Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
DanTran99
Star
Star
Please make the recording start faster on motion detection. I have my cameras setup outside and it misses the first few seconds from motion detection.

When I view a recording, a person is already more than halfway down my driveway before the recording starts. And my driveway is super long...

Another camera facing the front door doesn’t start recording until the person is already at the door
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
View the video inbeded at the bottom of this KB article. It goes into a lot of the technical stuff.

The take away is that the motion detection zone is smaller than the field of view.

https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
DanTran99
Star
Star

It won’t let me attach the 9 second video...

brh
Master
Master

@DanTran99

The tags you have checked show that you are using the original Wire Free HD cameras. That was a notorious problem and has been resolved in the Pro models. The cameras you are listing have been out for a few years and I doubt if there will be any more changes to the design. When the new Arlo outdoor lights with motion sensors com out soon, you might be able to trigger your camera to start recording earlier by using the motion sensor in the light.

Brian

DanTran99
Star
Star

That was my fault. I was too quick to tap. I have the Arlo Pro wirefree. It didn’t let me edit

brh
Master
Master

@DanTran99

Ok, I got you. I have the pro models but I am using them with Smartthings so since Smartthings and Arlo have to communicate with each other there is a 3 or 4 second delay. I have solved that by placing other sensors a little further away so the cameras trigger earlier. I don't know if you could have one camera trigger the other one.

But, people here are saying that there is no delay if used only with Arlo. Remember that all of these motion sensors work best if the object has to go across the camera not towards it.

Brian

DanTran99
Star
Star

3A8A9134-E331-4110-B599-066C6D8D0D7B.jpeg

This is the first frame of a 10 second clip. You can see how long my driveway is and it literally goes across the screen...

the white car car just came home. And because of our pillars at the driveway entrance and blue van parked there, it takes a good 4 seconds or so just to pull up that far. Another 3 seconds to stop at the garage...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DanTran99,

The best distance for motion detection is 5 to 20 feet with a maximum of 23 feet. In your screenshot, it appears the end of your driveway is well beyond that meaning the camera cannot detect motion until the objects are closer.

For more information on this, take a look here: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free, ...

JamesC

DanTran99
Star
Star
@JamesC
I thought it might be that, but I realized that I didn’t save the sensitivity level. After doing so, it improved but still starts late on some videos.

I’m going to post two screenshots. I press play so that it actually shows the first frame vs the preview picture.

This first image shows a car coming from the right side. As you can see, the car is quite far and it triggered the motion detection.

The second is an image of my brother. He got out of the van and started walking towards the front door. But the first frame is him about 6 feet from the van.
DanTran99
Star
Star

Image 11ADB11B5-38CE-4938-9A3F-27BF5C60BC93.jpeg

image 2

1325356F-2938-42CE-AFBB-A354EA2DFAAE.png

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Have you got the motion sensitivity set at 100 now? and saved?

DanTran99
Star
Star

@steve_t

Yes it is confirmed saved at 100. This improved the motion detection speed a lot but it still puzzles me as to when it starts recording.

I apologize, but the previous post didn't show the images so I'm reposting them.

Car coming towards drivewayCar coming towards drivewayBrother getting out of car and walking towards front doorBrother getting out of car and walking towards front door

steve_t
Master Master
Master

We can't see the pictures you've included until one of the moderators authorises it.

PIR motion detection is an inconsistent thing, especially at distance. PIRs work with "beams" and only trigger when these beams are crossed. So large IR objects like trucks trigger the cameras more easily and object moving from left to right or right to left of your view will trigger activation whereas smaller objects like people walking directly towards the camera are far less likely to trigger them at any given sensitivity. Objects reflect more IR during sunny days than at night so you're also more likely to have motion sensing trigger during the day than at night at a given sensitivity.

DanTran99
Star
Star

@steve_t

That makes sense regarding PIR. This is definitely different than my Wired CCTV system where I can set Motion detection zones and it doesn't matter how far or small the object is.

The thing that still gets me is that my brother is close to the camera when recording started but far from his van.

Whereas, the car coming from the right is very far away and partially hidden by the tree but recording started there. I can see the whole action of the car coming and turning the corner.

I do experience the motion detection difference in day and night. In all the night time videos tonight, the cars are practically exiting the frame by the time the recording starts...

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
View the video inbeded at the bottom of this KB article. It goes into a lot of the technical stuff.

The take away is that the motion detection zone is smaller than the field of view.

https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

DanTran99
Star
Star

@migman_2001

The images in the KB does not adequately show the detection zone vs camera view. But the video itself does outline the Camera Field of View VS PIR Dection Angle. That explains why things are always fully in frame before recording starts. Thank you!

As for the distance, I understand they are going with lab test results and theoretical estimations for distance, but the camera proves to have better distance than they estimated. HAHAHA. That's great news for me since it still detects objects 50 feet away for motion.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The night and day detection difference is so large, I run a schedule for modes, Day, Night. Day and Night modes both have the exact same rules but night rules have motion sensitivity set at 100 and day rules range from about 50-92 depending on where they are.

The car and your brother are exactly what I was saying about large IR signatures and across the FOV movement.

The Arlo Q and Arlo Baby work off pixel detection. That is, when pixels change, motion is triggered. This would be far better and allows zones but requires full time power. Arlo Pro 2 under AC power has a hybrid PIR - pixel detection system that allows zones but still isn't as responsive as a full pixel detection system

DanTran99
Star
Star
@steve_t
Pixel detection would be great if it was available for Pro while plugged in. I have an all Pro setup but have certain cams hardwired because of how much it’s recording.

I hope netgear would add the option for certain features when plugged in. (CVR, Pixel Detection, Power Source Change Alerts, etc.) those would seem useful.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The images you provided show 2 major issues:

1) WAY too much area in the camera view. Rotate the camera down. You don't want to see airplanes or even cars on the street. Motion detection only reaches about 25 feet max for people anyways.

2) The motion is directly at the camera. PIR detection works best when motion is across the FOV, not at the camera. The Pro series have much enhanced detection but you can position the camera to maximize detection.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

DanTran99 wrote:
@steve_t
Pixel detection would be great if it was available for Pro while plugged in. I have an all Pro setup but have certain cams hardwired because of how much it’s recording.

I hope netgear would add the option for certain features when plugged in. (CVR, Pixel Detection, Power Source Change Alerts, etc.) those would seem useful.

The Pro 2 gets CVR and 3 second lookback and zones when AC powered. Unfortunately, it doesn't get dedicated pixel detection for motion