Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Fixed length recording not the correct length? (Arlo Pro)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DuncanYB
Star
Star

I recently bought an Arlo Pro and have it set up to record a fixed length with various rules. I have 3 cameras and set it up so that when 1 camera detects motion another records automatically as well (they cover the same area but from a different angle.) The rules are created so that they always record 90 seconds. However, motion was just triggered (and this has happened various times) and the recording length was 34 seconds and 56 seconds.

Two things that are surprising:

1. The recording length is not the same. Both recordings are triggered by the same rule so the recording length should be more or less the same (I could understand a 1-2 second difference, but not 22)

2. The recording length does not equal the length specified in the rule

Filed a support request: 28774791

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DuncanYB
Star
Star

Figured it out... when you go to "live view" the recording seems to stop. That is , euuh, pretty stupid in terms of user experience if you ask me. When I get a warning I want to know what is going on, yet at the same time I want the recording to continue. I hope the Arlo developers can fix this asap, as that is a serious design/user experience flaw if you ask me.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Why-does-Arlo-stop-recording-motion-when-I-am-looking-live...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Occasionally, my camera that's the furthest away from the base cuts off at 28 seconds instead of recording the full 30s of the rule I made. Agree that 22s is way too much. Are you on the latest firmware?

DuncanYB
Star
Star

Yes, latest firmware. And it cuts off not 22 seconds before, but after 34 instead of 90. The 22 seconds is the difference between Cam A and Cam B, which should be in-sync according to the rule I created and both should record 90 seconds. So that is 56 seconds missing for one camera.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 09.45.53.png

DuncanYB
Star
Star

Figured it out... when you go to "live view" the recording seems to stop. That is , euuh, pretty stupid in terms of user experience if you ask me. When I get a warning I want to know what is going on, yet at the same time I want the recording to continue. I hope the Arlo developers can fix this asap, as that is a serious design/user experience flaw if you ask me.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Why-does-Arlo-stop-recording-motion-when-I-am-looking-live...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes...as u found the Live View commend overrides the armed modes

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ah right. You never said you were hitting Live View during the recording time. That explains it. The desire to continue recording while you've hit Live View is probably over in the Idea Exchange. If it is, give it kudos as the more kudos it has, the more likely the engineers are to implement the idea. If it's not already there, you should add it there

DuncanYB
Star
Star
I never realized I did. And never realized that Arlo worked this way. Heck, if I knew I probably would not have bought the system 😕