-g...

I can only hope they are looking at this from all angles as it appears to not be isolated to one particular mobile OS.

butlergum
Guide
Guide

Hi there,

i´m facing the same trouble. Arlo doesnt switch into Away Mode anymore when leaving home.

Havin this issue since 2 or 3 days... Netgear having server trouble?

Finestudio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ma having same problem - Came about several days ago and have not been able to solve.  Think there was some kind of "software and or firmware " update completed by Netgear.  Chatted with Tech Support - I am the only case...wish someone would be truthful and realistic about this stuff

browerjs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.  I think I started seeing this issue about a week ago.  Never had a problem in 9-10 months of owning the system prior to this.

SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having this issue and found this work-a-round on another thread.

If you install the IFTT app on your phone, you can use the Arlo applets for entering and exiting an area to arm/disarm Arlo.   The only downside is that the only Mode you can use is Armed - you can't select which one you'd like it to use.  The applets say they are for iOS but I've used them successfully on my Android Samsung S6.

It's not a fix for the Arlo app, but it's a useable work-a-round.

browerjs
Apprentice
Apprentice

@SallyCwrote:

I am also having this issue and found this work-a-round on another thread.

If you install the IFTT app on your phone, you can use the Arlo applets for entering and exiting an area to arm/disarm Arlo.   The only downside is that the only Mode you can use is Armed - you can't select which one you'd like it to use.  The applets say they are for iOS but I've used them successfully on my Android Samsung S6.

It's not a fix for the Arlo app, but it's a useable work-a-round.

I was thinking about using SmartThings Prescence if it doesn't get fixed in the next week or two.  I just really don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up, if it will be fixed in the short-term.

SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

@browerjswrote:

inking about using SmartThings Prescence if it doesn't get fixed in the next week or two.  I just really don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up, if it will be fixed in the short-term.

I don't know about SmartThings, but this was super easy! You install the IFTT app, then Search for IFTT's Arlo applets, give them permission to access your Arlo account, and turn them on. 

You can even have them send you a notice each time they activate (enter/leave an area), if you want.  

There actually are some other cool IFTT applets - I found some others to turn on as well. 🙂

theomega
Star
Star

Exact same issue, geofencing has been working pretty well with our two iphones, and then starting few days ago the phone locations have not been updating. 

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps, and double checking all backgound update and locatoin services settings to be always on.

theomega
Star
Star

I contacted Arlo chat support, and they advised that this is a known issue that should be resolved with an app update, which should hopefully come out within a day or so.

jeninaf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Whew I though it was just our system, thanks for the update!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

JamesC

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Geofencing is broken for me also on Android.
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having used IFTTT with the Arlo applets for a week or two now, I don't think I'll go back to using the Arlo app by itself for geofencing again.  The IFTTT solution not only consistently knows when I'm in the defined area or out of it, it also doesn't "misfire" (as my Arlo app often did) and fail to arm the cameras, even when it knew I was out of the area.

I'm a bit of a broken record on this, but if you can be happy with the Armed mode (IFTTT currently doesn't you select a custom Mode), using IFTTT with their arm/disarm applets by Arlo is a really surefire way to have geofencing working again.

Nichole4FSU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having exact same issuew with Geofencing not working suddenly. I have two iPhone 7+ integrated with our system. I have 6 Arlo pro cameras and 2 base stations. Based on size of house and placement of cams (all outdoor), 3 cameras are linked to each base station. Everything was fine with Geofencing working perfectly, but now the system never recognizes when I leave the area. The really strange thing is, I am the account administrator and my phone has worked fine since day one. Now? It constantly shows me at home. All my settings are correct, location is active all the time, app background refresh is on, etc. The latest update really messed a lot fo things up, including the app which routinely doens't connect to system anymore. Lots of spinning wheels, the live feed blacking out, and overall very very poor performance. I have a solar panel that does not work at all, constant charging error despite follwoing all the recommended steps, 1 camera constantly says there is motion at night (there isn't) so I have alerts pinging all night for nothing, to another camera that doesn't seem to pick up motion at all anymore. So frustrated by this entire system. If i had to do it all over again, I wouldn't run fast and far away from it.

Nichole4FSU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for this work around. I can't help but be so extremely frustrated that we, as Netgear customers, are the ones left looking for work arounds. Terrible technical assistance and customer service on the part of Netgear, quite honestly. None of us should be looking for patches when we've paid a good amount of money for a product that routinely doesn't deliver.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try running Google maps, then click the blue circle to locate you. Once done, jump to the Arlo app and see if it knows your (geo) location. That's not a fix but a pointer. See what happens when you do that. That makes Arlo realise the correct location/setting for me.
Tegnelia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very frustrated with the Arlo geofencing with my iPhone 7. I have other applications that Use geofencing and have been running fine. Only the Arlo application is having issues. I wish we had the ability to remove older devices from the geofencing list. Both my phone and my wife’s phone is listed as “iPhone”. Can’t we rename these devices as well as delete older devices?
theomega
Star
Star

Still no Arlo app update in iOS app store, and geofencing is still broken. I know app releases take time but I'm just a little disappointed since chat support told me it would only take about a day (4 days ago), and there haven't been any announcements from Netgear.

I do think its cool that the community is providing alternatives, doesnt work for me personally though since I have multi user and use custom geofencing profiles. 

jeninaf
Aspirant
Aspirant
You. can rename the iPhone by going to Settings—->General—->About. I’m not sure about deleting the old devices though.
RangeWolf
Star
Star

Add me to the list. For me it's not just geofencing that's broken. It broke "Home Mode" in geofencing where I have setup a schedule. The schedule doesn't work even when geofencing is on and showing I'm at home. It's unbelievable that Netgear cannot solve this problem quickly. Is there zero regression testing at Netgear?

DanO16
Tutor
Tutor
Add me to the list, also. Geofencing was working well with 2.4.6 on my two iPhones, but stopped working when I upgraded to 2.4.7. Is there any way I can downgrade to 2.4.6 while we wait for a fix?
I see a lot of new negative reviews on the Apple app store with people complaining bitterly about this.
enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice

OMG! This is so irritating. Okay, I'm no coder but seriously, if IFTTT and Stringify work just fine with Geofencing, why can't Netgear just impliment the code? Isn't it open-source? Also, why can't Netgear just go back and figure out what's different about 2.4.6. - Sorry for the rant everyone, but Netgear, LISTEN and ACT -

For everyone else, I wanted to point out that I noticed an Arlo (Android) app update was pushed out on the 26th March 2018, version 2.4.10_20077. Geofencing is STILL broken on this version. IFTTT and Stringify are NOT solutions to this problem for some customers who bought the unit so they could use custom modes. If I wanted to use it as a "arm" "disarm" only system, I'd have bought other products from other brands.

Hey Netgear - here's an idea (already on the Ideas Exchange), detect wifi networks as a failsafe for arm and disarm. Of course you'd need to consider the possibility that wifi drops out or may be reset on occasion (maybe for arming, have a notification come up with a override button and a timed countdown).

Nichole4FSU
Aspirant
Aspirant
EnjoyChewy is my hero. 1000x over, everything you just said.
theomega
Star
Star
Can we please get an update from Netgear? As mentioned by others geofencing is a critical feature. I would not have bought and recommended Arlo to all my friends without the geofencing feature set.

Is this issue even being worked on? The previous mention of the recent Android update not fixing geofencing is really worrisome.