Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Formatting a USB HDD failed multiple times.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tomasu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just attached a 500GB USB HDD to the VMB4000r2 that came with my 2 camera kit. It failed multiple times usually resulting in 0/0 storage available. After unplugging and plugging the drive back in and attempting to format again, several times (4-5+) it eventually seems to have worked. Not a question or a support request, more of a bug report than anything else. Someone less patient or tech savvy would have given up sooner. Not a good look for such an expensive system.

I probably didn't need to bother as it was already formatted FAT32, but I wanted to make sure it was a fully supported fs for the device. I've found devices /sometimes/ have their own quirks regarding external storage and its often better to let the device itself do the formatting.

edit: I apologize for posting this in the Pro forum rather than the Pro2. Not sure how that happened.

6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Tomasu wrote:

Just attached a 500GB USB HDD to the VMB4000r2 that came with my 2 camera kit. It failed multiple times usually resulting in 0/0 storage available.

That might not be compatible with the Arlo USB on Pro 2 hubs.

For a start, an HDD draws more power from the hub than a USB stick.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Tomasu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did get it to work eventually. As I mentioned in my original Post.

Savage0328
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a HDD 

Toshiba - Canvio Basics 2TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive  - Same issue but no success - PLEASE HELP

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

See also:

SmartHub will not reformat drive - Arlo Communities

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator