Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am I being stupid? Every time I try to set up geofencing and go to save, an error appears in an orange box stating ‘Input must be 32 characters long and should not contain any forward slash’. What does this mean? And what do I need to do to allow set up to save?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

Do you have any special characters in your address (a "/" will cause this error, if your specific address contains a "/" try and get as close as possible, this should still work given the size of the location radius)? If so, try entering the address without the special characters and see if you still get the same error.

JamesC

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

This is likely an issue with special characters in your iphone's name. The default name generally contains an apostrophe (JamesC's Iphone). Change this to something without special characters (JamesCIphone) and try going through geofencing setup again.

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James

I really appreciate the reply & your suggestion seemed very plausible. Just tried it & rebooted phone but exactly the same error occurring.

Any other thoughts?

Regards, Steve (Kingof66)

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

What is your iphone's name?

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James

Steveiphone6s
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

Strange, this has worked so far for many users. Try reinstalling the app now that you have changed the name.

Do you still get the same error message when attempting to setup Geofencing?

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James.

Thanks once again for your reply. Deleted app, rebooted iPhone & tried to install geofencing again. Same error still
Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still no joy with setting up geofencing. Has anybody else had this problem. Very frustrating!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

At what point in the setup are you seeing the error message? Can you provide a screenshot?

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James
Immediately after pressing SAVE. The very last step
Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
File attached.
compcare
Aspirant
Aspirant

I HAVE THE SAME ANNOYING STUPID PROBLEM! i get that error when i tried making my account through the phone app, then i used a pc to make the account, and that worked, but after i log in with that account on the phone app, it won't let me pass the "Service "Agreement" so when i click "I AGREE" to the service agreement and finish my account setup i get that stupid 32 character error

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m pleased I’m not alone at least. It’s a very odd problem that not everyone seems to have!
Anybody else out there managed to solve this one?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

compcare, Kingof66

What iOS version and model iOS device do you have?

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. JamesC. I have a 6s and it’s up to date with 11.1.1
heisian
Guide
Guide

James C, How many threads have I found with users with this same problem? This is ridiculous. Please get this fixed.

heisian
Guide
Guide

Everyone, here are several related threads:

It seems pretty obvious that at this point NETGEAR has no desire to solve this issue that is being experienced by many, many users. James C, can we GET THIS FIXED?

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi JamesC
Are there any other ideas on this? I have changed batteries too many times because I have to remember to manually turn on & off (& I dont) as geofencing doesn’t work.
It works perfectly with my Canary. I’m seriously thinking of scrapping the Arlo system now.
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

@heisian Thank you for being a part of our Community! I just wanted to take a moment to assure you that Arlo's engineering team is aware of the reported issues with geofencing, and they are actively investigating and working on a resolution. 

Dawn Marshall
Community Manager, NETGEAR

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you DawnM.

How long has this issue been around? Sounds like a very long time. When do you expect resolution. It doesn’t sound like it is being given an appropriate priority.
heisian
Guide
Guide
I’ve had my setup for around 2-3 months.. guessing from other posts the issue may have been around for 6 months or even since the beginning of the Arlo app’s inception. It doesn’t seem like any priority is being given to this at all.
Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Heisian

Have you had any joy at all setting up geofencing? Or are you having the same issue?
I can’t even set it up due to an error
Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has there been any progress on this. Just tried one last time.
Same error STILL. There is a fundamental flaw with ARLO. Time to start returning them.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kingof66,

Do you have any special characters in your address (a "/" will cause this error, if your specific address contains a "/" try and get as close as possible, this should still work given the size of the location radius)? If so, try entering the address without the special characters and see if you still get the same error.

JamesC

Kingof66
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you JamesC. The location finder selected my address as number 2-8. I moved the finder compass until just 8 was selected and geofencing now works. It seems the ‘-‘ in the address (not entered by myself) was enough to cause this error!