Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geo Fencing With Kids iPhones

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JeffScott
Initiate
Initiate

I currently have a geo-fence set up with my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone. We both have the Arlo app installed on our iPhones. I want to add my children into the geo-fence set up so when they are at home the cameras are not armed. However, I do not want to give them access to the cameras and all the settings associated with installing the app on their phones. How do I specifically add their iPhones to the geo fence setup without giving them app access?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JeffScott
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks - these are adult children 18-20. I don't want them messing with the cameras and/or their feeds/settings. Buying add-ons, carrying sensor chips, etc. is not something I wish to do.

I believe I have successfully solved the issue.

Granted Access via Arlo iOS App via invitation. Only selected the Root Arlo Router (with our custom location name) under the Cameras section. Unchecked all other actual "cameras". Did NOT confer Access Rights. Both kids subsequently accepted the email invites, created accounts and installed the Arlo app on their iPhones. In this order: They signed in on their respective Arlo apps and enabled TouchID - per my account 'friend' settings there were no devices available to them in their apps. Next, I edited my geo fence and selected their iPhones as additional threshold devices within our geo fence. Importantly, they had to close out of the Arlo app and reopen it. Once that was done, they are now presented with the iOS Location Services privacy warning to "Allow Arlo to use their location: when using app, always or never". We obviously chose "always". Setup is now complete. They are now successfully part of the geo fence for our home. And cannot access or change any settings, cameras, modes or other info within our Arlo setup.

Perhaps this will help another user in the same situation who wants certain user devices as part of the geo fence without any meaningful access to the actual Arlo system at a particular location.

Thanks for your reply as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Check out these KB articles:

https://kb.arlo.com/000039106/How-can-multiple-people-access-the-same-Arlo-account

https://kb.arlo.com/000039122/How-do-I-add-friends-to-my-Arlo-account

https://kb.arlo.com/1103229/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-my...

https://kb.arlo.com/1101077/How-do-I-edit-my-friend-s-privileges-in-my-Arlo-account

If setting up friend access and privleges doesn't give you the restriction you need then an alternative would be to get Samsung SmartThings, integrate Arlo into smartthings and install arlo pilot, get a smartthings arrival sensor. The arrival sensor would sense when the kids get home and thru smartthings and arlo pilot would change the arlo mode to what you want automatically (disarm, arm, custom). The arlo app and the smartthings app would not need to be installed on the kids phones, they just carry the arrival sensor with them. 

JeffScott
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks - these are adult children 18-20. I don't want them messing with the cameras and/or their feeds/settings. Buying add-ons, carrying sensor chips, etc. is not something I wish to do.

I believe I have successfully solved the issue.

Granted Access via Arlo iOS App via invitation. Only selected the Root Arlo Router (with our custom location name) under the Cameras section. Unchecked all other actual "cameras". Did NOT confer Access Rights. Both kids subsequently accepted the email invites, created accounts and installed the Arlo app on their iPhones. In this order: They signed in on their respective Arlo apps and enabled TouchID - per my account 'friend' settings there were no devices available to them in their apps. Next, I edited my geo fence and selected their iPhones as additional threshold devices within our geo fence. Importantly, they had to close out of the Arlo app and reopen it. Once that was done, they are now presented with the iOS Location Services privacy warning to "Allow Arlo to use their location: when using app, always or never". We obviously chose "always". Setup is now complete. They are now successfully part of the geo fence for our home. And cannot access or change any settings, cameras, modes or other info within our Arlo setup.

Perhaps this will help another user in the same situation who wants certain user devices as part of the geo fence without any meaningful access to the actual Arlo system at a particular location.

Thanks for your reply as well.