Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Galaxy cellphone "Fast Charger" charges Arlo Pro *w/ a caveat

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ducktaper
Star
Star

Here's the kitchen counter test that was performed in my house today, duplicate at your own risk, of course...

Arlo Pro standard battery charger with it's cable plugged into a Samsung Galaxy S6 cellphone that came standard with a USB wall-plug "Fast Charger" (charger is capable of standard 5v or "fast charge" 9v); the Samsung went into fast-charge mode and began charging.

Plugged the Samsung Galaxy S6 fast charger  **with the Arlo charger's cable** into the Arlo Pro camera and it started charging the Arlo's battery. The cable change was due to the micro plug of the Samsung being too wide to fit the Arlo's port. 

I did this test because I can. The finding to me is that if one has a Galaxy fast charger AND either (1) Dremels down the width of the micro plug's plastic a titsch, or (2) finds a USB cable with a skinny mico end, that Galaxy charger is now a second Arlo charger. 

That's all it means.

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ducktaper,

As a reminder, NETGEAR does not recommend the use of any aftermarket power adapter/cable to charge your Arlo Pro Rechargeable battery. Always use the power adapter/cable included with your Arlo Pro system/rechargeable battery. Using third-party aftermarket power adapters may damage the camera/battery and void the warranty.

JamesC

serghe
Guide
Guide

Hey James,
How can we buy power adapter/cable in addition to the one that was supplied? (I want to keep one of my cameras plugged in).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

serghe,

Take a look here: Arlo Pro Rechargeable Battery (VMA4400)

JamesC

serghe
Guide
Guide

Thanks but I don't need the battery just the cable and charger. Is that an option to buy?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

serghe,

All available Arlo products and accessories can be found here: All products and Accessories

At this time, the only accessories available are in the provided link.

JamesC

emmygeez
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe a micro usb cable small enough to fit an Arlo Q pro can be found easly. GoPro usb cables that I use with my Gopro 3 will fit the Arlo Q pro. The connector is small enough to fit an Arlo Q. I am hoping that the wall charger tested using a Samsung fast charge will also work for me. I'd like more people to try it and get the same results so we who want to use a wall charger continuously with our Arlo Q  can charge them with another source other than a $49 battery / cable!!!! NETgear you should let us buy accessories from you separtately ie: cable or battery or wall chager and NOT try to always profit from your customers who were willing to pay your price for a great product.$49 each here $15each there!!! Lets get real with your marketing! Know your customers. we are not Cheap buyers  Quit trying to always take from us. Give us SEPARTATE choices  at a reasonable price and value and we will buy from you. Or we will go elsewhere or find another way! Do not think you can keep us loyal to NETgear by force, when NETgear is not being Loyal to us in my opinion.