Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

GeoFencing has stopped switching from home to away when my wife and myself leave. IOS 16

Discussion stats
  • 70 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
notrabbi5
Guide
Guide

My wife is on IOS 15.6 and I am on IOS 16. We both have the most updated arlo app. The only cause I have been able to come up with is that it has stopped switching between home and away mode automatically (based on our locations) since I upgraded to IOS 16. The app still knows where both of us are however the mode doesn't switch between home and away as it had been doing previously and just stays on the mode it is set on (or scheduled to be on). Arlo is there a solution or fix for this?

70 REPLIES 70
Retired_Member
Not applicable

same problem here i am experiencing it started a bunch of updates ago of arlo app. we get logged out of the app a couple of times a month and this is not noticeable until you start the app yourself. regarding geofencing, it was previously also with the same problem so that whoever was logged out was counted as outside the geofencing (which is logical), it also created a lot of problems with incorrect detections when we were actually at home... but now it's even worse. Now, for example, the wife may have been logged out of the app and we are both away from home, but the system thinks that the wife's mobile is at home, so it gets unsigned. if you don't pay attention to it yourself, it can go on for as long as possible and thus a COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY SYSTEM that does not fulfill its purpose!! It has been this long and completely sick that Arlo doesn't have a big issue with it. the support notes ovh does not understand the sllvar in it, quite sure that the information does not get to the right person and development...

Arlo Pro 3 #support #arlo #issue

Dannybear
Master
Master

I recall reading that a user @trebor711 was having issues with the geofencing not selecting the correct mode when using schedule.

He said that he had found one of his modes had been corrupted and had to delete and rebuild it to get it working.

trebor711
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you @Dannybear for that mention. 

What I would suggest is to check your Schedule settings first using your computer's web browser and not on your phone.  If you use any custom modes, just delete them and redo your schedule. Your custom modes won't change and this shouldn't take long. Then, check each effected phone's Geofencing settings and redo if necessary. Log all devices out and then relog back in. Hopefully that will solve your problem. That's what worked for me. 

trebor711
Luminary
Luminary

I would also check your location settings. Make sure your location is on and give the Arlo app permission to use your location all the time and not just when using the app. Hope this helps. 

notrabbi5
Guide
Guide

Location is on always on both our apps. I just rebuilt the schedule as stated. Logged out of both and logged back in and restarted the base. We will see if it figures it out now.....

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I've searched around and ultimately, all the responses point to creating a new mode, but that doesn't seem to work.

I'd like all the cameras to arm while I'm away and off if I'm home vie Geofence. If I'm home, I'd like all the cameras to arm/disarm at specific times.

I have both Geofence and schedule set up, but they don't seem to work together. 

They arm/disarm just fine with Geofence but don't arm at the scheduled time.

I have tried to create a new mode, but the only option after selecting "new mode" is "when motion is detected..." There isn't anything about schedules.

When I'm under the Geofence settings, I have away mode set to armed, and home mode set to scheduled, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas?

Dannybear
Master
Master

The schedule is a mode function where you can choose what modes you want during the day night over a week.

Look in the mode list for schedule and select the edit pencil icon to edit.

Select Add and customise by selecting what mode or custom mode you want, select the required days and the time period.

Note that you are not able to schedule a mode past midnight so if you want the mode to crossover then you will need to end at 1159pm and add a new mode event to begin at 1200am.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

When I'm under the Geofence settings, I have away mode set to armed, and home mode set to scheduled, but that doesn't seem to be working.

FWIW, that is the right way to combine them.

@Jo060 wrote:

I'd like all the cameras to arm while I'm away and off if I'm home vie Geofence. If I'm home, I'd like all the cameras to arm/disarm at specific times.

They arm/disarm just fine with Geofence but don't arm at the scheduled time.

I have tried to create a new mode, but the only option after selecting "new mode" is "when motion is detected..." There isn't anything about schedules.

I am thinking that the issue is that you don't understand how to get the schedule to arm cameras at different times (instead of arming them all together).

Is that correct?

The schedule changes modes, it doesn't actually schedule individual cameras.  If you want cameras 1 and 2 to arm at a given time, but want camera 3 to be disarmed, then you have to create a custom mode that includes rules for camera 1 and camera 2, but not camera 3.  Then you schedule that mode at the time you want that combination.

Custom modes don't refer to the schedule, it is the other way around.  The schedule uses the custom modes.

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB

I'm fine with them arming all at the same time. My issue is it just doesn't arm all all when coupled with geofencing. 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

@Dannybear

My issue isn't with how to create a schedule. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

I'm fine with them arming all at the same time. My issue is it just doesn't arm all all when coupled with geofencing. 

Your configuration appears correct - geofencing switching to scheduled when you are home, and armed when you are away.

I suggest turning on the location in/out notifications, so you will be alerted when the system detects transitions from home->away and vice versa.  With iOS you do that in the Apple settings for the app (you won't see if you just go into settings from the app itself).

Though your symptoms suggest something else if going on (since the cameras should arm on schedule when home, and always be armed when away).

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I'm getting geo notifications, that seems to be working well, just not the schedule.

I'll try deleting the app and reinstalling it. 

Out of curiosity, will I loose camera settings by uninstalling the app? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

Out of curiosity, will I loose camera settings by uninstalling the app? 

No.

FWIW, another thing you could try is removing all the devices from the account, resetting them, and onboarding again.

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

Not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

@Jo060 

Happy that you’re on top with the schedules.

I have seen recent reports that indicate mode setting corruption has occurred for some customers and deleting and rebuilding them is required.

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB

Uninstalling/reinstalling the app seemed to have fixed the issue, armed on schedule this evening. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

Uninstalling/reinstalling the app seemed to have fixed the issue, armed on schedule this evening. 

Great!

notrabbi5
Guide
Guide

First of all, thanks for everyone's help - unfortunately, it's still not working. As suggested, I deleted the custom schedules within the set schedule and rebuilt it (except Armed, which can't be deleted.). That didn't fix it, I have compared both phones' settings and made sure settings were all kosher including IOS auxiliary and support settings. But no luck. The app appears to know where we both are at all times. I feel like my last result is a restore to defaults and reset up, however, I really don't want to take this step yet. Any other suggestions? Arlo representatives - any help?

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

Schedule is still working as it should, but Geofence is a bit screwy.

I noticed that when I come home, all the cameras disarm except one, which has the same settings as the others. I often have to go to modes, choose any option other than geofence (which is already selected), then change back to Geofence for it to disarm that last camera. 

I also have my wife's phone set up to the account. If she comes home while we're both out, it won't disarm any of the cameras until I get home, or she disarms them manually. Today, I turned off my phone location and when she left, it armed all the cameras (except for the one I'm having issues with). It's almost like it's using my phone as the primary phone unless it can't find it (turned location off) at which point it uses hers. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

I also have my wife's phone set up to the account. 

Is your wife using a friend account, or are you trying to share the same account?

@Jo060 wrote:

It's almost like it's using my phone as the primary phone unless it can't find it (turned location off) at which point it uses hers. 

It's supposed to use both phones (switching to away when both of you are away, and switching to home when either of you are at home).

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

She's set up as a friend account with all the access options enabled. When we tried to share the account, it would log the other phone.

I'm not too sure why it's not using both phones for the geofence. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you signing in with the same admin account? Check the auto fill password and try again. 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I'm signing in with my account and she's signing it with her account on an entirely different phone. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Jo060

Thanks, I noticed you already answered that, sorry. My threads got mixed up. I'll look in to this for you and provide an update.